ISN News Flash

32 replies to this topic

#21 Storm McIntyre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:14 PM

View PostStarne, on 19 May 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

Ships going missing out in the Periphery? Could be a lot of things. But I wouldn't be surprised planets and systems start going dark, soon. I'm not going to come out and say that it was Aliens, but I'm betting it was Aliens. They're abducting people and stealing our technology to learn about us in preparation for their invetiable conquest.

I'm calling it now, before the end of 3052, the invading hordes will have overrun all but a tiny enclave of the FRR, and taken sizeable chunk out of Lyran and Combine territory. Mark my words. I for one am not going to let some hideous Alien wierdoes born in a test-tube or something take over our planets, steal our stuff, and enslave our people.

I agree with your sentiment.

However.... This perphery event is taking place near Taurian and Canopian space. The FRR is on the opposite side of the inner sphere from them, so I'm inclined to think these aren't the aliens you're looking for. :P

Another thing I noticed while re-reading the different articles; The first ship disappeared in Canopian Space. This last one disappeared near Taurian space. Looking at the map and noting the approximate locations of the disappearances, shows that they are somewhat far apart, and a long way from the Pirates Haven Cluster. These pirates are really getting around, covering a lot of turf in their attacks. That's pretty ballsy for a bunch of freebooters with patchwork equipment. I would think that if these were pirates, they would stick to raiding systems relatively close to the cluster. But hey, they could have the capabilities, so I'm not going to say that they can't do it. Its possible. But I'm still puzzled as to their choice of targets.

Yes, they have value, but they are highly visible targets that going to gain the pirates a lot of unwanted attention very quickly. Something is just not fitting here for me. If these are pirates, they are up to something big. What bothers me is what that "something big" is.

#22 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

Who's to say PGI's clans don't come from a different direction...

#23 Storm McIntyre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

View PostEximar, on 19 May 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

Who's to say PGI's clans don't come from a different direction...

That thought had crossed my mind. I could only imagine the howl that would go up from the forum community if that were the case. The shouts of "NO! THAT'S NOT CANON!!!" would be deafening.

Personally, I wouldn't mind it if they did. The IP is theirs, let them take it in what direction they want. I think it would add an interesting dynamic to the game.

#24 Krivvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:43 PM

Time to send the Kell Hounds soon?

#25 Name140704

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:33 AM

Two dropships lost in the periphery. Maybe they ran out of gas?

#26 redcynic

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:14 AM

I've heard the theory thats its clanners (NOT CANON, WRONG DIRECTION, ETC, ETC), And I've heard talk its just pirates being pirates

But what if its a combination of the two? What if Clanners are hiring various bands of Pirates to conduct raids on the southern periphery, to draw attention and resources away from the northen (planned) invasion zone?

#27 Gun Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts
  • LocationGarrison duty on some FWL Planet and itching for action.

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:49 AM

New calls to end the threat... and who do you think the League would send if they answered the calls from people here...

Yeah... me...

#28 Tangent

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:21 AM

Hmmm. Was the ship named the Nostromo? It's a cover up!

#29 Storm McIntyre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:33 AM

View Postredcynic, on 20 May 2012 - 02:14 AM, said:

I've heard the theory thats its clanners (NOT CANON, WRONG DIRECTION, ETC, ETC), And I've heard talk its just pirates being pirates

But what if its a combination of the two? What if Clanners are hiring various bands of Pirates to conduct raids on the southern periphery, to draw attention and resources away from the northen (planned) invasion zone?

Hmmm... The clans did use the Dragoons as a recon unit to gather intelligence on the Inner Sphere.... I wouldn't discount another freebirth unit to attack from another direction to provide a distraction from the real invasion corridor. It would be a sound strategy. Pirates or Bandit Caste being used by the Clans is ananthema to everything they stand for, so I don't believe it likely. A prospecting dropship and jumpship lost within a month of each other in two separate sectors of periphery space with no clues given as to who was responsible= one honkin big mystery.

This whole thing is bugging the **** outta me. I want to go to the periphery and see if I can't unravel this riddle.

#30 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:39 AM

Might it be ComStar? If the system in question were the location of a ComGuard depot or a recently-rediscovered Star League cache of some kind, then there is certainly precedent for ComStar to intervene in a swift and brutal fashion. I wonder, if there were surviving eye-witnesses, would they say the pirate machines were painted pure, unmarked white?

#31 Fameth Sathronaveth

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

Minnesota tribe... last seen heading south by Comstar agents. Then it vanished. Records indicated a lot of connections with the Not-named-clan. It would be interesting to see MWO complete that particular saga.

http://www.sarna.net...Minnesota_Tribe

According to sarna, they were last tracked towards the FS via the deep Periphery at about 2825. This would have given them enough time to work their way south... an follows their already established raiding patterns.

Edited by Fameth Sathronaveth, 20 May 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#32 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

The Pirate's Haven cluster has long been an unusually well equipped and pernicious force at the border of the Federated Suns and Taurian Concordat. Equipment carried over from the Reunification War by the remnants of the AFFS 237th Light Cav, who deserted following a disastrous raid on Sterope (presumably somewhere between Waves 6 and 8 of the invasion, 2585-2590), made the newly-founded Pirates of Tortuga better equipped than most (likely retaining their own jumpship and dropship assets), and subsequent raids on the Federated Suns further bolstered their arsenal. By the 3020's, however, most worlds in the Tortuga Dominions had begun to experience significant mineral resource depletion, Tortuga Prime itself having been stripped from a rolling savannah to a desert supporting one of the most wretched hives of scum and villainy in know space. A mining transport would provide both needed mineral ore and new transports (or repair parts to strip for existing warships).

#33 Scott Wolfpack Rider

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

Were I a pirate band looking to get the drop on unsuspecting targets for my trade, a prospecting jumpship with the transponder id creatively rearainged would make a very stealthy means to move into position. Used in the right way, it would not call too much attention to itself, and with the proper modifications, could carry a merry band right into someones backdoor before they knew what hit them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users