Hexa-Ppc Stalker: Possible Build ?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Lsq78

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

I guess everyone now knows the Stalker is coming, and i have this crazy idea running in my head...

Do you think it is possible, with the way MWO works, to outfit a Stalker with 6 ppcs and to be able to fire them all at once without shutting down, provided the rest of your loadout is composed of HS or DHS?

Because that would be like 60 instant localized damage, a.k.a. almost instakill on any medium...
I'm considering this, or if not feasible without automatically shutting down, at least a quad-PPC.

This is gonna be fun...

#2 Temptis

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:00 AM

if you drop some armor you could possibly fit 16 DHS which would bring you to 61.3 HeatCap but you still would overheat on first volley on Caustic as your base heat level there is 4% (8% in the crater)

better try this on AS7-RS with 4PPC 1Gauss

Edited by Temptis, 13 December 2012 - 08:03 AM.

#3 Lsq78

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

View PostTemptis, on 13 December 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

if you drop some armor you could possibly fit 16 DHS which would bring you to 61.3 HeatCap but you still would overheat on first volley on Caustic as your base heat level there is 4% (8% in the crater)

better try this on AS7-RS with 4PPC 1Gauss

Oh well, i guess on caustic i'll just resort to firing 5 at once instead of 6.

#4 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

I was fiddling with my AWE-8Q trying to get it to fire 4 PPCs for goofs. I Had trouble managing the heat from that, sooooo...

I guess it all depends on where the Stalker's hardpoints are and how big of an engine it can fit. You'll have to forgive my ignorance, but are its energy mounts in non-articulated hands? Can you put a big 350 engine in it? Then you might have a shot.

The big problem with the 8Q is that its weapon mounts are in the side torsos and it can only fit a 290 engine. This means You take up 3 slots in each side torso with the PPCs, limiting how many DHS you can fit into the remaining slots, regardless of spare tonnage (which is going to be skint anyway after mounting so many heavy weapons). The 290 engine can only fit one "bonus" heatsink in it, so not much help there. The RA can fit 2 energy weapons or a few DHS, but the articulation critical slots limited it to either two sinks, or two weapons. You simply can't fit enough DHS in there to make it worth your while. SHS isn't likely to improve the situation much either, losing those 10 X2.0 internal sinks means you have to mount too many to even match it. Maybe my math was bad, but on paper boating a buttload of SHS looked to actually lose heat efficiency.

I know you are proposing a joke build, but it hits on a problem I've been dwelling on for the past few days. I really want to like PPCs, but I can't figured out how to use them.

Just one seems a little anemic, 10 damage for a big one shot that might miss? I might as well use a LLAS for 9 damage, with less heat, tonnage, and critical slots used and just try and keep my hand steady.

I'd really like to double up for a big 20 damage meaty hit. 20 damage delivered to a single component is worth learning how to aim! But two or more PPCs just aren't heat manageable; you fry yourself out in a handful of shots. The best success I had double mounting them was on a Dragon actually. At least the big 320XL let me slot a good number of heat sinks and the added speed let me stay in the sweet spot of range.

Edited by Wrenchfarm, 13 December 2012 - 08:19 AM.

#5 Lsq78

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 13 December 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

I was fiddling with my AWE-8Q trying to get it to fire 4 PPCs for *****. Had trouble managing that sooooo...

I guess it all depends on where the Stalkers hardpoints are and how big an engine it can fit. You'll have to forgive my ignorance, but are its energy mounts in non-articulated hands? Can you put a big 350 engine in it? Then you might have a shot.

The big problem with the 8Q is that it's weapon mounts are in the side torsos and it can only fit a 290 engine. This means You take up 3 slots in each side torso limiting where how many DHS you can fit, regardless of spare tonnage (which is going to be skint anyway mounting so many heavy weapons). The 290 engine can only fit one "bonus" sink in it. The RA can fit 2 energy weapons or a few DHS, but the articulation critical slots limited it to either two sinks, or two weapons. You simply can't fit enough DHS in there to make it worth your while. SHS isn't likely to improve the situation much either, losing those 10 X2.0 internal sinks means you have to mount too many to even match it.

I know you are proposing a joke build, but it hits on a problem I've been dwelling on for the past few days. I really want to like PPCs, but I haven't figured out how to use em. Just one seems a little anemic, I'd really like to double up for a big meaty hit. But two or more PPCs just aren't heat manageable, you fry yourself out in a handful of shots. The best sucess I had with them was on a Dragon actually. At least the big 320XL let me slot a good number of heat sinks and the added speed let me stay in the sweet spot of range.

It would be 2 ppcs in each arm and 2 in the side torsos.(At least its the side torsos right? Riiiight?)

#6 MadPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

The 3F has two in both arms and one in each side torso. Max engine you can fit in is 310. You can do 6 ppc build if you want (everything fits in with 3 ton to spare), but you will simply overheat at the first alpha strike.

#7 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

May I refer you guys to the "Noisy Cricket" Mech build. With luck the video made it out of the closed forums into the current website.

#8 SniperCzar

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

View PostLsq78, on 13 December 2012 - 07:42 AM, said:

I guess everyone now knows the Stalker is coming, and i have this crazy idea running in my head...

Do you think it is possible, with the way MWO works, to outfit a Stalker with 6 ppcs and to be able to fire them all at once without shutting down, provided the rest of your loadout is composed of HS or DHS?

Because that would be like 60 instant localized damage, a.k.a. almost instakill on any medium...
I'm considering this, or if not feasible without automatically shutting down, at least a quad-PPC.

This is gonna be fun...

I already run a hexa-PPC Awesome. XL275 Engine, 320 points armor, 16DHS, nothing else but the PPCs. It gets an alpha off at about 70% heat and when doubletapped from 0 heat it dishes 120 damage and shuts down for about 3-4 seconds. Just make sure you cool ALL the way down and aim carefully before taking a shot.

Also, make sure you get coolrun and heat containment on it and elited as quickly as possible.

#9 Lsq78

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:53 AM

View PostSniperCzar, on 13 December 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

I already run a hexa-PPC Awesome. XL275 Engine, 320 points armor, 16DHS, nothing else but the PPCs. It gets an alpha off at about 70% heat and when doubletapped from 0 heat it dishes 120 damage and shuts down for about 3-4 seconds. Just make sure you cool ALL the way down and aim carefully before taking a shot.

Also, make sure you get coolrun and heat containment on it and elited as quickly as possible.

Great. So it means it must be feasible to fit in an XL300 for one more HS, 16 DHS and the rest in armor.
Here comes my oversized K2!!!

EDIT:also of note is that the stalker seems more appropriate for the ppc boat than the awesome. With those high energy hardpoint, you can easily fire 4 ppcs over a hillcrest...

Edited by Lsq78, 14 December 2012 - 04:07 AM.

#10 Bident

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

That will be awesome

Edited by Bident, 15 December 2012 - 01:11 PM.

#11 MagicHamsta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

Short answer: Mayhaps.

Long Answer: You will has MASSIVE heat issues.

Edited by MagicHamsta, 15 December 2012 - 03:36 PM.

#12 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

oh dayum here comes the PPC fetish crew....

I'd rather have one PPC that I can keep firing the whole time.

#13 Lsq78

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

Dont worry guys, its just a "joke" build.
Its just like a giant cannon on legs that can core an atlas CT in two quick alphas. It wont last long in a straight up fight but its just from the ***** and giggles i'll get from one shotting mech parts.
After that i guess ill just have to resort to chain firing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users