46 replies to this topic

#41 themoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 589 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

All I know is that when I see Cataphracts with too many heavy ballistics, all I think is "nom nom nom XL engine!".

#42 Redoxin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

I prefer 2X UAC5, 2X AC2 over 4X AC5. Its way more DPS.

At the end of the day 2X gauss is probably still the best though.

#43 PanicFire

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

View Postthemoob, on 19 December 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

All I know is that when I see Cataphracts with too many heavy ballistics, all I think is "nom nom nom XL engine!".

Note I'm running a STD engine just because of that. :) Sure I'm not the fastest on the field, but I can keep up with the other heavies and assaults to support them.

View PostRedoxin, on 19 December 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

I prefer 2X UAC5, 2X AC2 over 4X AC5. Its way more DPS.

At the end of the day 2X gauss is probably still the best though.

Oh it will probably be 2 x UAC-5's and 2 x AC-5's.

And yes dual gauss guns are nasty!

#44 Causa Davion

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

I ran the dual uac5s and dual ac5s, and I got a few kills that way. I really liked charging in behind the assaults and just laying down rounds on anyone challenging the push.

However, with FF armor, DHS on the 210, +2 external, I could only hold something like 50 rounds for the UACs, and 30 for the AC5s. Considering double tap, that's 25 rounds for UAC, divided by 2 guns, I only get 12 shots off for the UACs, and I have 3 more in the AC5s after that, then I'm done.

Now that I have a 255 engine, so all the heatsinks are internal, I might have done better, but I went endo steel, so the crits aren't there.

Currently I'm running

2x LB-10X AC
2x Med pulse lasers
75 rounds of ammo
SSRM2, 1 ton ammo.
Max armor

FF
Endo
DHS.

I am at 68.7 tons, and not one more slot. I would love to run dual AC/10s, but not at the cost of my laser support, and the LBX doesn't have the focused damage, but it lets me put out a big cloud of damage for those circling ravens, and scare them off the cap.

#45 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

I run dual AC5s and dual AC2s with several tons of ammo for each. I also use Endo and DHS. I use the stock, 210 STD engine and my ammo is spread into both of my side torsos with a CASE in to protect my engine. It is a direct fire support mech made for mid range combat and it is glorious! And now that ammo is free it's profitable too!

#46 Hallgeirr Olafsson

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

View PostThrowerOfShoes, on 15 December 2012 - 07:19 PM, said:

What do yall think?

I have an Iliya with 3(UAC-5) and a 4X with 2(AC-5)=2(UAC-5) and I am having real success with both. Neither one are great at face to face with equal or heavier mechs with energy loadouts, but both are effective as second line brawlers. Like other posters have stated, find a big wingman, and support him. You will not be disappointed. I ran 4(AC-5) on my 4X to start, and found it to be under-gunned. Yes, they never jam, and if you chain fire they sound almost as good as a UAC-5, but tthe actual rate of fire was too low and thus it felt under gunned. I am not a terrific shot, and could rarely get kills with the 4(AC-5) build. With the substitution of 2 UAC-5s, I am getting more and occasionally even multiple kills.

Bottom line, continue to do what you are doing. Gather input and experiment with your builds, and you WILL find one that works well for you. Happy hunting!!

#47 Pkunk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:13 AM

I've tried a lot of builds on my 4X and this is the one that stuck:
STD 255 (65 kph with speed tweak)
4 x ac/2 (7 tons ammo)
1 x LLAS
1 x SSRM2
ENDO
DHS

The reasons I stuck with this is for these reasons:
  • The quad ac/5 doesn't leave much room for anything else so you end up defenseless against light mechs. The ac/2 is a lot faster than the ac/5 and therefor a lot easier to hit lights with. Also you have an ssrm.
  • Even though the STD 255 is a bit faster than the stock 50 k.p.h. it is basically still slow. And the range of the ac/2 and the LLAS kinda makes up for that because you can harrass from a further distance.
  • Even though you're still not really fast, those extra kph's have gotten me out of enough bad engages.
  • Plenty of ammo
I have not tried dual ac/10 on the 4x thought. But I have it on my muromets and it's my favourite build in the game so far. I run it with a 340 XL engine which bring the speed to 87kph with speed tweak. And the speed is very important. I run around in and out all the time. And the dual ac/10 is great for that because of the hight damage output.

Because of the speed I don't think dual ac/10 will work on a 4x. It's just too slow. I'd say quad ac/5 is way better because of the sustained shake -which is what you want if you end up heads up against somebody. Which is bound to happen because you are just so damn slow. But hey, you can always fit two in a 3D :)

Also a small note.. if you play with a team and you can carry out your support role the quad ac/5 seems more viable. The above is based on mostly pug games.

Edited by Pkunk, 28 December 2012 - 01:16 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users