Dec 13Th Incident - Official Response

328 replies to this topic

#301 DragonsFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 655 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

Again as has been stated by a few people in this thread, if you are still seeing this issue in Firefox then it is local to you. Many people, myself included, have logged in using multiple browsers on multiple machines and have not seen this continue to happen. The only place where I was still seeing this pop up was on my desktop that I had originally logged into the site with using Firefox.

Try a different browser or machine.

#302 Inconspicuous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

View PostDragonsFire, on 22 December 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

Not a good fix as new players will still get the warning.

Being flagged as an attack site is something they should really look into.

P.S. - Tried on another machine using FF and got the warning.

#303 GODzillaGSPB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

View PostDragonsFire, on 22 December 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

Again as has been stated by a few people in this thread, if you are still seeing this issue in Firefox then it is local to you. Many people, myself included, have logged in using multiple browsers on multiple machines and have not seen this continue to happen. The only place where I was still seeing this pop up was on my desktop that I had originally logged into the site with using Firefox.

So, what you're basically saying is:

a) give up your current browser, use another one. Or, even better...

;) give up your current PC, get a new one / use another one.

Seriously? :)

I already did what one usually does: I emptied the cache of firefox (happens everytime I close it anyway), erased the cokies AND erased the saved login username and password.

So basically I erased everything I could ever erase that traces back to this site. What else can I do???

PS: Plus...virus scan, reg-cleaner and a scan with spybot search & destroy. My PC is clean!

Edited by GODzillaGSPB, 23 December 2012 - 03:48 PM.

#304 GODzillaGSPB

• 2,028 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

View PostThontor, on 23 December 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

Yes your pc is clean, the MWO forums are also clean... But there are some blacklists somewhere that are slow to take the MWO forums off the blacklist. And somewhere between your computer and the MWO forums server is someone using an outdated blacklist.

I'm convinced this is what is happening.

But as I said, I'm no expert.. But it makes the most sense.

Okay, I've done a bit more this time. Erased cookies and passwords even more thoroughly. Also cleaned the IE cache, login, cookie data for what it's worth. Then again used spybot and antivirus scanner and reg cleaner...and last but not least I erased the old URL I used to enter the forum (mwomerc.com/beta_profile or something like this) and replaced it with the proper mwomercs.com/login.

For now...it seems to work. Or it's only coincidence. :)

/edit: Nevermind, it does not. What a shi...^^

Edited by GODzillaGSPB, 23 December 2012 - 04:40 PM.

#305 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:33 AM

View PostGODzillaGSPB, on 23 December 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

Okay, I've done a bit more this time. Erased cookies and passwords even more thoroughly. Also cleaned the IE cache, login, cookie data for what it's worth. Then again used spybot and antivirus scanner and reg cleaner...and last but not least I erased the old URL I used to enter the forum (mwomerc.com/beta_profile or something like this) and replaced it with the proper mwomercs.com/login.

For now...it seems to work. Or it's only coincidence. :D

/edit: Nevermind, it does not. What a shi...^^

This and clearing cache will resolve nothing when the blacklist information is stored in a separate file within the app data hidden folder of your local machine.

#306 Tirick Fire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 172 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 22 December 2012 - 09:24 AM, said:

With what browser? Browsers like FIrefox do not store malware warnings in their cache, its in a separate file.

Yes, Chrome appears to be clear of the oddball Malware warning, while Firefox continues to flag it.

Where is this file stored? Can it be viewed/edited? Blasted annoying.

Thank you,
Tirick

#307 Knights0fNi

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

Ok, so I was also experiencing the issue where the warning continues to appear, and I believe I have fixed the problem. First of all, follow these instructions AT YOUR OWN RISK it doesn’t appear to have damaged my FF in any way but who knows? Second, I only did this about 10 minutes ago, so I am not %100 sure it fixed the problem. I'll come back and edit this if I see the warning again.

Also I am running Firefox 17.0.1 on Windows 7 64-bit, so if you dont have the same OS or version of FF I would be cautious about trying this, furthermore if you arent running Windows 7 or Vista the folders are going to be in alternate locations so you are going to have to fish about a bit to find your local profile. I'll post a list of probable locations for some different OS's at the bottom.

So, what I did, after a little research, and with the browser closed, was move all the files in the Firefox safebrowsing folder and allow the browser to repopulate the files after relaunching it. Firefox apparently stores its local cache of safe browsing information in:

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[RANDOM STRING].default\safebrowsing

This is only for Windows 7 and Vista and for the default profile. If you have multiple profiles on the machine, each will have its own profile in the Profiles folder. They will be called [RANDOM STRING].[PROFILE NAME]. Also please note that this location is within a hidden folder or two so if you don’t have hidden folders shown, you will need to go to Control Panel and then Folder Options, and then the View tab and select "Show hidden files, folders and drives" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)". You can put this back later if you wish.

I moved every file in the safebrowsing folder for the profile I am using to a different folder on my desktop (so I could put them back if there was a problem, I recommend you do the same thing) and then relaunched the browser. It then, eventually, rebuilt all the files, some right away and some after a period.

Firefox is supposed to update its safe browsing information periodically, and recheck with Google every time it delivers a warning, but this system can apparently go FUBAR and it will store lists of bad pages locally and continue to report on them without properly updating or re-consulting the online list. I suspect that it would have eventually gotten fixed when the browser did a random update, but wiping out the files in that folder seems to force the browser to download a new list.

Alternate OS folder locations are listed below, you are looking for the safebrowsing folder under each profile experiencing the problem. Also, I have not done this on any other OS and have NO IDEA what it may or may not do to your machine or even if the safebrowsing folder definitely exists under the same name in different OS's, its a good bet though. I got the following from digging around on the interwebs.
Profile folder is PROBABLY located:
XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

OR I suspect

C:\Documents and Settings\[YOUR USERNAME]\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

In Linux and Unix:
~/.mozilla/firefox/profile
In MAC:
~/Library/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/<profile folder>
or
~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/<profile folder>

Hope this helps.

[Edited for spelling, formatting, typos, etc.]

Edited by Knights0fNi, 24 December 2012 - 12:49 PM.

#308 GODzillaGSPB

• 2,028 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

I saw that folder myself but was a bit cautious to experiment with it...too cautious as it now seems. I think it works.

Easiest way to both preserve the folder and retain the files in case anything goes wrong: Rename it to "#safebrowsing". FF will create a new folder by itself.

Oh and: THANKS for the tipp. :ph34r:

#309 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

I believe that google red-lists a site for a specific period of time.

The problem should fix itself eventually.

#310 Knights0fNi

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

View PostGODzillaGSPB, on 24 December 2012 - 03:31 PM, said:

I saw that folder myself but was a bit cautious to experiment with it...too cautious as it now seems. I think it works.

Easiest way to both preserve the folder and retain the files in case anything goes wrong: Rename it to "#safebrowsing". FF will create a new folder by itself.

Oh and: THANKS for the tipp. :)
Ah, good moves. I was scared that FF wouldn't actually recreate the whole folder.

View PostKrazy Kat, on 24 December 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

I believe that google red-lists a site for a specific period of time.

The problem should fix itself eventually.
The problem that people are experiencing with FF is that even though Google has already un-listed MWO as an attack site, it seems that the local copy of the bad site list stored on certain FF users' machines is not updating properly. So for those users the warning still appears intermittently.

#311 Tirick Fire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 172 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

View PostKnights0fNi, on 24 December 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

Ok, so I was also experiencing the issue where the warning continues to appear, and I believe I have fixed the problem. First of all, follow these instructions AT YOUR OWN RISK it doesn’t appear to have damaged my FF in any way but who knows? Second, I only did this about 10 minutes ago, so I am not %100 sure it fixed the problem. I'll come back and edit this if I see the warning again...

Too much to fully quote; thank you for the suggestion. I have made this attempt and so far seems to be good.

Thank you,
Tirick

#312 GODzillaGSPB

• 2,028 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:47 AM

It still works btw. Good work no more, it's GREAT WORK as of now @ KnightsOfNi (ni ni ni!!! :()

#313 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:13 AM

The post on the previous page is correct, i had done this already on my firefox but was waiting a while to see if any issues would crop up, before suggesting it to others, so far none.

You can just delete the malware cache files inside the safe browsing folder for the same effect, Firefox will rebuild those files automatically with fresh updates during its next session.

It is not the first episode of firefox having this issue.

#314 Knights0fNi

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

View PostGODzillaGSPB, on 25 December 2012 - 05:47 AM, said:

It still works btw. Good work no more, it's GREAT WORK as of now @ KnightsOfNi (ni ni ni!!! :D)

#315 DragonsFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 655 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:56 AM

I just returned home and tried this on my desktop and also had it work for clearing the issue on Firefox there. Thank you KnightsOfNi for posting this workaround!

#316 Suicidal Idiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

Thanks KnightsOfNi

#317 Inertiaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

It would have been pleasing to see the mods acting in the communities interest and moving some of the useful info to the op.

#318 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

View PostInertiaman, on 29 December 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

It would have been pleasing to see the mods acting in the communities interest and moving some of the useful info to the op.

I'd imagine that the thread is not being followed, due to it only occurring for a very small amount of people, could try abusing the report post feature

#319 BlakNite

• Pip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over a laser colored rainbow.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

Let in my thanks, but thanks anyway for your quick action and response.

#320 Max Immelmann

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

contrary to popular belief, my email was stolen from the data base as i have just now received my 3rd spam mail from the thieves that broke in. no one else but MWO had this email, and now i am getting spam mail. better rethink your position MWO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users