Another Alpha Cat Build

1 reply to this topic

#1 OvrKi11

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

Hi everyone. So I would say I'm new to MWO, but not to gaming. I used to mess around back in the day with Armored Core and similar games, and I love the concept of the full customization of this game. I've been on here for a short period of time checking things out, and before the recent patch I was messing around in a Gauss Cat and an LRM Cat. It was fun, and I was happy with It..... until the patch...

I then changed over to an Ilya with triple uac5s which was a BLAST, but I have a special place in my heart for the Cats.

No worries of course, being that I wanted another Cat I adapted and tried some new load outs. I tried the K2 with AC20s and MLs which was fun, but wasn't fast enough to beat the LRMs, I tried the dual PPC/Gauss setup which was not as Kick A** as the dual Gauss. Of course I had to try the Streak Cat, but I didn't like the build due to the new ECM option. Then I was rocked by a 90 alpha SRM Cat not too long ago, which brings me to my new found build probably not new to you guys though :lol:. here she is:

Alpha Cat C4:
Endo Structure
15 DHS
2X JJ
XL 315 (78 KPH) w/ Speed Tweak (84 KPH)
4X SRM6 Arti with 8 Tons of Ammo (manual re arms it to 600 rounds which is plenty so no ammo costs!)
2X ML
AMS w 1 Ton
Armor 416/422 (Legs at 57)
70 Alpha

The Pros:
This mech is as fast as a Medium with full Heavy Armor, and enough alpha to take down an Atlas with 2 to 3 good strikes. Heat is very manageable with the heat efficiency at 1.25, and the Med Lasers are a great backup when your SRMs go. Of course, it's nice to have AMS as well to benefit you and your teammates around you.

The Cons:
One draw back is that Cats are easy to kill with cockpit shots and the C4 has extra large mickey mouse ears.....which look stupid....

My Recommendations:
I recommend this build over the 90 Alpha A1 because I can run more armor, a bigger xl motor, AMS and ML backups with this mech. I do however run a XL305 in my A1, but less armor and no AMS or back up weapons.

Questions, Concerns, Criticisms?

Happy Hunting B)

Edited by OvrKi11, 16 December 2012 - 10:49 AM.

#2 Alaric Wolf Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 678 posts
  • LocationAbove the charred corpse of your 'Mech.

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

I find it kinda funny that my naming of the A1 build the "AlphaCat" finally stuck. I have been calling it that for a long time but apparently it took ECM for it to stick outside of the Wolves.

Although I would not dub this an actual AlphaCat (which is pure SRMs), I ran a very similar build prior to re-building my CPLT-A1 post-wipe. Effective, although I now prefer pure SRMs. I admit I am a little disappointed at the death of the Streakapult. I never ran one, but it was quite funny to see the surprise of people when they expected a Streak boat, and got dumb SRMs to the face instead.

Edit: I will not share my A1 build, but it is neither of the two most common variants you find. Sure people will find out what the particular build is in time, but I would rather not face off against more 'Mechs identical to my favorite build :(

Edited by Alaric Wolf Kerensky, 16 December 2012 - 07:46 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users