Can Anyone Work A Catapult C1?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Heavy Metal Boar

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMD

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

I've always loved the catapult, and had aball with the trial mech last month.

BUT

Ecm has come and made it even harder to get a good shot with lrms. I decided to throw an er ppc on it to use when i can't get a target reading. I've been having a lot of trouble finding a good build with this mech despite my fiddling.

I'm camping with:
260 std engine
12 dhs
2x Lrm 10 +Art
2x mLaser
1x erPPC

2 tons lrm ammo run out towards the end of my life in the match

I swapped out the stock weps + Arty, 1ton reloads and don't think either build is getting me anywhere.

I typically hang back behind everyone and send my "Lead" to what looks like the teams target. Am I playing this mech wrong or is it built badly or is it just ecm and a lack of tag spotters?

#2 Mithos

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

You have a free energy hardpoint, why not mount a TAG and highlight a target for yourself, while bombarding it with PPC?
XL engine will help you move in and out of TAG effective radius.

#3 Acturius Black

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 19 posts
  • LocationJutland, Denmark

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

I still run my c1 with
endosteel
300 xl
12 dhs
2x lrm 20 (artemis) + 7 tons ammo
4x small laser setup.
1 x ams + 1 ton ammo

I run it in close support of the main assault as those lrms are deadly within 180-500 feet - if youre not ecm locked :P

Sure you get stomped by ecm, but i still think its workable...specially in group.
Keeping my long range C1 for now.

#4 Havyek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

IMO your build as posted is too generic.
Ditch the LRMs entirely and switch to SRMs, or lose the ERPPC and go with LLAS or even ERLLAS.

I've run a build with SRMs and 3 ERLLAS, right now it's configured with 2 SRM6s and 4 MPLAS.

Could also stick with 2 LRM20s and 2 MLAS. ECM isn't the boogeyman that many people make it out to be. It definitely sucks when you get into a drop with 3 enemy ECM 'Mechs, but that rarely happens. I've still seen LRM builds rack up kills/damage. I haven't used them again lately since I've been working on Cataphracts and Hunchies.

#5 Temptis

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

my C1 still has 2 LRM20+A, 3 ML and a TAG, just like pre ECM and it still works out for me.

#6 Malsumis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

My C1 is loaded out with 2 ERLL, 2 Med Laser, and 2 STRK2's. I've upgraded to Endo and DHS as well. Not sure what engine I have in it, but I know it is a standard engine and I think my speed is around 70-75 kph. This mech loadout I find works well both for range and brawling when the time comes. I usually use the ERLL's to soften up targets at range while moving in or while the enemy moves closer. Once inside 500m I'll start adding in my medium lasers. The streak missiles are primarily for lights and some knock, but I believe they reduced the knock effect from streaks with the latest patch, nonetheless I still use them. I find this setup very effective at all ranges and does very well when a light tried to swoop in and harass. I'll typically hunt down the lights with this setup, but don't stray too far from my team and keep pecking the light at range with the ERLL's. I've thought about swapping the streaks for SRM's but haven't used the C1 lately as I'm working on my Hunchbacks.

#7 kilgor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 346 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

I started using 3 LLs and an AMS with the rest being double heat sinks. I fire them one at a time to keep heat reasonable, but it ended up not providing enough oompf for me. I switched to the same waepon loadout as Malsumis and have been doing pretty well. I didn't go Endo, but I did do DHS. With ECM around, I use zoom for seeing 'Mechs at extreme distances, heat vision to see 'Mechs at medium distance, and then regular mode at close range.

#8 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

I second the idea that you mount your own TAG. With ECM where it is it can allow you to provide mid range fire support if your team lacks ECCM capabilities.

#9 locilocisu

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

Mine has:
2 LLAS
2 MLAS
2 SRM6

DHS, Endo, Std Engine. (Max speed at about 76kph). Almost max armor

With luck, this can deal 800+ damage

#10 Dewil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

View Postlocilocisu, on 12 December 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

Mine has:
2 LLAS
2 MLAS
2 SRM6

DHS, Endo, Std Engine. (Max speed at about 76kph). Almost max armor

With luck, this can deal 800+ damage

I have the same but without endo-steel and a STD 250 engine. I'm heat-neutral when firing the large lasers and the SRM6 are great for finishing off someone at close range.

Easilly a money-grind mech because even if you die, repair bills are low and you can still deal good damage and score some kills.

#11 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

I have it set up with 3 large lasers, 2 streaks and lots and lots of double heatsinks, you can fire the large lasers pretty much non stop, overheating will be very difficult.

#12 Heavy Metal Boar

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMD

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

I did forget ONE thing. Four if your picky. I still have my jumps on this mech. Its a little late to ask but what did you guys do with your ups? Keep em, shrink em, move em, remove them?

Thanks a lot for you input already everyone and I have found the tactics to use 2x LRM 15 + Art effectively. It's just got some REALLY pricey ammo. I work the 4x mLASERs when the mag's empty. I WOULD rock ER mLasers if not for the 3049 limitation.

#13 Mithos

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

JJs are partially implemented in this game, and having 1 or 5 of them doesn't make any noticeable differences. So, until they fix it, you can keep one and ditch others.

Economics is in a state of being balanced too, so untill they fix it, you can use free 75% rearm for your missiles. It REALLY helps, especially with artemis upgrade. Just load more ammo using tonnage, freed by ditching extra JJs and don't pay for rearm.

Edited by Mithos, 12 December 2012 - 11:44 PM.

#14 Greers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 465 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:39 AM

I'm carrying 4 MPulse, 2 Streaks, 300XL, DHS, Endo. Fun build, I call it the Leg-Smasher, cause it's ideally suited to remove legs in a very short time :lol:

#15 Praehotec8

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 851 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

I run my C-1 with:

2X LRM 15
2X PPC
XL 265
Endo
DHS
5 tons LRM ammo
CASE
2X JJ
It's a fun long-range build, but heat becomes an issue with prolonged engagements.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users