Cn9-D Build Suggestions?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Riktor Voshek

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

Hi all, been working on the Centurion line for the last fews days, and now I've got all the Basics done I'm back into the CN9-D to work on Elites. The problem is that I'm now struggling to find any build that either of the other normal Centies can't do at least as well, if not better.

The standout features of the D seem to be a very high potential top speed, and the twin ballistics slots in the arm. If you don't use either of those, then you seem to be better off with an A and getting an extra missile slot.

I tried a direct fire support idea with a 300XL and twin AC-2's, with the intention of getting to good firing positions quickly and firing from range... but either that was a bad idea to start with, or I really, really suck with AC-2's...

I've fiddled a bit more since, but coming up a blank. Anyone got anything that works particularly well on the D?

#2 Volts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

I work it as a harasser, lbx10, 2 ML and 2 SRM4A. 300XL and speed tweak is 104.5kph. ES and DHS.

I run a little light on ammo to carry 287 armor (2T LBX and 2T SRM ammo).

I generally run in from flank / rear, offload 2 alphas (40 dmg) and bail. rinse / repeat.

#3 Flying Blind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 776 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Xl 370 2xsrm6 2xmedlas 322 armor endo Ferro

Super fast excellent srtiker/harrasser don't forget to lock open middle bay doors

#4 Tenri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationTSF

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

View PostFlying Blind, on 16 December 2012 - 01:07 PM, said:

Xl 370 2xsrm6 2xmedlas 322 armor endo Ferro

Super fast excellent srtiker/harrasser don't forget to lock open middle bay doors

This but XL 390, 1xsrm6 , and 2xML. endo + max standard armor.
I fly on this thing. One of my mates run on a slightly smaller XL(don't remember which maybe 350 or 360) but he totes 2x machine guns for dakka, 2xML, and I believe 1xsrm6, and 1xsrm4. More effective than mine since I use my D for trololol speeds, xD

#5 RatMortar

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

Another member of the EQRG created a sick build with the D, it's so good me and another guy both adopted it and it quickly became our favorite, and it's very simple:

Remove everything.
Add 2xSRM6 in the left torso (artemis is already upgraded)
Add 2xmedium pulse lasers in the center torso
Fill the all side torsos with double heat sinks
fill legs with 4xsrm ammo
lower armor a bit in either the legs or arms

This build is easily one of the best I've seen with any mech. The zombie design means you use your arm simply to cushion to blows to your XL engine in the side torsos. Despite the XL, this mech's speed and punch make its survivability one of the highest I've seen. It can brawl, maneuver around the map, hunt smaller mechs (a good pilot can manage despite being a little slower) and if you run it with similiar speed mechs, you can do some ridiculous flanking.

My K/D ration is about 2.24, and while it had been on the rise already, this mech made raising it incredibly easy.

As long as you're not running headlong into groups, I'll guarantee you'll get at least 1 kill a game. I average about 2 and die only 1 in 5 games (maybe even less).

Give it a shot and thank me later. :(

Edited by RatMortar, 16 December 2012 - 09:51 PM.

#6 Lord Ikka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

I second RatMortar's build. A couple of our members use a very similar fit to destroy Lights and harass bigger Mech's rear torso armor.

#7 Riktor Voshek

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:39 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Sounds like making it go really quick is the key! I'll try it with a giant XL when I can spare the cash :lol:

Just to give something back to the discussion, this was the last thing I tried yesterday, for a quick-ish zombie build:

Standard 300
2x Medium Laser
2x SRM6 w/4 tons ammo
Endo
Double Sinks x11
304 armour

It does just over 100km/h with speed tweak, but you can still do the full-on zombie thing if your side torsos get blown off. Kind of a halfway-house build between the standard Centi's and the XL builds.

#8 Myworstfear

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

So is it not worth it to use the balistics hardpoints? Going to be getting this mech soon to finish out my Cent tech tree

#9 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:26 AM

If you want to use the speed, there's not too much you can do with 2 ballistic hardpoints, the lightest ballistic weapon is 6tons.
Theoretically it would be possible to fit a 325XL, 2s SSRM2s, and an LBX 10 if you really hated light mechs. SRM6s make better shotguns though, and at a much lower weight.

#10 Riktor Voshek

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:13 AM

We'll have to see what today's patch brings for machine guns, as a pair of those in the arms with a ton of ammo might be some sort of use for a fast D, firing at sections the SRM's have stripped.

That said, I'm planning on using the D as a ballistics training mech at some point, just fitting an AC or two in the arm and a big engine. Probably not a "good" build in the spirit of this thread, but a pair of AC/5's with 4 tons of ammo, running around at about 111km/h could be good fun :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users