Hunchback 4G Triple Ac/2 Anybody Tried This Config

14 replies to this topic

#1 ViKingOmega

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

Im wondering if anyone out there has tried a build similar to this one?
Seems it could work but I may have missed something important I feel....
What are your thoughts on this variant?

Chassis Name: Hunchback
Model Name: HBK-4G
Variant Name: Trip Ace

Engine: 200 Reg Engine
Internal Type: Endo Steel
Armor Type: Std Armor
Heat Sinks: 11 (8) Double Heat Sinks

Tonnage: 50.00
Speed: 64.8 kph
Armor Total: 320
Alpha Strike Damage: 16.00
Alpha Strike Heat: 11.00
Firepower: 14.50 dps
Heat Efficiency: 19.25%
Effective Range of Loadout: 720m

Head: 18/18
Right Torso: 36/48
Right Rear Torso: 12/48
Center Torso: 50/64
Center Rear Torso: 12/64
Left Torso: 36/48
Left Rear Torso: 12/48
Right Arm: 32/32
Left Arm: 32/32
Right Leg: 40/48
Left Leg: 40/48

Right Arm:
Medium Laser
Endo Steel

Left Arm:
Medium Laser
Endo Steel

Right Torso:
AC2
AC2
AC2
Endo Steel
Endo Steel
Endo Steel
Endo Steel
Endo Steel
Endo Steel
Endo Steel
Endo Steel
Endo Steel

Left Torso:
Double Heat Sink
Double Heat Sink
Double Heat Sink
Endo Steel
Endo Steel
Endo Steel

Center Torso:

Head:

Right Leg:
AC2 Ammo
AC2 Ammo

Left Leg:
AC2 Ammo

File created using MWO Mechbay

#2 Grey Man

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

I tried something similar right after picking up the g. Don't remember the specifics but recall heat was an issue. With the reduced rocking from the ac2 this may be less effective.

#3 Gaeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

I tried something similar... basically the AC'2 isn't terribly good without a bigger complimentary punch. Lots of low damage spam, no real danger to heavies or assaults. I recommend trying 2 UAC5's or a Gauss over 3 AC2's.

#4 nungunz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 612 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

I've tried it and had fun with it. 3 tons of ammo isn't nearly enough, though. You chew through ammo very quickly. Strip off armor in the legs to free up another ton.

Even with 4 tons of ammo you only have enough for 50 seconds of sustained fire (not taking heat into account of course). Five or Six tons of ammo might be better.

#5 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

Yup, I use one with 200 standard engine, DHS, Endo, 3 Medium Lasers, and 3 AC/2s. Works fine for me. Averaged out at 300 damage per game or so in games where we don't get massacred instantly.

#6 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

I had this setup until news of the upcoming reduction in shake from impact.

#7 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

View PostRyvucz, on 10 December 2012 - 07:35 PM, said:

I had this setup until news of the upcoming reduction in shake from impact.

It will still do the same amount of damage which is insanely high for a mech of this size. 3 AC/2s almost have the effective DPS (if you can find slow targets) of 4 PPCs. 4 PPCs that always hit will roughly do 13.33 DPS (3.33 each) while 3 AC/2s will do 12 DPS (4 each). Toss in your 3 Medium Lasers (1.25 DPS each) and you can spike up to 15.75 DPS and tear through an Atlas Center Torso armor in 6-7 seconds and probably core him in under 10 seconds (before you overheat).

This will force your enemy to back off or torso twist (throwing off their aim and lowering their own DPS) or die. If you are with your group and are not focused, you can cause a lot of damage to the heavy and assault mechs. I tend to leave the faster ones alone unless all the big ones are dead.

You can shoo off pesky lights with your lasers, but it's best to have others deal with them. It's not quite an all-around build, but it's quite a bit of firepower for a 50 ton mech.

#8 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

View PostElizander, on 10 December 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

Yup, I use one with 200 standard engine, DHS, Endo, 3 Medium Lasers, and 3 AC/2s. Works fine for me. Averaged out at 300 damage per game or so in games where we don't get massacred instantly.

I concur, this build is very nice, especially if you target more ponderous enemies. One note; if you set all three to chain fire, the first recycles long before the third finishes firing, maybe. For more DPS, set them all to fire at once, you'll get 6 pinpoint damage per salvo also. OR - set 2 to a group, and leave the third on it's lonesome. It makes your mech sound like a poorly serviced volkswagen beetle when you're firing.

#9 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 10 December 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

I concur, this build is very nice, especially if you target more ponderous enemies. One note; if you set all three to chain fire, the first recycles long before the third finishes firing, maybe. For more DPS, set them all to fire at once, you'll get 6 pinpoint damage per salvo also. OR - set 2 to a group, and leave the third on it's lonesome. It makes your mech sound like a poorly serviced volkswagen beetle when you're firing.

I have 3 set as group fire then 4 and 5 to fire individual AC/2s. Then I quickly tap 5->4 then hold down 3 in less than half a second to get full dps chain fire running :)

#10 cymeth

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 9 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

I have tried something fairly similar to this. It was a lot of fun, especially if you offset the trigger timing (which, by the way, I noticed on my 3x ELL hunch that you can treat chain fire like semi auto to speed up the firing sequence - hopefully works for ACs too).

Eventually, I somewhat concluded that considering the damage to weight ratio of the AC sizes, when excluding range: there seems to be little point equipping more than one AC of each size. I have not fully explored this theory.

This being stated, on high ping, it is handy being able to spray a bit :).

#11 LennStar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 476 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:51 AM

Used an 3xAC/2 in the Closed. Not very long. I changed to 2 AC/2. Heat problems (The high DPS means nothing if you cant fire), ammo problems and too much tonnage if I tried to change one of those with 3ACs. Bigger engine and more heatsinks with 2 AC/2 made a lot more "rounded" Mech.

I would like to have an AC/1 - 3 tons, 300m 1dmg, double AC/2 firing.
Put in 1AC/2 for Ranged Battle, 2AC/1 with rapid firing for light mechs or tickling Atlases.
Or in other words a useful Machine gun ^^
Firing them should sound like a Trabant (the smaller East Germany car) bababababammbababmmbabamm
Would also make light variants with Cannon hardpoints more usable.

#12 Maxxinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationDefiance Industries, Hesperus II

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

View PostLennStar, on 11 December 2012 - 02:51 AM, said:

Used an 3xAC/2 in the Closed. Not very long. I changed to 2 AC/2. Heat problems (The high DPS means nothing if you cant fire), ammo problems and too much tonnage if I tried to change one of those with 3ACs. Bigger engine and more heatsinks with 2 AC/2 made a lot more "rounded" Mech.

I would like to have an AC/1 - 3 tons, 300m 1dmg, double AC/2 firing.
Put in 1AC/2 for Ranged Battle, 2AC/1 with rapid firing for light mechs or tickling Atlases.
Or in other words a useful Machine gun ^^
Firing them should sound like a Trabant (the smaller East Germany car) bababababammbababmmbabamm
Would also make light variants with Cannon hardpoints more usable.

Do AC/1's even exist in BT?

#13 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

I like 3 AC/2's, but it does get hot, fast. I have been using multiple AC/5s on it with great success for more prolonged engagements as they are 2.5x more heat efficient.

AC/5 = 5 damage/heat
AC/10(or 20) = 3.33 dmg/ht
AC/2 = 2 dmg/ht
Small Laser = 1.5 dmg/ht

That righ' thare says sumthin' bout AC/2's..

Edited by Prosperity Park, 06 July 2013 - 07:47 PM.

#14 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

View PostElizander, on 10 December 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

I've gotten an average of 400 pts of damage/match using the ac20/3xMLas combo. some of my max scores have been 800, 789, and 639 with the HBK-4G(F). I've tried the AC2s before and didn't like the config. Have at it though.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 06 July 2013 - 07:57 PM.

#15 Voyager I

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 417 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

Dropping down to a pair of AC2s let you do most of this in a much more reasonable build. It's what I did to grind through my Founder's 4G so I could elite out my 4P and 4SP. Of course, this was aeons ago when a pair of chainfired AC/2s meant whatever you were aiming at never got to see anything ever again. Nowadays the cockpit shake is gone (which was the real reason this gimmick worked) and some PPC/Gauss ******* is just going to two-shot your hunch while you're trying to keep a bead on someone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users