If there was a BattleTech Movie, What Era?

72 replies to this topic

#61 Adalwin

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:31 AM

Remember!

http://en.wikipedia....Animated_Series

Adalwin

#62 Woska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

Have to start with Succession Wars. Do a good story about the pointless, endless warfare. Then, in the second movie, someone manages to gain widespread support. But before they can unite the Inner Sphere, the Clans invade. Third movies ends with the Battle of Tukayyid. This gives us a nice trilogy, and leaves room for more movies.

#63 Weatherman

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 87 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

While there are many times in the Battletech universe that would suit a movie franchise, I think it would be important to decide based on whether you are making one film or multiple films before anything else. If you are only doing one film, then stick with something that can be covered in the span of 2 hours or so, like a specific incident in the Third or Fourth Succession war.

If you can make multiple films, then definitely go with either the fall of the Star League or the return of the Clans. There is a plentiful supply of source material for the Clan War that would make it easier to put a script together.

Of course there might be a couple of books that might make good movies too, like the Black Thorn novels.

#64 tyrone dunkirk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 16 May 2012 - 04:36 PM, said:

Clan Invasion. More or less a retelling of Blood of Kerensky. I think that, if done right, could be amazing.

Exactly what I was thinking. A film adaptation of the BoK done right would be great. It's a disaster movie at it's core ( how it could be pitched ) with the themes of war and discovery strung throughout. The initial sense of wonderment and fear at the discovery of the Clans. The near near annhialation of the IS forces, outgunned and outclassed. And the final, monumental, turn-the-tide battle to retake the IS on Tukayyid.
If done right, it could be gold

#65 Colonel Fubar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 650 posts
  • LocationPlanet Agoge in the Mitera System

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:56 PM

Hindsight is everything...I think it will be 3050...it is. :P

#66 MechWarrior6478661

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:56 PM

There was Robojocks back in the 80's which sucked like Pacific Rim.
The Battletech cartoon series was interesting at a kiddy level.
I wish they would do a Battletech Movie, i would buy a ticket.

#67 rolling thunder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSOUTHPORT,UK

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:29 AM

Personally the whole range of books starting in 3025 & Thunder Rift would be fantastic. What makes MechWarrior/Battletech so good is everything in in shades of Grey. One film would portray the DC as the bad guys while another would be sympathetic. Mercs are good guys & bad guys but the whole range of films would be a kick ass action adventure which would kick the action up a knotch with the invasion of the Clans.Hell they could even show the Jihad?

#68 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:40 PM

I know people tend to hate the whole Jihad storyline, but I was reading Case White, when Comstar tried to invade Terra to retake it from Word of Blake (and failed miserably with most of their assets destroyed), and thought that might make a good movie. It has an almost empire strikes back feel to it. Having a scene with the Comstar fleet breaking up like a meteor shower seen from Mother Earth would make an emotional and tragic viewing. Following he Comstar troops that do make it to the surface would add a bit of teeth gritting narrative.

A follow up movie with operation scour would me neat too.

#69 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:03 AM

Unless we can secure at least 10 films I would much prefer a TV series, preferably with someone like Joss Whedon or J. Michael Straczynski (best known for Babylon 5) in charge, we would need someone like that to competently manage the huge cast.

start with covering the Amaris cival war, and the SLDF Exodus (maybe 5 episodes) then jump ahead briefly covering (perhaps as a montage during Kerensky’s speech about why he has to leave) how most technology has been lost in the succession wars, then start the story of the Grey Death Legion, through to the Helm Memory Core and for the rest of the first season cover the story leading up to the wedding of Hans Davion and Melisa Arthur Steiner, end with or shortly after the "I give you the Capallion Confederacy" wedding speech, season 2 could cover the 4th succession war, and the war of 2039, then a 10 year time jump and the introduction of Phenon Kell ending with his Wolfhound loosing to a weird Mech looking like a hybrid of a Marauder and a Catapult.

the second season could establish (for the viewer) that the Clans are descended from the SLDF with a few episodes at the start of the season (or possibly a series of flashbacks), then proceed through the Clan invasion up to the death of the IKahn.

season 3 covers the rest of the Clan invasion through the "truce"

season 4 takes us through to preparations for Operation Bulldog and starts setting up for the FedCom civil war, ends with accusations being leveled against Ulirc Kerensky

season 5 the Refusal War and Operation bulldog

Season 6 could be the FedCom Civil War.

if it lasts longer than that then great there is plenty more material.

There is no reason they could not do a series of TV movies or spin off mini series to cover off topic stories e.g. the Wolf Hounds civil war or stories involving some of the other Merc corps or lesser powers.

in that format you could cover many plotlines but not cover the entire story as told in the books.

You would have dozens of major characters, and this could easily become a science fiction equivalent of Game of Thrones although fortunately there is little swearing, vulgarity or nudity in Battletech (my only complaints with Thrones)

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 27 January 2015 - 07:15 AM.

#70 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:18 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 27 January 2015 - 07:03 AM, said:

Although fortunately there is little swearing, vulgarity or nudity in Battletech (my only complaints with Thrones)

What? No intimate scenes with Phelan and Ranna? No one will watch it! :P

#71 Vanguard319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:24 PM

The Jihad!!!(kidding)

Being serious, I would consider the following for a series of films:

The fall of the Star League - Pretty much the event that begins the Battletech universe as most know it.

The Exodus - pretty much show Kerensky trying to unify the house lords, failing then taking his troops into exile, perhaps end with the SL-in-exile's collapse into Civil war.

The Succession Wars pt. 1 - Show how downright apocalyptic the 1st and 2nd wars were.

The Clans - Picks up after the Exodus film, Nicholas Kerensky reforms his followers into the clans, Operation Klondike is executed, film ends with the Wolverine Annihilation.

The Succession Wars pt. 2 - covers the 3rd and 4th wars.

The clan invasion - start in the Golden century, and show how events led up to the invasion itself, with the later half being the invasion itself.

What I would really love to see:

Wolves on the Border - cmon, this book has it all: fire-forged friendship, betrayal and revenge on an epic scale, and personal tragedy. It just begs to have a movie script.

The Gray Death trilogy - could make a pretty good trilogy of films, with Grayson starting out as an unknown, and eventually becoming the father of 31st century tactics.

The Jade Phoenix trilogy - Yes, I'm an Aidan Pryde fanboy, yes I would go see this.

The Twilight of the Clans - could make a pretty good series of films, particularly if the focus is on Task Force Serpent.

#72 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:38 PM

bounty hunter vrs berith (wob) best short story ever

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users