Should The Counter To Ecm Be As Low-Effort As Ecm Is?

50 replies to this topic

#41 Stone Wall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

View PostSorho, on 10 December 2012 - 02:06 PM, said:

If you can hit a light reliably with an AC/20 my hat is off to you.

When the projectile speed is increased, this will be easier.

#42 Blark

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationMunich

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 11 December 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

No, that's what I mean. Streaks are still way OP, but ECM is just kind of "hiding" this fact. In PUG games ECM+streaks=god mode

Too bad not everyone is realizing this problem.
Played with 2-3 ravens after the patch and it was ridiculous: we had ecm superiority in almost every game (was to be expected, I guess using 4 ecm bots would be even easier) and could wipe out all enemy lights with ease with our streaks while they could not touch us, needless to say that it was quite easy to win all those games.

This is a real silly concept of game-play, and It's no fun if you ask me (yeah, thats right, easy wins get old quick unless you are a scrub)..
I have no problem with ecm itself (although I would have wished for a little different implementation), but I would not mind if streaks would be removed altogether (or finally balanced well, there have been real good ideas around the community, like this for exaple: http://mwomercs.com/...add-a-band-aid/)

Edited by Blark, 11 December 2012 - 05:29 PM.

#43 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

View PostRobinSage, on 11 December 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

Am I the only one that uses "COUNTER" on their ECM?

ECM DOES have a passive counter ECM mode. Hit the ECM toggle.

Tag works great if you have 'spearheading' mechs running ECM in counter mode....ie:

Have 1 or 2 Cicadas running ECM, preferably one of these or a support medium will be carrying TAG behind them. Switch both ECM's to Counter right before hitting the first ECM on the other team....TAG....launch LRM's and repeat.

ECM defeated.

You guys are all looking for fixes to something that is clearly about tactics not about balance or game design. Oh, and if you can't coordinate your PUGS to run counter at the same time, or they don't follow the logic, then SORRY....but it's a team game.

ECM needs no fix. It works fine. And the counter to it works fine too.

Learn to adapt, not ask for fixes.

Posted ImageH

Hmmm... wait, so maybe ECM wasn't the right solution to the Streakcat problem...

Posted Image

Oh, and the FPS bugs that came with the CryEngine update!

Posted Image

And new feature implementation!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow, what's this game doing in Beta??? It's clearly ready for release! :P

#44 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

View Postsoarra, on 10 December 2012 - 02:47 PM, said:

yeah that was an easy one.. but in general they are not too hard to pick off.. and most are pretty dumb

It helps that most of the trial Light mechs end up going about 97km/hr so in general they are very fragile and only slightly faster than a catapult :P

Tags a horrible counter to ECM as well. For the amount you sacrifice to fit tag (big chunk of firepower) it should nullify tag completely. ECM doesnt every require a hardpoint >.>

Edited by Asmosis, 11 December 2012 - 06:31 PM.

#45 Funkin Disher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPPC Apocalypse Bunker, Sydney

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

I woud've thought BAP would ake a natural counter to ECM, one being based around finding you easier and the other hiding you easier...

Did... did that make too much sense? I always thought that was the reason very few mechs had both BAP and ECM in previous MW games...

#46 KingNobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

I think the implementation of 2 ideas would fix the ECM gap.

1. Make NARC beacons nullify ECM for the affected 'mech (and then we might actually see a NARC beacon out there)

2. Split ECM into 3 different components, as they were in TT. Guardian ECM, Angel ECM, and Null Sig. Each could do a portion of the current ECM functions. Null Sig cancels targeting and prevents locks (but only on the 'mech carrying it), guardian increases lock times and shortens detection range, and angel counters BAP, Artemis, and C3/C3i preventing target sharing. Make them all weigh 1.5 tons, giving a weight of 4.5 tons for the full suite, and occupying 3 critical slots. This is small enough so that the full suite could be put on a light, but big enough to force pilots to make choices on whether or not to run the full suite, or 1-2 pieces, or any at all.

#47 Mad Pig

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 487 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

What about BAP having a x% reduction on the area effect of ECM? Since ECM wasn't implemented true to TT rules, why not tweak the BAP as a passive counter to ECM?

Other than that, I think ECM is fine. Don't nerf ECM because people can't figure out how to counter it, instead provide a sensor buff (for example, BAP gives a 10% reduction to ECM effective bubble).

Worthy compromise? Or did someone spike my slop?

#48 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:01 AM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 10 December 2012 - 10:50 PM, said:

Look, I'm perfectly fine playing in teams that consist largely of AS7-D-DCs and RVN-3Ls. I just want competition, and I will always adapt to use what is best at any given moment. However, a large portion of the player base is *very* unhappy with this paradigm. If we simply say "ECM will always be the only effective counter to ECM" then people are going to complain about the unbalanced state that this creates.

well...we had a wildly spread setup of cataphracts, awesomes, atlas´ and 2 or 3 ECM mechs... we literally kicked an 8 ECM team (4 DDC´s several ravens and chicas) out of their armor...i think we had 3 or so LRM kills on our count as well...it was not a quick´n´easy match, but that´s what made it just interesting...

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 13 December 2012 - 01:02 AM.

#49 HC Harlequin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 655 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

View PostPygar, on 10 December 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

but ECM does actually require some effort to really utilize.

umm. I guess pushing a button every once in a while is now considered "effort"
[boggle]
http://mwomercs.com/...65-what-is-ecm/

View PostKingNobody, on 11 December 2012 - 06:57 PM, said:

1. Make NARC beacons nullify ECM for the affected 'mech (and then we might actually see a NARC beacon out there)

Of all the things that ECM should be able to do, interrupting NARC is definately one of them. As long as NARC is a broadband RF transmission with advanced targetting data.. then.. yes
And another for the Corps
http://mwomercs.com/...65-what-is-ecm/

#50 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 10 December 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

While I do enjoy some aspects of the game that ECM has created (mechwarrior online versus lockwarrior online), I'm not sure that having TAG be the counter to ECM is good balance. Sure, holding a tag laser steady on an AS7-D-DC is really easy, but doing so on a Raven, Cicada, or Commando is much, much more difficult.

I don't think that having the counter to a powerful, low-effort item require high effort is a good balancing paradigm.

Should the built-in counter to ECM be something that is also passive, but perhaps only function well at close range, so that you have to put yourself into danger to effectively counter ECM? I realize that ECM itself currently functions like this, but when you have to bring rock to beat rock that's not really good game design.

+1.
At its current state ECM acts as a Paladin aura buff. The counter should function as the same; an aura debuffer.

#51 Cebi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

Good necro.

I still agree though :mellow:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users