20 replies to this topic

#1 RobarGK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 183 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

First a disclaimer: I almost only PUG by myself and the only time I play with someone else is in pairs, usually while sitting in the same room as them. This means this guide may not apply to premade groups.

Since open beta started I have kept a PPC/ERPPC based Catapult K2 and have played on a fairly regular basis. I've seen others who pilot similar 'mechs struggle, so I'm putting this guide together to aid anyone else who stuck it out with PPCs. If anyone else has any additional points to add, please comment below.

The Build:
Early: When you first get this mech you will likely find it to be disappointing, especially when it comes to heat efficiency. To help with this early and cheaply, drop the machine guns and ammo to add two more heat sinks.
Late: Once you have the C-bills upgrade to double heat sinks and place them where-ever you have room. This will allow for a much more sustainable rate of fire, and gives you the heat dissipation to use ERPPCs instead of PPCs. If you have weight left over (I did) the two best upgrades are speed and AMS. Pre-ECM I would have prioritized AMS because this design should spend most of its time at long range. With ECM as it is now, either choice is just as valid, since you should be spending most of your time outside of the ECM bubble, but LRMs are far less common. Speed is always use full, but I would recommend staying away from XL engines right now, since many target the side torsos expecting that you are carrying Gauss Rifles. This will likely pass with the coming PPC buffs as people learn to recognize the different arm barrels.

Weapon Grouping: I keep my left PPC on the left mouse button, and the right PPC on the right, with the medium lasers on my third mouse fire button (varies by mouse). This makes firing around corners intuitive while making alpha strike or ripple fire both easy to do.

Strategy: (Note that if you still have PPCs instead of ERPPCs that you will lose damage if the enemy is within 90m, with more loss the closer they are.)
First off, keep your distance, and if you can't see the enemy try using thermal vision (H by default). Even the standard PPC has a rather long effective range, and can still do slight amounts of damage out to rather extreme ranges. The ERPPC is even better at extreme ranges. Typically on the current maps if you can see it, chances are good that the ERPPC can do at least slight damage and rock them, making it harder for them to counter.
At long range only fire both PPCs simultaneously if you can guarantee a hit. Instead ripple fire them. This will increase the chances of getting hits, keeps the enemy disrupted by rocking, and makes it easier to manage your heat. When skirmishing in the manner it is important to keep your heat low (preferably below 50%) so you can effectively defend yourself if you get jumped by a mech at close range, but don't be afraid to keep taking shots. You don't have to worry about ammunition like most sniper builds do.
At medium range the same principles apply, but if you see an easy target it becomes worth it to raise your heat and fire both PPCs into weak spots.
At close range things change. If you are facing a slow mech use only PPCs until they get too close (about 75m with standard PPCs and 10m with ERPPCs due to limited convergence from the arms). If they get closer then that switch to a steady firing of your medium lasers while you try to regain that distance.
(ERPPCs can be effective at closer ranges by aiming past the enemy so that they are in line with your arm, then aiming on the other side of them with your other arm.)
When fighting close up with a fast much only use PPCs if they are stopped (for any reason). If they are moving stick with the medium lasers. If you can, leg them so you can bring your PPCs to bear. Don't expect to be able to take a good light pilot 1 on 1, but don't give up either. If they make the mistake of stopping for just a moment those PPCs (ready to fire because you have only been using medium lasers) came do a lot of damage to their leg, and a legged light is an easy kill for this build.

Notice how high the Catapults arms are? Means that you can crest a hill just enough to see the enemy and start firing those PPCs while remaining mostly in cover.

If you find yourself overheating attempt to break contact. This is where any extra speed you may have can come in handy. Once you cool down reinitiate contact with a full out assault.

With the coming changes to the PPC and ERPPC this design will become even more effective.
If you have any further points please place them in the comments.

Edited by RobarGK, 11 December 2012 - 11:03 AM.

#2 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

+1 Excellent guide!

I used this build back in closed beta, and I am looking to buy it again soon. I hadn't tried increasing the speed back then, though, so thanks for the tip. :P

#3 Jelena

Rookie

• The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCanada, Nova Scotia

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

Great tips my brother

#4 RobarGK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

View Postarmyunit, on 11 December 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

+1 Excellent guide!

I used this build back in closed beta, and I am looking to buy it again soon. I hadn't tried increasing the speed back then, though, so thanks for the tip. :P

Thanks!

I usually build my mechs to have what I want on them, and if they have any tonnage left over I save up for an engine upgrade. I find it helps a lot because I get to where I need to be faster. Even a slight difference can win a battle.
I hope you have as much fun in your K2 as I have in mine.

#5 Op4blushift

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

Thanks for this! Didn't really want to go the gausspult route and I was using 3 LL before and I've found this to be a pretty decent build with the 2 ERPPCs. Only problem is the left over tonnage which I can't use for extra DHS since they take up to much crit space so it is a little bit high on the heat. I really can't wait for the PPC buffs though, would really help as PPC's are a bit too underpowered for my liking

Edit: Also, I just tried out putting the ppcs in the side torsos and the ML in the arms. It frees up more space for DHS, at the cost of having less maneuverability with your ppc shots. Might want to try it out.

Edited by Op4blushift, 12 December 2012 - 01:47 AM.

#6 RobarGK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:37 AM

View PostOp4blushift, on 11 December 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

Thanks for this! Didn't really want to go the gausspult route and I was using 3 LL before and I've found this to be a pretty decent build with the 2 ERPPCs. Only problem is the left over tonnage which I can't use for extra DHS since they take up to much crit space so it is a little bit high on the heat. I really can't wait for the PPC buffs though, would really help as PPC's are a bit too underpowered for my liking

Edit: Also, I just tried out putting the ppcs in the side torsos and the ML in the arms. It frees up more space for DHS, at the cost of having less maneuverability with your ppc shots. Might want to try it out.

I tried that but to me it removed the best thing about the K2 in my opinion, which was just barely cresting a hill and firing. Having PPCs in your arms also has the benefit of making the arms larger. This would normally be a disadvantage but because of the prevalence of ballistic K2s the arms are rarely targeted, so you can use the longer arms to absorb a bit more before they go for the coring.
Besides, 64.8kph just seems a little bit too slow some times, so I put that tonnage to good use by buying a bigger engine.
I also can't wait for the PPC buffs. The shot speed alone is going to make these great sniping weapons.

#7 JudgeDeathCZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:07 AM

I have K3 refit so long and I am in love with ERPPCs for a long time.Ther are deadly in hands of skilled pilot and with upcomming buff they will be even better.
Only thing I hate on PPCs is how looks that ball of lightning.Actually it looks more like shoot from Plasma rifle than from PPC :s .

#8 sarkun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:13 AM

View PostRobarGK, on 12 December 2012 - 07:37 AM, said:

Having PPCs in your arms also has the benefit of making the arms larger.

What? Explain.

#9 Kreisel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 466 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

View Postsarkun, on 13 December 2012 - 04:13 AM, said:

What? Explain.

The model changes, PPC or ER PPC in the arms include a large barrel the mech has when you look at it stock, if you have nothing or lasers, even LL, then it's just the blocky shoulder sections that the barrels stick out of that you see on the Guasspults and AC20Cats that consist of most the K2 wander around nowdays.

Edit: Additionally, this means if you pay attention you can spot a stock or PPC build from a ballistic based build the moment you see it's shoulders.

As a side note, Ran a 2 PPC+2 ERppc cat for a short while, hilarious can deliver TONS of damage on an alpha, but you shut down so fast...

Edited by Kreisel, 14 December 2012 - 01:22 AM.

#10 DoJmE

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:30 AM

How about armor?

Should you stay with the stock armor or apply ferro fibrous armor?

#11 Op4blushift

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:35 AM

^ Would seriously avoid FF in general. It ups you're damage costs for little benefit at all.

#12 DoJmE

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:52 AM

okay.. I was planning on upgrading either endo steel or ferro fibrous armor after getting double heat sinks.

#13 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:58 AM

Does anyone actually know the damage fall of for PPCs? Is it scaled down further the closer you are or is it a set percentage inside of it's minimum range? Can they actually do less than 1 damage at point blank range?

#14 DoJmE

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:09 AM

Does AMS have the same ammo as machine guns?

#15 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:24 AM

View PostDoJmE, on 16 December 2012 - 05:09 AM, said:

Does AMS have the same ammo as machine guns?

No AMS uses AMS ammo (not to be mistaken with AC5 ammo, for some reason the way the font is I mistake the two when I'm in a rush to refit a mech).

You get 1000 shots per ton and now that giant LRM lines aren't nearly as common that should be more than enough to last you a full round. Together that's 1.5 tons that could save your life!

#16 DoJmE

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:25 AM

Does that mean I don't need to spend another extra slot for ams ammo?

#17 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:34 AM

View PostDoJmE, on 16 December 2012 - 05:25 AM, said:

Does that mean I don't need to spend another extra slot for ams ammo?

Ammo is ammo is ammo. All ammo requires it's own slot, weighs a ton and must be equipped manually. The AMS's ammo is no different.

#18 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

I used to run my K2 with 4 large lasers but I recently tried to turn it into a PPC sniper build. It took me a few games to get used to the sniping thing but now I enjoy it and begin to deal decent damage with it.

At the moment my build is: 300XL engine (~80kmh), 11 additionnal HS (2 inside the engine), AMS, 2 ERPPCs in the arms as primary weapons and a large laser in the torso for additionnal mid-range damage.
I may consider switching the large laser for 2 mediums and one more HS but it'd force me to mount the PPCs on the torso - I'm not sure I want it, I like the mobility given by arm-mounted weapons.

You may disagree about the XL engine, but I like the extra speed it gives, and I don't feel it reduce durability that much.
(to be honnest at first I used this engine because it was the one I used on the 4*LL build and I already sold the stock engine, but I don't think I'd switch back to a slower standard engine)

I also disagree about ripple fire: most of the time I fire my PPCs together, I only fire one when I'm overheating or when partially behind cover (and that one would have hit the cover anyway). I don't care about wasting shots, my point is to concentrate damage as much as possible.

PS to DoJmE : don't upgrade for endosteel or ferofibrous, this build is limited by crits available for double HS more than by weight; and upgrades don't give you enough weight to build an equivalent of your potential DHS with standard HS.
=> go for DHS and that's all.

#19 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

View Postepikt, on 16 December 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

At the moment my build is: 300XL engine (~80kmh), 11 additionnal HS (2 inside the engine), AMS, 2 ERPPCs in the arms as primary weapons and a large laser in the torso for additionnal mid-range damage.
I may consider switching the large laser for 2 mediums and one more HS but it'd force me to mount the PPCs on the torso - I'm not sure I want it, I like the mobility given by arm-mounted weapons.

You may disagree about the XL engine, but I like the extra speed it gives, and I don't feel it reduce durability that much.
(to be honnest at first I used this engine because it was the one I used on the 4*LL build and I already sold the stock engine, but I don't think I'd switch back to a slower standard engine)

Side-Torsos on the Cat are really hard to hit compared to CT, so an XL is actually very good. It's like the Dragon, not much reason not to use an XL.

#20 DoJmE

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:13 AM

Let me see if I get this right..

Here's what i have so far.

2 ppc R & L arm
2 Med Laser R & L Torso
1 AMS R Torso
2 DHS per arm
2 DHS per torso
STD Engine 260..

Tonnage 64.5
Heat 1.27

I'm thinking of also adding some more armor..

Mine is 352 at the moment
I'm planning to change to STD Enging 265 to have some extra speed..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users