Tales From A Newbie

6 replies to this topic

#1 TML Winston

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

It all began years ago... when Mechwarrior 1 came out and was played on an old Zenith Z248 and the Battlemaster landing on worlds and gaining cash... made all the years playing Battletech come to life.

Now, an older, (much, ugh), player steps from the shadows to play MWO. Surely, he would not do Noob stuff? Likely, NOT. However, he is ready to admit to others for thier own sanity, what noob things can happen.

He is Me.

1. Just because the mechs to buy list Mechwarrior Credits(MC) and C-Bills as cost to get an item does not mean it COSTS BOTH. Yep, I purchased MC and got plenty of C-Bills so I could purchase a mech with the combination. Ooops.. I still have all the MC with none of it used and I have a new mech.

2. The Mechbay program is a pain and moving from upgrades to Loadout with a big flash to save or lose it in the middle made loading out the first time.. well stupid. So, I take an AC20 and want to remove it to place a AC10 and do some other things. Now, regardless if this is a good idea, the really Noob stuff is.. I did not know it was DRAG and drop. I thought it was click on Torso, then click on item. So.. I clicked on Torso, tried to put AC10 in there but could not, cause the AC20 was there.. so tried to figure out how to remove it. The only, apparent, option to me was to SELL it, at half price. So I really had to think hard on my loadout since I could not KEEP equipment around. Later.. after selling the Engine.. I found out, by acciden, you could DRAG and DROP the items into slots. Yes.. what a newb move.. and it cost me about 3mil cbills.

3. PUG. Never heard the term before, since WoW is a weak game to me, as I prefer other more esoteric pursuits. Pick Up Group person.. basically a loner. Its NOT an insult.

I may add more, but for now, I am sufficiently newbie.

#2 RumRunner151

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 697 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

There are plenty of faults to find in this game. You have pointed out some. You will notice more. You took a great 1st step by coming to the forums. Read some of the guides and videos. Ask questions.

Good luck!

(BTW The devs said at some point they would remove the having to save between tabs thing.)

#3 TML Winston

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

So where do I send all these crashdumps?

:)

#4 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

Send them to support@mwomercs.com with details of what happened.

#5 Koe

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

Winston... I feel your pain. I am a noob as well. Case in point:

How the heck do you join a team?

Nuff said.

#6 KerenskyClone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:46 AM

Oh man, Ive wasted about at least 8-10 million C-bills experimenting and reselling weapons like a damn noob that I (still) am.

Recently bought the Iliya Muromets mech as a moneymaker to support my growing fleet (currently 1) of Atlases, then proceded to strip it and try the UAC5 x3 build. Played one game where I used my weapons like I would Gauss rifles, ddecided they sucked and promptly sold them /facepalm...

Now I have to rebuy them again and argh....

In any case learning the ins and outs of this game can be frustrating and dont give up, there are more of us than you can possibly imagine...

BTW can anyone explain to me how to correctly field three UAC5's and not suck really badly with them? Thanks :)

#7 Koe

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

You have to lead your shots, as they're ballistic weapons. They also have a slight arc over long ranges, so keep this in mind when you're sniping.

Truthfully, they're close quarters weapons. The main draw to them is the fake-out effect - when your mech is getting pounded and the cockpit is shaking around, your number one instinct is to get out of the way, right? Then when they run you pound their backsides.

Additionally, set them to chain fire. The reason why there's three of them is that so if one jams, the other two keep firing. Its a constant barrage setup.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users