Aws-8T

3 replies to this topic

#1 salmjuha

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:40 AM

Heya guys. This was my first mech purchase. Back then I really wanted a decent ranged laser boat and this guy seemed like a great option. 2x Large Laser in both arms, ams and tag.

It's fun to play, really, it is, but even I realize the firepower is weak for an assault mech. Are there any real builds for this baby that don't rely on large missiles. I play alone and relying on larges with half the enemy team full of ecm lights is more gamble than skill. PPC would be fun but this isn't really the perfect AWS for them and they are rather weak.

Also am I the only one who's noticed that AWS seems reeeally weak compared to its stated armor rating? I mean, it feels like my cata can take much much more punishment with much less armor.

Edit: Oh right. The build I'm running: 4x LL in arms, AMS on right torso, tag in head, every slot full of DHS. I still have almost 8 tons free with max armor. Very poorly optimized build, I know.

Edited by salmjuha, 18 December 2012 - 12:42 AM.

#2 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:59 AM

Check how your armor is rationed out around your body. The default has like a ridiculous 60 in the front CT, you need to bring it up to 75 or 80.

As for builds... I love 4x LLAS so maybe I'm not the guy to talk to. You could easily put in 2xSRM6s in your chest and 2 tons of ammo. That would eat up the 8 tons you have to spare and give you a hard hitting punch up-close. Fry them at 300m +, nail them with rockets if they come any closer.

Upgrading to a 260STD engine will let you move faster and avoid a few hits. But I think that would leave you with only 3 tons to play with instead of 8 (I might be wrong here, just guessing based on my 8Q build, 4LLAS, 3MLAS, every slot DHS filled and full armor brings it up to 80 tons exact.) You will have to decide if you need a harder close range hit, or more speed.

Just a thought, but you could always try tossing a TAG in the head mount and pack some LRMs in the chest. Would have to play around with the weight and such but it might be a way to go. TAG is getting a buff in a few hours afterall.

#3 salmjuha

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

Yeah I tried medium laser+SRM6 build too but found the chassis to be kind of weak up close. So wide and easy to hit weakspots.

Edit: Ah right I read your post hastily as I was loading a game. You meant I could try SRM with my large lasers. Problem with that is the heat. Even with every slot full of DHS this thing still overheats almost immediately. Removing any DHS would make the awesome free kill for anyone that gets close. If I fit missiles I basically have to downgrade from the LLas.

Edited by salmjuha, 18 December 2012 - 01:11 AM.

#4 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:37 AM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 18 December 2012 - 12:59 AM, said:

Check how your armor is rationed out around your body. The default has like a ridiculous 60 in the front CT, you need to bring it up to 75 or 80.

As for builds... I love 4x LLAS so maybe I'm not the guy to talk to. You could easily put in 2xSRM6s in your chest and 2 tons of ammo. That would eat up the 8 tons you have to spare and give you a hard hitting punch up-close. Fry them at 300m +, nail them with rockets if they come any closer.

Upgrading to a 260STD engine will let you move faster and avoid a few hits. But I think that would leave you with only 3 tons to play with instead of 8 (I might be wrong here, just guessing based on my 8Q build, 4LLAS, 3MLAS, every slot DHS filled and full armor brings it up to 80 tons exact.) You will have to decide if you need a harder close range hit, or more speed.

Just a thought, but you could always try tossing a TAG in the head mount and pack some LRMs in the chest. Would have to play around with the weight and such but it might be a way to go. TAG is getting a buff in a few hours afterall.

Guess who I ran into today with exactly the same build XD

Don't shy away from the largest STD engine Awesome can carry (STD290). I have DHS, ENDO and Artemis on my Kayran, and my loadout would either be 4xMPL + 2xLRM15 + TAG, or 4xLL + 2xASRM6.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users