5 replies to this topic

#1 Tolkien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:57 PM

Hi there,

I have always had some performance issues with this game, but recently it has gone from bad to unplayable. The stuttering and frame rate craters are so pronounced that even with artemis I will sometimes lose lock on a painted enemy since I can`t keep the reticle aligned with their target box.

Seriously, it is this bad over periods of up to 7 or 8 seconds, then it goes back to smooth as can be.

My hardware is:
core i7 2.8 GHz (4 hyperthreaded cores - 8 virtual cores)
ram 16GB
video card radeon HD6990M 2GB
HDD dual 7200 rpm laptop disks in RAID0

Not a monster machine, but good for a laptop, and more than capable of handling other games at much higher detail and resolution.

I originally treated this as a graphics performance issue by turning everything down to `low` one at a time, then by reducing resolution to the minimum. This did raise the maximum framerate when nothing was going on, but as soon as things started to happen it still all goes to hell. This indicates that the framerate/performance problems are not at all related to hardware.

What seems to happen is that as enemies come within a certain range my computer stops everything to load their assets (framerate craters are accompanied by something getting loaded from the HDD). This suspicion is reinforced by the observation that I don`t have to see the enemy for this to happen. I can be staring at the side of a hill 10m away and the framerate will still dive (I believe that z culling should prevent the system from trying to render anything past what blocks LOS).

So, what would cause framerate to crater when you are staring at a brown wall that normally renders at the refresh rate?

My suspicion is that enemy mech assets are not being properly cached at match start, and are dynamically done as those enemies come into range. Since the performance issues seem to align with when camo and paint schemes came out, it might be that old assets were being cached but that new ones are not.

Another possibility is that since I am in Europe, my connection is fast but the latency to the game servers is high (180 ms usually), if rendering is not properly decoupled from network tasks, then this would also be consistent with fps craters when something interesting happens.

P.S. I have check temperatures and am not overheating, and have also completely scrubbed then reinstalled video drivers just to be sure. Tonight I will check to see if the game is properly using the multicore CPU as other users have indicated this to be `the problem`.

Edited by Tolkien, 04 December 2012 - 12:03 AM.

#2 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

Since there has been no response to this I suggest escalating this to support@mwomercs.com.

#3 Tolkien

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

I think they are aware of it - it was just posted to add colour.

After more testing I take back what I said about asset caching - the HDD light does not always flicker when this happens, so it is probably not that.

#4 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

Ever since the recent patch i've been running into frequent visual stuttering, delayed input commands: Own mech warping to different positions/facing wrong direction, Zoom/Thermal taking 1-4 seconds to work, SRM weapons not visually firing for several seconds.

Doesnt seem to be inherent to any specific map or conditions as it will happen immediately upon the start of the match as well as during fights very frequently, then stop, then start again. So much so the game is currently unplayable for me, hehe.

At first i figured it was a connection problem, but without any conclusive results from the tweaks i've made; disabling firewalls, setting QoS, running ping tests through various programs/sites, router/modem resets, etc. The issue, at the very least, is not something related to my connection hardware. Game ping is same as always: 50-65, even during the 'event'.

Next i tried CPU threading - It appears setting the program to run off strictly physical cores and setting it back to physical+virtual all while in-game reduces the frequency and intensity of the event, but doesnt eliminate it.

Since the processing handling seems to be my only lead at this point, im going to try a few other modifications... seeing as how i cant actually play the game effectively, i've got all the time! :)

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,712 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:08 AM

strange fps drops

Follow the thread above, primarily observing CPU speed then setting utilization via Power Options. What you may be seeing is either the CPU throttling down and/or the system isolating the MWO work to only 2 cores, those 2 cores hitting the heat scale then CPU throttling down. So far this has helped several laptop users. Setting Processor Power Management below 100% has helped several stop the micro stuttering issues after eliminating any type of program running in the background that is hogging CPU usage.

Just a note, setting the PPM below 100% prevents Intel Turbo Boost from kicking in. Try 97% to 99%.

This link provides a step by step instructions.

http://tautvidas.com...el-turbo-boost/

Ok, now I remember what I saw when I was researching new systems and comparing laptops vs desktop CPU and what happens when it turbo boosts..

http://news.cnet.com...0362882-23.html

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 10 December 2012 - 05:19 AM.

#6 Tolkien

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 10 December 2012 - 04:08 AM, said:

strange fps drops

Follow the thread above, primarily observing CPU speed then setting utilization via Power Options. What you may be seeing is either the CPU throttling down and/or the system isolating the MWO work to only 2 cores, those 2 cores hitting the heat scale then CPU throttling down. So far this has helped several laptop users. Setting Processor Power Management below 100% has helped several stop the micro stuttering issues after eliminating any type of program running in the background that is hogging CPU usage.

Just a note, setting the PPM below 100% prevents Intel Turbo Boost from kicking in. Try 97% to 99%.

This link provides a step by step instructions.

http://tautvidas.com...el-turbo-boost/

Ok, now I remember what I saw when I was researching new systems and comparing laptops vs desktop CPU and what happens when it turbo boosts..

http://news.cnet.com...0362882-23.html

Thanks for the recommendation - I gave it a shot but it doesn't seem to resolve the issue :D

Come to think of it, I might have already had turbo boost turned off in the bios, but still, it was worth a shot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users