Ask The Devs 29!

276 replies to this topic

#241 Drakemoore

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

• Whatever happened to environmental destruction? Is it planned to ever add it back or implement it for actual play? I remember a lot of the early tech demos giving the ability to destroy buildings and other debris on the map yet as far as I've checked around players haven't had the chance to do so.
  • Understandably the most common thing brought up lately I've seen is that the engine itself is very limited in regards to player numbers on a map. Coming from a developer background myself 16 players on a map seems to be frank, quite unreasonable unless the code is in that rough of a shape. Admittedly MWO does likely need to transfer and process a fair bit more data compared to a typical mmorpg but it still shouldn't prevent you from going well above 16 players and that goes for both server and client side in terms of processing capability. Same goes for server and client bandwidth, we aren't living in the days of dial up anymore where we had to keep players able to be networked with only a few KB/s.
    • Why is this so?
    • Are you using cry engine's built in networking or third party / in house?

#242 Ashnod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

any chance of having 4 man premades drop against other 4 man premades instead of in pug matches?... perhaps 2 4 man's on each side.

#243 QuaxDerBruchpilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 319 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

Ok, just out of actual gameplay frustation: when will you rebalance this m*****f***ing ECM-Streak-Raven ********. I payed a lot of money in advance and trusted you to bring out a good game, but all you achieve so far is f****** ********.

#244 Reggimus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 341 posts
  • LocationQueenstown, New Zealand

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

So many ECM related questions.. I should ask another one.

What was the resoning behind giving Gaurdian ECM the the same abilities as Gaurdian ECM, Angel ECM and Stealth Armour combined? Was it idealogical or technical?

Edited by Reggimus, 16 December 2012 - 02:04 PM.

#245 General Peron

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

Q) Can we just buy an empty mech chassis with no weapons/engines/equipment? For example, I alredy have a Cataphract and I want to unlock the elite skills. It's not the same to spend 5m C-Bills in a new Cataphract than spending only 1 or 2 and using spare items that I alredy brought

#246 Angel Winters

• PipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

When can we expect collisions to come back into the game?

#247 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

Your thoughts?

(Modifications)
ECM:
Cut self-sensor detection down to 250 meters natural.
Increase time to "box" (get target info) by 2x-3x.
Increase lock-on time by a factor of 3 or 4. (Do not eliminate it.)
Create false positives for minimap/battlemap.
Within 180, person effected by ECM would not be able to send target data to anyone else (unless it were countered.)
Total disruption within 120 meters of enemy mechs. (kind of like it is now)

BAP:
Detect shut down mechs within 250 (as it does now)
Extend detection/lock range by 30-50% or so (pretty much as it does now) AFTER the ECM modifier. (so you could detect and box an ECM mech at around 500 meters.
See through false positives on minimap.
Decrease "box" time by half.
Decrease Lock-on time by half. (After the normal/ECM modifier)
Increase the range at which YOU can be detected by 25% (after all, you're using an ACTIVE probe)
Be limited to certain mechs, just as ECM is now.

Thermals:
Make that a damned module.
-------As of right now, it removes any tactical value of camo or ECM in regards to detection.

#248 Blazenpain

Rookie

• The Steadfast
  • 5 posts
  • LocationVA. USA

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

My 1st Q was answered by Bloodshed Romance and big thank you to you for that.

So I know when activated premium is used up it's gone, no problem with that.

My Q #2 is if you use MC to purchase items or mech slots will they be reset when the game is released for balance
or will we keep those items,mech's and mech slots?

#249 StUffz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 485 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

Since the current game mechanics favors the team with the most ECM mech and Garth mentioned that ECM is fine is there a possibility to limit usage of ECM mechs to 1 (4vs4) or 2 (8vs8) before announcing that ECM needs a nerf?

I would more like to see if ECM is powerfull if it is limited per battle.

Edited by StUffz, 16 December 2012 - 03:09 PM.

#250 Snailio

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

Garth,

Can you provide an update on the progress of Crossfire and SLI implementation?

Snailio

#251 Hawkwings

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 376 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

How long do you envision this game to be in "beta" state? What is your criteria for transitioning from "beta" to "finished product"?

#252 Darth_Spock

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 5 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

Is there already or can the data in the mechlab include some more information about thing like heat generated, cool down rates, unjamming rate (UAC5), weapon damages, etc? Could the differences between MWO and CBT be "wiki"d or at least pinned on the forums? If this already out there sorry for missing it.

P.S. could you explain the difference between the double heat sink cools at 1,4x in MWO, but 2x in CBT?

#253 Sleeping Bear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationGuam

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

The word on implementing "Cadet Time" bonuses for new players is very welcome. Will other perks for new ftp players be implemented to lure them into this great game?

#254 Lokust Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 927 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon, Inner Sphere.

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

Q 1: When can we get a Training Mode (like in WoT) so my merc unit can practice group formations and tactics on the available maps without the pressure of time limit nor enemy forces? Any ETA?

Q 2: My "Friend List" is full. It's getting harder now to setup a group because I have to keep deleting old friends just to add a new one to invite. When can we get an expanded friends list? Or better yet, could we get a feature where we can invite players to a group without befriending them?

#255 Cpt Jason McCarthy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationSomewhere ...

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

Q1 : When Paul Inouye will be fired for how insulting he was to the majority of the community [those who don't like ECM] in the Pcgamer interview ?

Q2 : How long your strategy to transform this game into crap will last ?

#256 Evoshen

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 11 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

I realize that the Clans wont be brought in until sometime in March of 2013, but can you let us know if the Madcat/Timberwolf will be one of those mechs introduced?

Also what clan mechs would you be putting into the game first once they are brought in?

#257 PsychoTurtle

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 46 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDana Point, CA

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

View PostEvoshen, on 16 December 2012 - 06:59 PM, said:

I realize that the Clans wont be brought in until sometime in March of 2013, but can you let us know if the Madcat/Timberwolf will be one of those mechs introduced?

Also what clan mechs would you be putting into the game first once they are brought in?

Canon-wise...The MadCat, Thor and Loki should be some of the first introduced.

#258 FrostCollar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, US

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

Are there any plans for introducing research trees for different types of modules?

Can you say anything about Arrow IV, Long Tom, Sniper, or other indirect fire artillery weapons?

Oh, and the biggest one from me: is there any chance we'll see a dumbfire option for SSRMs?

Edited by FrostCollar, 16 December 2012 - 08:27 PM.

#259 Noth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

View PostBlazenpain, on 16 December 2012 - 02:47 PM, said:

My 1st Q was answered by Bloodshed Romance and big thank you to you for that.

So I know when activated premium is used up it's gone, no problem with that.

My Q #2 is if you use MC to purchase items or mech slots will they be reset when the game is released for balance
or will we keep those items,mech's and mech slots?

There will be no reset when the game is released.

#260 Postumus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 399 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

1. Is there any work being done on saving mechbay loadouts? And what about not charging for upgrades until the entire loadout is saved?

2. Any reason that a quick and dirty TDM (Team Deathmatch) mode has not been implemented? There seems to be some call for it.

3. Do you ever make members of the dev team read QQ threads in General as punishment?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users