Pilot Concepts For Bwc's Movie

20 replies to this topic

#1 Creepy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

Been a while since I posted in here. I've been tied up at school but will be out in a few days. Bravo Whisky Charlie Films has a BattleTech/MWO fan short and wanted some pilots concepted out, so I stepped up to plate for it and figure I'd share 'em with you folks. Here's the first one. The other 3 should be on their way over the next two weeks as I free up what time I have to take stabs at it.

In regards to the Cyclops I was redesigning, I'll be picking that up some time in January I think.

Posted Image

Design notes:
Idea behind the helmet is that it's a few iterations(/generations) off from the neural helmet worn by the image of that one highland pilot with a more sophisticated neurohelmet. Should also provide a bit more head protection and the faceplate slides back as typical of aircraft pilot and motorcycle visors. I didn't really think too much on the attachment design but think of it being something like a marriage between ALICE and MOLLE in that it clips in to a loop. Velcro name plate. The ribs are ballistic fabric over the cooling tubes and are somewhat modular so that sections can be replaced or taken down for maintenance. Boots have a built in "e-z blouser." Vest closures are on the left and right sides.

Had an idea about an inflating neck roll that's meant to provide support and limit backward snapping of the neck. It wouldn't really be visible when not inflated, and would be obscured by the helmet usually. It would likely creep up on the sides as well.

The cooling hood also doubles as a little additional cushioning, naturally. The inflation in the neck roll is likely just a larger tube section or bladder that's also used for cooling.

Edited by Creepy, 09 December 2012 - 09:19 PM.

#2 Creepy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:49 AM

WIP update.

Posted Image

Design request was for 2 female and 2 male pilots.

#3 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

<3 this stuff, can't wait to see what you guys are capable of!

#4 Creepy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

Thanks, Sean! I'm not really involved in the movie beyond the pilot concepts (ie: I don't know much about it. I sort of TL;DR'd it.) They're way out on the East Coast but I would consider pitching in if they were nearby.

Gotta change out the helmet ideas I have since it came down the pipe that they'll be using aircraft pilot helmets as a base. Will update this Saturday, I think, if not sooner (if I'm lucky..)

Edited by Creepy, 12 December 2012 - 08:21 PM.

#5 Creepy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

Posted Image

WIP... Shooting to get #3 done in the next 2 days, tops

#6 cmopatrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Locationa 45 tonner on patrol...

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

i am curious, please forgive the question if i missed it somewhere else...

shorts and short sleeve? it would seem to me that cooling would likely follow the same relative plan that high g suits do in covering extremities and offering protection there (especially legs since they would be more exposed to heat being away from the partial shielding of the body & command couch/chair).

can you help me understand the short sleeve & shorts plan?

#7 Fury9er

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

The fluff usually described IS pilots as wearing as little as possible inside mechs save for boots, shorts and the cooling vest. Full body cool suits were Lostech and only used by Comstar and the Clans.

#8 cmopatrick

• 1,026 posts
  • Locationa 45 tonner on patrol...

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

ah, thanks. been so long as a clanner, didn't even think about it being different in the IS. yeah, Comstar did hold the successor states back quite a bit, didn't they...

#9 Treehugger

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

View PostFury9er, on 16 December 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

The fluff usually described IS pilots as wearing as little as possible inside mechs save for boots, shorts and the cooling vest. Full body cool suits were Lostech and only used by Comstar and the Clans.

I was wondering why they only had shorts too, thank you for the explanation. But now I'm wondering what the pilot in-game is wearing. He's got a full body suit with plates that look like armor. :P

Ramblings aside, great designs Creepy. I like how you've gone into detail with how different parts of the suit work.

#10 Creepy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

Thanks for the feedback folks! I got pulled in to cat/house sit for a couple of places for the month so my time to work on this got a little dicey. I think I'll be able to free up some more time in a couple of days to wrap it up. Just one more pilot to go..

Posted Image
This guy's coolant vest has waist support in a velcro wrap that covers the cooling tubes. Hard shell upper vest with another gorget-like neck brace. The triangle is a quick release. Wrist has a touch screen set up for a variety of functions. There's a band on the right arm with a small wire. That's used to track vitals. Extra thick KISS soles for Firefly. Not quite thick enough but I do need to keep it a little reasonable. ;p

But now I'm wondering what the pilot in-game is wearing. He's got a full body suit with plates that look like armor. :)

There was an example of a full body suit I came across while looking for reference. At least I think it was. It was unconventional ..and it had heels. That threw me off a bit.

Not entirely sure why a cooling suit that covered more of the body would be difficult to produce. I suspect it's an excuse to have scantilly clad pilots..

Edited by Creepy, 26 December 2012 - 01:12 AM.

#11 RFMarine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:30 AM

View PostCreepy, on 26 December 2012 - 12:54 AM, said:

There was an example of a full body suit I came across while looking for reference. At least I think it was. It was unconventional ..and it had heels. That threw me off a bit.

Not entirely sure why a cooling suit that covered more of the body would be difficult to produce. I suspect it's an excuse to have scantilly clad pilots..

I kinda remember in one of the novels, there was a mechwarrior, a solaris pilot if i remember correctly, who had 2 aces up his sleeve. the first ace was a lostech - antique full body cooling suit. He keeps the second ace a secret, forgot what it is. Since only the suit is known by the public, they blame his good record on the suit and he gets lots of offers to buy the suit

#12 Nacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 661 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:54 AM

The only thing that was bugging me....

short pants.

:)

#13 PropagandaWar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

Nacon MW pilots are usually in there Skivies. and a tanktop.

#14 Fury9er

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

RFMarine, i think that might have been the guy who formed the Black Thorns mercenary unit in Main Event - his name escapes me but he used to pilot a Shootist in the Comguards and took his cool-suit with him when he left.

#15 Barsov

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 119 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, Spinward Sector

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:56 AM

Nice concepts Creepy. Thanks.
Now expecting some neurohelmets designs from you.

Yeah, as PGI said before: "We wandered that you don't understand naked dude in your mech cockpit ". So they decided to make a full coolant suit for sure. :lol:

2Fury9er, RFMarine
That guy name is Jeremiah Rose, leader of the Black Thorns merc unit, one of the famous cheaters of the BT Universe.

#16 Kai Allard-Liao

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 67 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

View Postcmopatrick, on 15 December 2012 - 05:47 PM, said:

i am curious, please forgive the question if i missed it somewhere else...

shorts and short sleeve? it would seem to me that cooling would likely follow the same relative plan that high g suits do in covering extremities and offering protection there (especially legs since they would be more exposed to heat being away from the partial shielding of the body & command couch/chair).

can you help me understand the short sleeve & shorts plan?

Meh, IS has used short sleeves and shorts for the longest time. Only ComStar and some folks lucky enough to have Lostech have those full body suits.

View PostTreehugger, on 16 December 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

I was wondering why they only had shorts too, thank you for the explanation. But now I'm wondering what the pilot in-game is wearing. He's got a full body suit with plates that look like armor. :D

Ramblings aside, great designs Creepy. I like how you've gone into detail with how different parts of the suit work.

In 'Blood of Kerensky' trilogy, Kai was blasted by a rifle, but it didn't kill him. Underneath his shirt he was wearing his cooling vest, and it explains it doubles as anti-ballistic. Makes sense if your cockpit canopy blows in at you to have a bit of protection.

One of the things I saw on your drafts was the health monitor. If this is IS, the monitors are attached via medical patches, much like we do nowadays to monitor the EKG's. These are all plugged in to the command console/chair, and not the vest or helmet itself. As for the helmet, I'm not really fond of the fighter-pilot version. To sleek really. Neurohelmets are supposed to be large and bulky, and I'll have to look but they're supposed to make your shoulders hurt after having it sit on them for a while, I've always imagined something completely ridiculous like the helmet Dr. McCoy was wearing in Back to the Future when he was trying to read Marty's mind in 1955. Ridiculous, but for some reason that imagery is what I've always thought of for neurohelmets. Obviously some sort of screen would need to be placed on it to project the 360 degree view in a 160 degree arc. Meh.

But really, you do great work, Creepy! Wish I had half your talent!

#17 Creepy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 134 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:15 AM

Now expecting some neurohelmets designs from you.

Thinking on it. I have a few designs but I have to consider budget and what's on hand. I've recently been thinking about building a helmet to enhance my geek immersion since I went around looking at materials to fit a tight budget. I even have a broken headset I can try to incorporate into it!

One of the things I saw on your drafts was the health monitor. If this is IS, the monitors are attached via medical patches, much like we do nowadays to monitor the EKG's. These are all plugged in to the command console/chair, and not the vest or helmet itself.

Noted. A wire can always be run through the vest to the console/char. Think of it as a way to keep the wires from tangling and strangling the pilot. :D

As for the helmet, I'm not really fond of the fighter-pilot version. To sleek really. Neurohelmets are supposed to be large and bulky, and I'll have to look but they're supposed to make your shoulders hurt after having it sit on them for a while, I've always imagined something completely ridiculous like the helmet Dr. McCoy was wearing in Back to the Future when he was trying to read Marty's mind in 1955. Ridiculous, but for some reason that imagery is what I've always thought of for neurohelmets. Obviously some sort of screen would need to be placed on it to project the 360 degree view in a 160 degree arc. Meh.

I have some thumbnails for the bucket style neural helmets but the designs are being taken a different direction given what there is to work with. The second and third pilots were originally going to have bucket helmets actually. I was thinking welding helmets would make a good base for those. As for visual projection, the small blocks at the top of the visor are meant to represent a projection system. Other thumbnails I have have closer similarities in appearance to existing aircraft pilot projection systems -basically they're tapered cones that stick out of the helmet a bit.

Posted Image
WIP
I had to stop for now. I left my physical sketchbook at home and it had some notes and thumbs I need to reference. I'll pick it up tomorrow or the day after, depending on how busy things get.
Notes:
-This pilot is set up in such a way that she's prepared for the possibility of having to bail out. She wears a vest that holds a few practical items to address a few possible problems.
-Planning on giving her motorcycle style boots with the idea that they would have a small cooling system in them.
-Above the boots, she'll have a set of shin and knee guards typically worn by baseball catchers. If you have to leave in a hurry, you're not going far if you bang up your legs!
-The cooling vest this pilot wears is integrated into a torso body stocking and has a little less protection than the other designs. The collar is side split and secured with velcro'd medium thickness leather straps to provide support while the rear half of the piece is a double thick layer of leather to provide support to the neck. It's possible (even recommended) to wear additional bracing around the neck but pilots may not want to for a variety of reasons.
-There's a throat mic clipped to the collar with a second clip on the vest to allow some slack.
-The vest secures at the shoulders and sides. Sides have 3 straps, one tab from the back forward, and two from the front to back.
-Drag handle on the back of the vest
-From the observer's PoV, top left pocket is first aid, below that is a holder for a PDA which doubles as a cooling vest controller -there's a small window to see part of the screen, below that is a larger pocket that holds a physical map (I may switch this to the right side). Right top is a velcro info block (In this case name and unit). There's a shoulder holster but as you might notice only the pistol's grip is visible.

Thanks again for the feedback, folks!

Edited by Creepy, 30 December 2012 - 03:26 AM.

#18 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

Excellent stuff. I like that you don't have a single uniform look to the equipment. I could see all four variants being in use in the Inner Sphere during the succession wars. In fact, I remember from the original Mercenary's Handbook way back when that it was rare indeed even for house units to have all pilots using the same model cooling gear and neurohelmet due to centuries of technological degradation and more and more technology becoming losttech. For merchs it was even more unlikely with the most unfortunate and poor of mercenaries being reduced to wearing vests stuffed with icepacks in order to provide some amount of cooling instead of actual proper coolingvests and suits.

#19 Creepy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:56 AM

Thanks Bergstol!

Here's the last pilot..

Posted Image

Map pouch is on the left side. It detaches via velcro and drops out, hinging at the bottom to allow the pilot to look down at the map. Velcro so it can be slapped back into place and out of the way.

I'll see about helmets soon but there might be something on the Cyclops redesign before then..

edit: moved the pic while reorganizing my image folder. Updated the link.

Edited by Creepy, 21 January 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#20 Barsov

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 119 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, Spinward Sector

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:16 AM

Well done Creepy. An idea to use baseball catcher's gear elements as mechwarrior's suit looks smart. :P

Moreover me also used my Mizuno chest guard and helmet as an inspiration to the coolant suit and neurohelmet when I tried to image and draw my own concept. Looks really cool and matched overall conception of the BTech mechwarrior wear like.

Edited by Barsov, 12 January 2013 - 05:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users