"conquest Mode" Speculation

18 replies to this topic

#1 Pygar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

So...we have been told there is a new gameplay mode coming soon, (possibly next week) and we know this new mode will be called "Conquest". Since nobody else is really talking much about it, I figured I would start a thread....

Our current "Assault" game mode is basicly a "Deathmatch" but has equal capture points for teams to try to score a "touchdown" with if it looks like an outright slugfest with the enemy will end badly for them. What do you guys think "Conquest" mode will be like?

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

I expect it will be like the TC (Territory Control) for MWLL, featuring multiple capture points spread across the map.

#3 Windies

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 11 December 2012 - 03:09 PM, said:

I expect it will be like the TC (Territory Control) for MWLL, featuring multiple capture points spread across the map.

How is that going to work with no respawns? I'm just not seeing it. Probably going to be a singular flag or base in the middle of the map that you have to capture and hold.

Edited by Windies, 11 December 2012 - 03:11 PM.

#4 Trynn

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

Exactly, Probably something similar to WOW's Arathi Basin, 5 control nodes, spread across the map, killing opponents or capturing "resouce nodes"

It will be a change and something that will probably feed into Dropship modes

1 more week :)

#5 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

players are allowed to sail ships across the pacific ocean and land in what is now known as south america to **** the natives and pillage gold.

#6 Alfred VonGunn

• 1,772 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,AZ

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

I am thinking something where you cap one of several base points.. Then for each 30 sec or min you own it you earn victory points.. The other team can cap it back.. If neither has full control no one gets points for it.. That plus maybe adding in the long talked about Dropship mode as part of Conquest... Giiving you 3 mechs per person and maybe a 30-45 min total game time...

#7 Vlad Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

I'm sincerely hoping that this is a respawn-enabled mode.

Not because "hurrrrrrrr Call of doody", but because it would make it more than superficially different from Assault mode.

If either game mode can be won by simply facerolling the enemy team, what's the point in adding different side objectives?

Edited by Vlad Ward, 11 December 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#8 Lin Shai

• 2,401 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

From the PC gamer article:

... Piranha plans to add a Conquest mode, a match setting that combines a ticket system (reduce the enemy's ticket count to zero to win), capture points, and armed, functional bases. ... "You have to disable or take over a portion of a base, or destroy part of the base, in order to get those tickets to count down. It's a bit more involved, it has a little bit more strategy, and also requires player coordination".

It, however, goes on to mention a lot of other things being involved in Conquest, like turrets and drones that are controlled by modules, and it says we'd have the dropship stuff before Conquest.

So basically, same as usual ... wait and see what fraction of what they promised we end up with :)

#9 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

Whatever adds more depth than Capture and Assault, I'm all for it.

I'd like to say that Lights would benefit from being able to quickly capture bases, but unable to defend them, but with the lag being how it is, that really isn't the case. If this requires sequential base assault and then capture/hold to reduce tickets at a faster rate to 0 then I can see teams just rolling in nothing BUT lights.

#10 Pygar

• Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

View PostLin Shai, on 11 December 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

... Piranha plans to add a Conquest mode, a match setting that combines a ticket system (reduce the enemy's ticket count to zero to win), capture points, and armed, functional bases. ... "You have to disable or take over a portion of a base, or destroy part of the base, in order to get those tickets to count down. It's a bit more involved, it has a little bit more strategy, and also requires player coordination".

It, however, goes on to mention a lot of other things being involved in Conquest, like turrets and drones that are controlled by modules, and it says we'd have the dropship stuff before Conquest.

So basically, same as usual ... wait and see what fraction of what they promised we end up with :)

Oh cool, that sounds interesting because while multiple capture points make speedy scouts very important, it sounds like being able to be able to do damage (to bases, not just to the bad guys) will still be very important too.

#11 JokerVictor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 515 posts
  • LocationA happy place far from this bitter wasteland

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

View PostLin Shai, on 11 December 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

I'm not holding my breath. Cautiously optimistic, maybe. But, PGI is really good at delivering that crushing disappointment, so I'll be realistic and expect that.

#12 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

I doubt the PC Gamer stuff will be there. Most likely, a variant of Assault wherein you have a Defender force that controls 1-2 bases, and an Attacker force that has to capture them. Simple and fairly easy to make, allows the Devs to work on more complex modes- Dropships and armed bases and such.

#13 Davion5150

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

There will be a giant pinata in the middle of the map. Whenever it suffers a certain amount of damage, it will spew several tickets onto the ground. In order to collect these tickets, a mech has to walk over it. Rinse and repeat until one of the teams has a certain number of tickets.

#14 EitherWay

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationMech Bay 12345543211525354554535251

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

View PostDavion5150, on 11 December 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

There will be a giant pinata in the middle of the map. Whenever it suffers a certain amount of damage, it will spew several tickets onto the ground. In order to collect these tickets, a mech has to walk over it. Rinse and repeat until one of the teams has a certain number of tickets.

Don't forget the festive pineapples.

#15 Netzilla

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 42 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

View PostVlad Ward, on 11 December 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

I'm sincerely hoping that this is a respawn-enabled mode.

Not because "hurrrrrrrr Call of doody", but because it would make it more than superficially different from Assault mode.

If either game mode can be won by simply facerolling the enemy team, what's the point in adding different side objectives?

That depends. If the only way to score is to hold a 'capture ponit' for x amount of time, then it's possible for you to lose while still wiping out the enemy. If you don't have enough time left on the clock to out-score them after they're all dead, they still win. Sure, it's a pyrric victory, but that'd be cool too. I could see mechs killed/damage done used as a tie-breaker in the case of an even score, however.

#16 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

I really wonder if we will have the option to chose game modes or it wiil be another random factor, like Frozen City appearing on 8 out of 10 matches.

:P :ph34r:

#17 BLUPRNT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 616 posts
  • LocationLake Something or Other, WA

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

My concern is that it will turn into a brawl fest at any given point on a map and quite often the same point on each map much like now, where the same tactics are used repeatedly depending on the map.
Without a respawn the match will end quickly.
This in time will become boring to many and the complaints will start flying again.
I believe the devs are doing thier best to give us a great game. It is up to us the community to make and do the best with it. I don't believe I need to post examples of this meaning.
The title did say speculation so hopefuly I'm wrong.

Edited by BLUPRNT, 12 December 2012 - 09:42 AM.

#18 Purlana

• 1,647 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

What if I just tear all the weapons off their mechs, unless they run out of bounds I win.

:P

#19 Arcturious

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 785 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

View PostPurpleNinja, on 12 December 2012 - 08:54 AM, said:

I really wonder if we will have the option to chose game modes or it wiil be another random factor, like Frozen City appearing on 8 out of 10 matches.

;) <_<

Pretty sure you can choose modes while maps within modes are random. It was hinted at as part of one of Garth's posts regarding groups and matchmaking.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users