#1 Eclipse186

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

So, I've been running my D-DC as follows:

2x MLAS (One in each arm)
2x AC/5's (2 tons)
3x Artemis SRM 6's (3 tons)

14 DHS, Endo, Standard 350, 576/614 armor.

I've been having pretty good success with it so far (usually average around 500 damage), and I think the AC/5's are just *okay*.

So I've been thinking that being that I'm pretty much a medium range brawler I've been toying with throwing in an AC/20 or LBX 10, but I'm not quite sure. What do you guys think? Thanks!

#2 Gaeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

Just copy/pasting my reply to another thread.

I don't think there's a true ultimate, a lot of it depends on your preference.

Standard seems to be the DDC with 3 SRM racks (combo of 6's, 4's, with/without artemis), 1 or 2 ballistics (AC20, Gauss Cannon, 2 UAC5, 2 LBX10), 2 energy (2 large/medium normal/pulse lasers) and ECM. Engines range from 275to 360 and I rarely/never see an XL engine but they certainly could work (albeit significantly added risk and cost and they limit your ballistics options). Endo saves you about 5 tons at the cost of 14 crit slots. DHS are 3 crit slot each. Crit slots are *hard* to find on these guys. At the engine benchmarks of 275/300/325/350 you get the option to store extra double heat sinks in the engine, saving crit slots - but these additional DHS are 1.4, not 2.0 like the 10 that come with any engine 250+.

I currently run a fairly standard 2ML, AC20, 3SRM6+A with ECM, Endo, DHS, and a standard 350 engine (Mastered, 61KPH). I've seen a lot of variants of what I outlined above. I'm occasionally tempted to downgrade to a 325 or 300 engine and swap the medium lasers for larges, but the heat can get unwieldy and I have no crit slots left for DHS.

On Artemis vs. No Artemis:
If you don't go Artemis I recommend SRM4's over 6's. The spread on 6 is just too great for me without Artemis. Experiment before buying Artemis, it's very expensive (as is the ammo) and more importantly costs additional crit slots and tons. (IE, 9 slots and 12 tons for 3 SRM6+Artemis is a lot!)

On Ballistics:
I am a sucker for the AC20, but I've tried all the variants I outlined. Note that if you were do to an XL engine, you would be down to 9 slots in your torso - ruling out the AC20 and the double UAC/LBX builds.

AC20: I like the one shot focused *PUNCH* of 18 SRMS+AC20, then duck back behind cover. It is not the best weapon out there, but I really like it.

Gauss: 15 damage is nothing to sneeze at and gives you a ton of range. I haven't used it on a brawler since the patch, but I use it in other Atlas's.

UAC5's: Excellent DPS provided you can keep the target in sight. Also have great range (540->1350 or whatever). Downsides for my playstyle: 1) I prefer the one shot punch as stated above, keeping a bead on the target means not being able to swivel to take damage on arms. 2) I find they run through ammo at an insane rate. But they do great damage and have great range.

LB10X's: Excellent DPS provided you can keep the target in sight. My complaint here is they're EXCEPTIONAL vs medium/lightly armored heavies, but pretty bad against other assaults because they spread damage across the entire mech due to their spread shot. These put you at a disadvantage vs really heavily armored mechs that are putting out the same level of damage as you but to more of a pinpointed location, in my experience.

#3 Eclipse186

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

Excellent post Gaeb. I think I'll try my hand with the AC/20 that came with the chassis and see how much I like that before shelling out 1.6 mil CBills for dual LB10X's.

#4 Grimlox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 511 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

Great advice Gaeb. What I'm currently using on the DDC is

2LL, Gauss, 3 SRM6+A Endo, DHS, ECM std 300 engine.

I think this change from your setup allowed me to fit in an extra DHS to help compensate for the Large Lasers.

The build you are using is really good and I may give that a try, but for the fights that take longer to close the distance the Gauss plus LLas are really great for doing some dmg before you get up close and personal. Really all depends on the map and how you like to play. One setup better within 270m the other lets you be useful beyond that.

With max armour my setup has 1.3 tons free iirc but no crit slots to use it. I might look into a 350 engine and trying out your setup just to see how much a difference the speed makes, but I still need to unlock 2 more atlas variants. Does the std 350 come in handy for other Atlas variants?

#5 Eclipse186

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

I don't know about the other chassis' but I'll tell ya: the 350 really brings the D-DC to life, I won't even consider dropping it for anything else. I'm thoroughly enjoying my current build, just wanted to try something more *effective* I suppose, as far as the ballistics are concerned.

#6 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

If you want a non-standard DDC build... here's the one I use, to great effect.

300 STD engine, Endo Steel, 12 Double Heatsinks, Artemis, ECM

Large Laser
Gauss Rifle w/ 3 tons ammo
2x LRM 15 w/ 5 tons ammo
SRM 6 w/ 1 ton ammo
TAG laser

If they are at range, you rain down serious pain with the Gauss rifle + LRM's, while tagging them.

If they get up close, you have a Gauss rifle + SRM 6, as well as the large laser.

#7 Gaeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:09 AM

My pasted post was in response to a thread named something like "what's the ultimate brawler atlas"

There's definitely playstyle ramifications of the AC20 route. On an upside, your torso is most of your damage output and since its burst fire you can swivel to take damage on your arms between volleys. On a downside, your torso is most of your damage and its vertical firing arc/turn speed aren't exactly outstanding (second worst vertical arc in the game per another thread).

I've been goofing off on my -D (300 engine, no upgrades) variant with 2LL+2ML+2UAC5+2SRM4 and it does great damage at medium range. My -RS (325 engine, 20 DHS) is running a snipery build with 2ERPPC's using UAC5+2SL+2SRM4 for short range, and its wierd that I swivel to take damage on arms out of habit not realizing my main armaments are *in my arms* .. doh.

Edited by Gaeb, 10 December 2012 - 04:55 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users