For the People who have read the Battle tech series.

32 replies to this topic

#21 Richard Devlin

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

I have 2 that are good 1st the warrior series and next is the gray death saga :)

#22 ChalybsUmbra

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

View PostNiggles, on 15 May 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

That's the other series I was trying to remember! Warrior was a great series. I wish these were available on kindle or some other DD service. :)

You can also find most of the battletech novels on epubbud.com

#23 hilix mercer

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:18 PM

I have every book and have been a member of BattleCorps from Day 1.

From the classic era, I would have to say Heir to the Dragon it my favorite. the warrior triolgy is a close second. the Victor Milan - Camachos Cabalero Merc unit books were pretty good as well. if you ever find a copy of The Sword and the Dagger it is a good book as well. I haven't read it in a while beacuse mime it 25+ years old and yellowing and i dont want to tear it up. but if you put it out on kindle I would buy another copy.

i know this thread is about the classic era, but Mechwarrior Darkage: A Target of Opportunity and the Battlecorps Series: A Bonfire of Worlds were both great. A Bonfire of Worlds has a awesome ending. It will change your whole preception on the republic of the sphere.

From the BattleCorps stuff, My Favorite was the Proflieration Cycle. It was great to see how each of the great houses got Battlemech technology. Also the founding of the Clans was good as well.

#24 Bommer

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 83 posts
  • LocationTacoma, Washington

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

Actually, my favorite reading has been "The Twilight of the Clans" series.

#25 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

Wolves on the Border

#26 Dalfsson

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:39 AM

is this any help? [Redacted]

Edited by Egomane, 14 June 2013 - 08:42 AM.
CoC violation

#27 Sleeping Bear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationGuam

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:51 AM

I liked Legend of the Jade Phoenix and Warrior. I can also profess liking nearly everything from Stackpole. However the series I really liked was written by Victor Milan and followed Camacho's Caballeros in the three books Close Quarters, Hearts of Chaos, and Black Dragon. The really funny thing about those novels is that the main character is NOT a mechwarrior.

#28 dogowar

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationEssex UK

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:55 AM

Try here: [Redacted]
Enjoy Posted Image

Edited by Egomane, 14 June 2013 - 08:42 AM.
CoC violations

#29 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

View PostTHE 4thbreed, on 15 May 2012 - 03:11 PM, said:

This is strictly for the people that have read the Classical Battle tech series. Which book is your favorite in the classical era?

I'magonnacheat...

The warrior trilogy. It's one book spread through three covers!

#30 Okie135

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 231 posts
  • LocationMercenary Training Command, Outreach

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:07 PM

It's a hard choice for me between Stackpole's Blood of Kerensky Trilogy and his Warrior Trilogy. Best one though?....

I'd have to go with Lethal Heritage. Much of it is spent developing the characters, but the big reveal at the end is SO worth it.

#31 Victor MacGregor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationBear Flag Republic

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

Decision at Thunder Rift was my first novel, and as such holds a special part in my heart. But then Mechwarrior Joanna won me over in the Legend of the Jade Phoenix trilogy.

If I had to choose though, I guess I'd choose Way of the Clans

Edited by Victor MacGregor, 21 May 2012 - 10:06 PM.

#32 Sibco Reject

Rookie

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:12 PM

I have to agree with the people who said anything by Michael A Stackpole

#33 CheezeDoodle

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationGreater Phoenix, AZ

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

As far as a single book = Wolves on the Border - Reading it really set the tone and background for the Combine and the DCMS. Would have liked to have seen more of the Wolves background come out in the book.

Stackpole really shaped the overall Classic timeline and events more than the other writers, so for overall impact, I would have to go with the Warrior series. Others writers really picked it up with the Clan timeline books, but when the writers started writing actions for other writer's characters, it felt a little discombobulated. There really should have been a Jihad series or novel to tie Twilight of the Clans to Dark Ages ( I have heard talk of something in electronic format), but with all the writers in at the end writing about major events, there were too many loose ends to tie up. Dark Age was a little hard to get into and follow with all the splinter groups and political alliances with no real background information to hang the stories on. I used to have all the books except the Sword and the Dagger. Beat the hell out of those books and gave them to a buddy to enjoy.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users