Yet Another Ecm Thread

3 replies to this topic

#1 LarkinOmega

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

Simply collecting my suggestions in one spot.

How I'd Change ECM:

Leave the module and it's effects the way it is!
The module is great the way it is, it just doesn't have enough varied counters.

NARC works as normal with a halved effective range
I've never seen NARC, but it needs something. Not sure if this is good or not, but it needs something.

Change TAG to 750 range (PGI) and have TAG negate the effects of ECM for the Mech that is fitting the TAG when within 180m. Outside it negates the effects for the targeted mech as normal.
This means if you sac an energy Slot +1ton/crit you can counter 1.5ton/2crit for your mech only. Streak Cats are still in trouble, but lights and anyone else willing to sack that slot come out a bit better. It would be a hard decision for my DDC and RS to sack a laser to get a TAG. Less so on some other mechs.

Streaks act as normal SRMs when under the effects of ECM (TT justification).
Sarna lists this as an effect under the Angel ECM suite (which is a double strength Guardian) but it makes sense regardless. Don't think there would be much objection from anyone.

BAP halves the Negative Effects of ECM for the Equipped Mech (50% Target Range, quicker info and locking times). Still does not allow Missile Locking within 180.
BAP shouldn't be useless. It's still a 1 to 1 comparison but BAP is universal, so it shouldn't negate, it should counter some of the effects.

Create a haze radius effect on the minimap centered on active (aka, disrupt setting) ECM mechs. This would actually make it hard to see map features underneath, but tell you exactly where an ECM mech is.
LOL Stealth field has to go. It's funny, but it's not accurate at all. You can almost always tell where the jamming is coming from, if people want to be sneaky with ECM on, they need to be ready to toggle it and be lockable.

Feel free to make comments.

#2 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,901 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

Interesting ideas; something certainly needs to be done about ECM, though some of the problem is lag shields on light, fast mechs. But even if there are not scout ECMs, if the enemy has it and you don't, you feel punished and crippled trying to fight them. I think that in addition to being uncounterable except by having your own ECM, the system needs to be more inherently balanced. As-is, you simply get far too much for 1.5 tons of combat weight.

PS: Why do folks around here insist on antagonizing the people they ask for help? The Devs have told us over and over that they're not slavishly devoted to the tabletop rules. When we say, "the TT rules justify my idea" we're really saying, "these rulebooks for a different game, which is played in a different format, tell me that your game design is wrong." That's neither reasonable nor terribly polite - it's kind of patronizing in its way, though I'm sure you don't mean to be.

#3 Artifex 28

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 186 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:35 AM

I have been running Raven 3L (elite, XL295) with ECM since it came out.

ECM sure feels strong and I think it requires some changes. I haven't seen any statistical differences in my matches really (wins/losses, kills/deaths), but I still think it requires some tuning.

I absolutely hated the "no skill streakcats" pre-ECM, as they are the nemesis for any light, but I think the streaks are now hit too hard by the ECM. Yes, you can counter it, but it's still hit/miss -mechanics instead of a ...less binary approach.

To address that, my suggestions are following:
  • Allow locking the target whom is carrying the ECM
  • Increase the lock time by 10-50% vs targets under effect of ECM. The larger the target, the less the increase.
  • Double that effect on the target that is CARRYING the ECM
This way the target with the ECM is very hard to lock, but it's at least possible in theory. This would be less drastic than the current "no, it's impossible" -scenario.

#4 Goreshade

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 76 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationKissimmee, Florida

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

View PostLarkinOmega, on 13 December 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

Simply collecting my suggestions in one spot.

How I'd Change ECM:

Leave the module and it's effects the way it is!
The module is great the way it is, it just doesn't have enough varied counters.

I've never seen NARC, but it needs something. Not sure if this is good or not, but it needs something.

Change TAG to 750 range (PGI) and have TAG negate the effects of ECM for the Mech that is fitting the TAG when within 180m. Outside it negates the effects for the targeted mech as normal.
This means if you sac an energy Slot +1ton/crit you can counter 1.5ton/2crit for your mech only. Streak Cats are still in trouble, but lights and anyone else willing to sack that slot come out a bit better. It would be a hard decision for my DDC and RS to sack a laser to get a TAG. Less so on some other mechs.

Sarna lists this as an effect under the Angel ECM suite (which is a double strength Guardian) but it makes sense regardless. Don't think there would be much objection from anyone.

BAP halves the Negative Effects of ECM for the Equipped Mech (50% Target Range, quicker info and locking times). Still does not allow Missile Locking within 180.
BAP shouldn't be useless. It's still a 1 to 1 comparison but BAP is universal, so it shouldn't negate, it should counter some of the effects.

Create a haze radius effect on the minimap centered on active (aka, disrupt setting) ECM mechs. This would actually make it hard to see map features underneath, but tell you exactly where an ECM mech is.
LOL Stealth field has to go. It's funny, but it's not accurate at all. You can almost always tell where the jamming is coming from, if people want to be sneaky with ECM on, they need to be ready to toggle it and be lockable.

Feel free to make comments.

-- NARC should be able to broadcast a location of anyone regardless of an ECM suite. Don't you think the weapons manufactures would of designed a device to counter ECM suite? NARC should work just as much as TAG does. Yeah, give it a 75% range debuff, but let it atleast able to give LRM and Streak locks. So with Beagle active probe and Sensor range module you could have an effective range of 340m, while the target is NARCed.

-- As part of the TT rules, you could dummy fire the streaks like SRMs. That's a no brainer fix.

-- ECM counters BAP in the TT rules.

Other notes
-- The biggest thing people are missing here, is we need some form of targeting, without the red marker above their head. That way you can target mechs in your line of sight, while under ECM, but not able to forward target information, and not allow locking. This would make it easier to call targets for A B C D E F G H.

Edited by Goreshade, 14 December 2012 - 03:56 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users