Eve Online PVE Mission

24 replies to this topic

#1 rollermint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 418 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:56 PM

I wrote this in another thread but I thought I should bring this up in the open for the devs to consider.

Since there won't be a single player campaign, I hope you guys would consider incorporating Eve Online style of PVE agent missions. This could include a simple single mission that is random and can be repetitive or it could also include larger story arcs/epic missions that have several phases. Not only would it at least, give something back to those who are clearly disappointed at the no single player campaigns, it also wouldn't deviate much from the game's online direction. (you still need to play multiplay to conquer/defend territories).

It allows players to take a break from the intensity of multiplayer which can be quite stressful thus it provides an alternative way of enjoying the game without the douchery that is rampant in online play. It can also be another way to expose the rich history of Battletech in an immersive manner by allowing them to interact with interesting characters and factions. And hopefully sate the desire of a significant portion of your playerbase that quite obviously wish for a single player campaign.

I'm not asking for missions that have full cinematics, complete voice overs, epic "dungeon" designs tho! For those who played Eve Online, would probably understand how simple it is and I believe the devs are aware of this.

Now, its pretty obvious that PVE missions would immediately be exploited thoroughly as a safe way to stockpile weapons, equipment and money. TBH I'm not exactly sure how to completely avoid this but the first thing that comes to my mind is to reduce the monetary rewards, salvage and XP you get from this system.Or perhaps completely exclude certain types of rewards. I'm not completely sure, just putting this out in the open.

My suspicion is that the devs already considered this in the early stages of the game so in which case, I hope this thread simply serve as further encouragement on the idea/feature :) I didn't actually flesh out this idea as thoroughly as I wished but as said earlier, just bringing this up as an alternative way to provide single player experience.

#2 Razor Kotovsky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 754 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationRussian Death Legion, Golden Lion lance lieutenant

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:58 PM

In before Taurian Concordat 10MN MWD PPC.

While there definitely should be some PvE content it has to fall in the current event's politics and be co-op.
Last thing this needs are hordes of carebears.

Edited by Razor Kotovsky, 04 November 2011 - 02:01 PM.

#3 rollermint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 418 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

View PostRazor Kotovsky, on 04 November 2011 - 01:58 PM, said:

In before Taurian Concordat 10MN MWD PPC. While there definitely should be some PvE content it has to fall in the current event's politics and be co-op. Last thing this needs are hordes of carebears.

True, I would love the coop part as well. Yet I dont feel that the game will generate hordes of carebears nor would it be a problem. Eve has a pretty well developed and extensive PVE missioning sytem but the game is still as bloodthirsty and harsh as ever.

Plus having your faction territories invaded would be a good incentive to keep a healthy amount of players to keep being involved in the PVP aspects.

Having large hordes of carebears is not exactly a total negative, it means players are still playing their game instead of rage quitting coz their side keeps losing in PVP.

I don't actually expecting them to include this for launch (coz that would probably mean extra development time and I have to wait longer for my robot-on-robot action) but perhaps something down the line if possible.

#4 fakey

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 42 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

It all depends on the nature of how the devs are going to deal with having your mech destroyed while on mission. If it's like World of Tanks in which you get your shattered hulk back and have to repair it, yet still receive funds, then we won't really need PvE. However, if it's a much more harsher way of dealing with mech destruction (something like EVE) then PvE missions will be needed as having players constantly burn through mechs will kill the game.

I'm personally interested to see what kind of balance they will strike between the two.

#5 gregsolidus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:14 PM

The only reason I can see for PvE is for testing out new designs ala Armored Core.

#6 Vaneshi SnowCrash

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:20 PM

View Postrollermint, on 04 November 2011 - 01:56 PM, said:

I'm not asking for missions that have full cinematics, complete voice overs, epic "dungeon" designs tho! For those who played Eve Online, would probably understand how simple it is and I believe the devs are aware of this.

Damsel in Distress Damsel in Distress Damsel in Distress Damsel in Distress Damsel in Distress Damsel in Distress Damsel in Distress Damsel in Distress Damsel in Distress Damsel in Distress Worlds Collide Damsel in Distress Damsel in Distress Damsel in Distress

How about NO! Does No work for you because it works for me.

I will except Incursion style PvE but no. I am not saving that b$%^h another *** **** time just because she's the multiverse's bike.

#7 Razor Kotovsky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 754 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

Mechwarrior - eve - tanks - bf3 - Mechwarrior Online

Full circle, bittervet edition.

#8 rollermint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 418 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:42 PM

View Postfakey, on 04 November 2011 - 02:12 PM, said:

It all depends on the nature of how the devs are going to deal with having your mech destroyed while on mission. If it's like World of Tanks in which you get your shattered hulk back and have to repair it, yet still receive funds, then we won't really need PvE. However, if it's a much more harsher way of dealing with mech destruction (something like EVE) then PvE missions will be needed as having players constantly burn through mechs will kill the game. I'm personally interested to see what kind of balance they will strike between the two.

The main impetus of my idea is to actually provide the "We Want Single Player!" portion of their fanbase an alternative so as to actually play the game. The announcement that this game is online only probably driven off some folks, this is simply to draw them back to the title.

Personally, I really couldn't care less and I'd rather be fighting for the territories but if having more players would mean extra revenue for PGI, then having more players would certainly benefit me as well.

#9 rollermint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 418 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:45 PM

View PostVaneshi SnowCrash, on 04 November 2011 - 02:20 PM, said:

Damsel in Distress Damsel in Distress Damsel in Distress Damsel in Distress Damsel in Distress Damsel in Distress Damsel in Distress Damsel in Distress Damsel in Distress Damsel in Distress Worlds Collide Damsel in Distress Damsel in Distress Damsel in Distress How about NO! Does No work for you because it works for me. I will except Incursion style PvE but no. I am not saving that b$%^h another *** **** time just because she's the multiverse's bike.

You don't actually have to do the mission :)

But I got a chuckle out of Damsel in Distress. I can't remember how many times I had to save her...

#10 Vaneshi SnowCrash

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:00 PM

View Postrollermint, on 04 November 2011 - 02:42 PM, said:

The announcement that this game is online only probably driven off some folks, this is simply to draw them back to the title.

From the Massivley comments a lot of the complaining wasn't about on-line, it was that the beloved Mech Assault franchise is being rebranded and going PC only and *** is this Battletech carp? Curiously I seem to remember similar complaints from the PC gamers when Mech Assault first appeared.

IMHO most PC gamers have at this point in time dabbled with at least one MMO and probably have multiple games purchased via Steam or another digital distribution site, the fact the game needs an internet connection to function problem is no real surprise or problem. It would be more of a surprise that an MMO didn't require an internet connection.

View Postrollermint, on 04 November 2011 - 02:45 PM, said:

You don't actually have to do the mission :)

But I got a chuckle out of Damsel in Distress. I can't remember how many times I had to save her...

She's the multiverse's bike I'm tellin ya. It isn't that EVE actually has few L4 missions, it's that certain missions are region locked and as far as I can tell any given agent only has so many slots for each valid mission, so it can only hand out say 30 Angels Extravaganza's... which due to the ease of farming and the random implant drop in the 3rd / 4th (it's the one before the locked gate) room is farmed for all it's worth. So any given agent in a popular system has a heavily diminished pool of missions. It'd be simple to fix but well. :CCPPSYDUCK:

But if MWO has a Damsel I'm using her as a practice Gauss rifle round and saving the universe from that nightmare.

#11 gregsolidus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:10 PM

Oh EVE, I would still play you if you didn't force me to join a corp to pay for my inevitable loses instead of letting me keep my ship.

#12 Razor Kotovsky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 754 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

I would still play if someone tried to actually bring legion of russians down and they gave muninn a fourth medslot (zealot unbalancing mah ship!)

Edited by Razor Kotovsky, 04 November 2011 - 04:12 PM.

#13 gregsolidus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:13 PM

Also,rails serve no purpose,people laughed at my Ferox and asked why I didn't get a Drake.

#14 bert bargo

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:24 PM

I would think a simulator type setting would be fairly awesome- test out some fits and get acquainted with some of the maps

#15 Joachim Viltry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 227 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA, Terra, SOL System, Inner Sphere

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:32 PM

View Postgregsolidus, on 04 November 2011 - 04:13 PM, said:

Also,rails serve no purpose,people laughed at my Ferox and asked why I didn't get a Drake.

Bwahhhh? Really? Oh must have been PvE players then... Our problem was always getting pilots OUT of Drakes and into actual COMBAT ships for PvP. I swear to *** I would have traded those fleets of carebear Drake pilots for half as many sniper fit Ferox's during SOV wars. A properly fit Ferox is essentially a poor mans Eagle; and they could lay on the hurt provided they came in at the proper range to target.

#16 gregsolidus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:39 PM

I played PvE all the way to level 4 combat missions and almost had a Rohk.Ravens and missiles were all I saw and what I was told to use.I quit after doing a Level 4 where a corp mate's Abbaddon jumped in first to draw aggro and we slowly wiped the entire area while he sat there active tanking and the enemies never retaliated.it was the least fun experience I had and the last straw for me.

Edited by gregsolidus, 04 November 2011 - 05:41 PM.

#17 Razor Kotovsky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 754 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:43 PM

View PostJoachim Viltry, on 04 November 2011 - 05:32 PM, said:

Bwahhhh? Really? Oh must have been PvE players then... Our problem was always getting pilots OUT of Drakes and into actual COMBAT ships for PvP. I swear to *** I would have traded those fleets of carebear Drake pilots for half as many sniper fit Ferox's during SOV wars. A properly fit Ferox is essentially a poor mans Eagle; and they could lay on the hurt provided they came in at the proper range to target.
We alpha'd pet drakes in our gangs for lulz. And every once in a while someone would die :)

http://killboard.leg...=kill&id=560520

#18 Joachim Viltry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 227 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA, Terra, SOL System, Inner Sphere

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:51 PM

View PostRazor Kotovsky, on 04 November 2011 - 05:43 PM, said:

We alpha'd pet drakes in our gangs for lulz. And every once in a while someone would die :)

http://killboard.leg...=kill&id=560520

Heeeeey, I've shot at you guys back in the day! Small world!
http://killboard.leg...oachim%20Viltry

#19 rollermint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 418 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:55 PM

View Postbert bargo, on 04 November 2011 - 05:24 PM, said:

I would think a simulator type setting would be fairly awesome- test out some fits and get acquainted with some of the maps

Yeah I actually thought about that as well and if they included that, would be a really awesome tool to have.

View Postgregsolidus, on 04 November 2011 - 05:39 PM, said:

I played PvE all the way to level 4 combat missions and almost had a Rohk.Ravens and missiles were all I saw and what I was told to use.I quit after doing a Level 4 where a corp mate's Abbaddon jumped in first to draw aggro and we slowly wiped the entire area while he sat there active tanking and the enemies never retaliated.it was the least fun experience I had and the last straw for me.

Man you never tried out the PVP portion at all?

#20 gregsolidus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:07 PM

No,I liked EVE but the negatives out weighed the positives far before I was ready for PVP.the griefers,the minmaxing which kills MMO combat,the steep death penalty that forced me to join a corp in order to pay for my loses and necessatated that I played by their rules,the unengaging PvE,and the mechanics of the game.Since XP is a non factor currency becomes the controlling factor of the game and becomes a non issue when you join a large corp that isn't fighting for its life,through mining,refinement,and mission running the flow of currency is continuous allowing for you to afford ships larger ships and at the same time devalue them since they can be replaced/or remade ease.When I came to the realization that the only thing standing between me and a Golem was time and finding a corp something died within me.There was no value in the struggle anymore.

Edited by gregsolidus, 04 November 2011 - 06:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users