With Mech Warrior, Is *everyone* Supposed To Have Fun?

38 replies to this topic

#21 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

View PostKraven Kor, on 12 December 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

Uh... yes, this existed in Tabletop.

Not exactly as implemented, but it did exist in battletech.

They never put it into the other MW games, I don't think, and I'm not sure the reasoning there.

Passive / Active radar was the big "stealth" mechanic of previous MW games, IIRC.

kinda think he meant that ecm as null signature system didnt exist in TT cause it didnt

in before "this isnt TT"

#22 Corbon Zackery

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

I havn't activated my prem account so now I know why people are have such issues.

Without a prem account the the economy blows chuncks and when you have a match were 4 of your teammates sit there and do nothing and you die in battle collect 80 grand for your effort then have 70k in repairs

The dev. are killing themselves with there own economy. With out the founders bonus and prem account you get nothing.

Thanks

#23 Asmosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

Passive / Active radar was the big "stealth" mechanic of previous MW games, IIRC.

yup, passive radar gave you a 50% nerf (or so) on your radar/lock range and you no longer show up on thier radar unless they have LOS. or something along those lines. It didnt prevent LOS locking, just active radar would show over obstacles iirc.

#24 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:26 AM

View PostCodejack, on 12 December 2012 - 06:56 PM, said:

I think everyone is drifting afield from the OP:

ECM has made the game less fun.

I agree with this sentiment.

And I disagree; ECM has made the game a lot more fun (for me, I hasten to add). It introduced a very real fog-of-war, where you sometimes just have to stop staring at the minimap and look out the cockpit window and find the enemy.

#25 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:38 AM

They never put it into the other MW games, I don't think, and I'm not sure the reasoning there.

Actually ECM was in other MW titles, just not a pile of broken OP BS like it is here. In MW 4 Mercs for example, it increased enemy lock on times with missiles, reduced their radar range/locks(by a few hundred meters, not to 200), and prevented BAP from detecting you through terrain. Similarity, the BAP increased radar range, reduced your own lockon time, and allowed detection through terrain. If both were in effect at the same time on opposing sides... they basically canceled each other out. If Piranha had any idea what they were doing, that's how they would have done it here. But instead we got the ECM doing much more than what it should, the BAP doing much less, and when matched up, there isn't even a fight. The BAP just does nothing at all. In order for the ECM to remain like it is now, the BAP needs a big buff and to actually do something vs the ECM. But I don't think they care about any of that... or they would have done it to start with.

For instance, if the BAP did this:
Decrease missile lock time.(Or put me to normal vs ECM)
Increase radar range(Or add several hundred meters vs ECM)

It would all balance out. But that would require them actually caring in the first place. Ironic thing is that Streaks are still OP as hell if you luck up and aren't being jammed or have an ECM of your own to force them to function. This is what happens when you drop in a device instead of just balancing the weapon itself. Streaks need a nerf on THEIR OWN RIGHT, while the ECM doesn't affect them so much. For instance, if you nerfed Streaks directly, then didn't have the ECM gut them so much, then it wouldn't revolve entirely around ECM vs no ECM. Then it would all balance out better. But again, who cares?

View Poststjobe, on 13 December 2012 - 02:26 AM, said:

And I disagree; ECM has made the game a lot more fun (for me, I hasten to add). It introduced a very real fog-of-war, where you sometimes just have to stop staring at the minimap and look out the cockpit window and find the enemy.

It could have done that without being OP or game degrading like it is now. Making it gut Streaks doesn't affect what you said. And making it jam to 200m doesn't do that either. If it jammed to 500m vs BAP, people still wouldn't detect you all the way across a map or fire LRMs across a huge field at you. But since it is so overpowered, it does its intended role plus a lot more, when it should have just done its intended role. You know a device is clearly broken when the 1 variant out of the line up will be the only one most players use. Putting aside the talent tree req, there's no longer any benefit to using any non ECM Raven, or Cicada, or Commando, or Atlas. The K variant especially is useless because it sacrifices guns for another AMS. Why do that when you could just slot an ECM instead, not losing any guns, and be entirely immune to LRMs?

Edited by Bluten, 13 December 2012 - 02:40 AM.

#26 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:47 AM

If you take ECM of your own, you can SSRM unless you are getting ganked by two 3L ravens. You were probably going to lose that fight anyway unless someone else bailed you out.

#27 HRR Mary

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:47 AM

Consider this : Actually, we relay our targeting information to teammates, allowing them to fire from virtually any point of the map.
=> That is the function of the C3 components, in TT and previous games : http://www.sarna.net/wiki/C3

So ECM having "side effects" not present in the lore, is quite logical.

I got to admit that in it's present incarnation the ECM is a bit too much, it should reduce the effectiveness of Missiles, not prevent them from locking, unless you're too close.

But quite frankly, matches are now much more fun, having to actually THINK before rushing, and being capable of actually brawl, without being pounded by 4 LRM ATLASes that virtually, are only turrets.
It forces movement, strategic movement, and the use of the old MkI Eyeball, all being good points in my book.

#28 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:48 AM

View PostBluten, on 13 December 2012 - 02:38 AM, said:

It could have done that without being OP or game degrading like it is now. Making it gut Streaks doesn't affect what you said. And making it jam to 200m doesn't do that either. If it jammed to 500m vs BAP, people still wouldn't detect you all the way across a map or fire LRMs across a huge field at you. But since it is so overpowered, it does its intended role plus a lot more, when it should have just done its intended role. You know a device is clearly broken when the 1 variant out of the line up will be the only one most players use. Putting aside the talent tree req, there's no longer any benefit to using any non ECM Raven, or Cicada, or Commando, or Atlas. The K variant especially is useless because it sacrifices guns for another AMS. Why do that when you could just slot an ECM instead, not losing any guns, and be entirely immune to LRMs?

After the patch I've almost exclusively piloted my Centurions (apart from a handful of matches in my COM-2D to check out how the ECM system works from the carrier side). I've been doing quite well (positive KDR/WLR in PUGs).

ECM doesn't gut Streaks, I carry Streaks on one of my Cents and regularly get kills with them (see e.g. my first post in this thread). I also get killed by LRMs, so it didn't gut those either. It made them not 100%, which could only be a good thing, since no other weapon is 100% (mainly by requiring that oft-bandied-about "skill" to aim).

Edited by stjobe, 13 December 2012 - 02:49 AM.

#29 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:02 AM

Lol, 100%. Yup. Totally. They never ever hit terrain. They never ever littered the ground near the target because the lock dropped. They never ever got shot down by AMS bullets. None of that. They worked 100%.

#30 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:09 AM

Mechwarrior IV has ECM. I don't know what it does, though.

#31 Korm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:28 AM

Streakcats had fun for months. Now it's payback time.

#32 HRR Mary

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:29 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 13 December 2012 - 03:09 AM, said:

Mechwarrior IV has ECM. I don't know what it does, though.

Basically, ECM in MW4 meant you could stay in "Active Radar" Mode, and still not be detected out of 500m (iirc). It's "counter" was BAP which increased sensor range, and could pierce ECM, allowing you to target a mech at 650m ... (I really don't remember the ranges).

#33 Codejack

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:56 AM

View PostKorm, on 13 December 2012 - 03:28 AM, said:

Streakcats had fun for months. Now it's payback time.

I think the consensus is that ECM is overkill.

I have officially moved from the "ECM is overpowered and needs to be toned down" camp to the "ECM has broken the game and needs to be removed entirely" crowd.

Unlike the fanboys, I do not deride anyone for playing the game to its fullest; I do not blame people for running overpowered configurations. I am running an ECM Commando with 3xSSRM2 and tearing the place up, but it is BORING.

For the sake of the game, this has to be fixed, and removing ECM from the game would be better than leaving it the way it is now.

Edited by Codejack, 13 December 2012 - 03:56 AM.

#34 Farix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 890 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:00 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 12 December 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

They should make ECM work like it says it does in Battletech. It doesn't block locking missiles, just slows down Lock-Ons.

Lock-on doesn't exist as a rule mechanic in TT.

#35 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:11 AM

View PostCodejack, on 12 December 2012 - 06:56 PM, said:

I think everyone is drifting afield from the OP:

ECM has made the game less fun.

I agree with this sentiment.

I do not - ECM has made the game better, for me, as it is a lot more tactical, or so it seems.

/shrug

Edit: That being said, no, I don't exactly agree on everything ECM does, though it seems to make some kind of sense and again further encourages teamwork by it being necessary for players without ECM "to stay in the bubble."

Edited by Kraven Kor, 13 December 2012 - 07:16 AM.

#36 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 12 December 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

They should make ECM work like it says it does in Battletech. It doesn't block locking missiles, just slows down Lock-Ons.

in TT ECM does this:

In Tournament-level gameplay, the use of an ECM suite is to nullify the effects of other electronics, such as Narc_Missile_Beacon", active probes, and Artemis_IV_FCS". It can also cut a unit off from a C3_Network, additional uses for an ECM suite are shown as optional rules, including defeating other ECM and generating ghost targets.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 13 December 2012 - 07:19 AM.

#37 Cerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 922 posts
  • LocationCalifornia or Japan

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:57 AM

I am not a "L2P GET BETTER NOOB" kinda thinker but I mean, I have not the highest FPS and I am no twitch player but I can kill lights in my heavies, my mediums, and my lights like other mechs. I takes some getting used to your own net code per light lag but I dont see why its impossible. Lasers + SRMS have been really successful for me. IF someone boats a weapon and forgets lasers, well thats the risk one takes.

#38 ebea51

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 435 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

Everyone with MS less then 280-300ms has fun.
Everyone Oceanic just TRIES to have fun.

#39 MasterGoa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

Kraven, please explain how having an ECM make you more tactical?

Also, why are only 4 mechs ECM capable?

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users