Ac On Cicada Worth It?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Volez

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:48 AM

Ive recently been using my new Cicada: EMC with 2 medium lasers and an AC/10. I really like the idea of having an AC/10 because it is rather skill dependent and satisfying to use compared to other weapon, but i am starting to doubt about its DPS overal. Even when hitting every shot the damage still seems to be awfully low. Is it worth having an AC on a mech like this at all? Or would perhaps pure lasers be better?

#2 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:02 AM

I recently picked up a CDA-3M as well. I found the ballistics just too heavy for the poor little guy. I do more damage with 4 MLAS or a mix of 2 MLAS and 2 MPLAS. With the weight saved you can beef up your armour and slap in a bigger engine.

#3 I Just Ate Your Grapes Bro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 153 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:03 AM

I use 4 medium lasers and an AC/2 on my ECM mech which I now don't run all that often. I prefer a 5 laser build with more speed.

However, using an XL 300, 4 med lasers, AC/2 and 2 tons of ammo, you can effectively fire that AC/2 horribly and still get a lot of hits with it at 75 rounds per ton. If you are a better shot than I (I'm GOD aweful with ballistics, they are just too slow for my taste) you can put up some great numbers, I still come in around 400-600 dmg in most matches with it. Though it's very easy to gauge the damage potential of your AC, multiply its number by your rounds and that is the maximum damage that weapon can do if you never miss (which I've never seen ANYONE do with ballistics) Then reduce it by the % you'd guess you miss, now you've got the damage potential for your AC (or any other ballistics weapon).

ALL that said (sorry :)) I haven't ever wanted to give up the tonnage to upgrade all the way up to the AC/10, I even have a hard time giving up the extra double heat sink for the second ton of AC ammo but it ended up being worth it because I could fire my AC endlessly while my lasers dissipated their heat. Even an AC/2 packs enough punch that when a mech gets hit by it, they don't want to stick around for a second shot (I tend to attribute this to them not knowing it is only a /2)

TL;DR I generally find 4 medlas, AC/2 w/ 2 tons ammo, XL300, fully upgraded to be the best option for running an ECM cicada, loads of survivability with a nice little punch to it, you won't be topping any leaderboards unless you can really ring true with that AC/2, but you'll certainly be an asset.

Edited by Ehrithane, 18 December 2012 - 04:07 AM.

#4 Volez

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:43 AM

View PostEhrithane, on 18 December 2012 - 04:03 AM, said:

I use 4 medium lasers and an AC/2 on my ECM mech which I now don't run all that often. I prefer a 5 laser build with more speed.

However, using an XL 300, 4 med lasers, AC/2 and 2 tons of ammo, you can effectively fire that AC/2 horribly and still get a lot of hits with it at 75 rounds per ton. If you are a better shot than I (I'm GOD aweful with ballistics, they are just too slow for my taste) you can put up some great numbers, I still come in around 400-600 dmg in most matches with it. Though it's very easy to gauge the damage potential of your AC, multiply its number by your rounds and that is the maximum damage that weapon can do if you never miss (which I've never seen ANYONE do with ballistics) Then reduce it by the % you'd guess you miss, now you've got the damage potential for your AC (or any other ballistics weapon).

ALL that said (sorry :() I haven't ever wanted to give up the tonnage to upgrade all the way up to the AC/10, I even have a hard time giving up the extra double heat sink for the second ton of AC ammo but it ended up being worth it because I could fire my AC endlessly while my lasers dissipated their heat. Even an AC/2 packs enough punch that when a mech gets hit by it, they don't want to stick around for a second shot (I tend to attribute this to them not knowing it is only a /2)

TL;DR I generally find 4 medlas, AC/2 w/ 2 tons ammo, XL300, fully upgraded to be the best option for running an ECM cicada, loads of survivability with a nice little punch to it, you won't be topping any leaderboards unless you can really ring true with that AC/2, but you'll certainly be an asset.

Been trying around abit and i must say that i really like the AC/2 with 4 med lasers, thx.

#5 zhajin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:18 AM

I have been running my 3m with 2 large and 2 med lasers. Its not as efficient againts other lights, because of the drawn out beam time. But againts anything bigger its quite effective.

#6 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

Given the Cicada's role, I would stress speed over firepower. Make sure you are going at least as fast as the default 320XL. If you are dropping speed to load up on guns, you're doing it wrong. 4MLAS can go far if you are using them right. I tried a lot of things and found I did the best when moving quick and arming light.

Personally, I felt like the default armor rating was way too low to be comfortable and wanted to raise it up to max or close do it. The Cicada will never be a tank, but it doesn't need to be tissue either. I at least don't want to break my own legs running over uneven terrain. Packing an AC will leave too much of a weight footprint to really get that armor up.

#7 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

AC10? Are you crazy?? You've already answered your own question. You're piloting a Cicada, not a Centurion.

#8 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

I have a Cicada that moves a respectable 90 KPH and I've got two AC2s. I tend to stay back, use my decent speed to go from one sniping point to the next, and just pile in the shots into anything that shows it's face to me. I tend not to be top on the damage pool, but I certainly annoy my opponents (I called my mech Pestermite for a reason) with the rocking, disrupting their aim. Normally I try to not get hit, and pester people attacking my friendlies. This way, I hopefully increase my teammates survival rate by keeping the enemy from being able to get a clear shot. I find my survival rating to be fairly good with the mech.

I also have a Cicada set with speed and 4 med lasers. I don't find it as enjoyable as Pestermite. I use to also run Pestermite as an AC20 mech, but I was annoyed by my shots either going clean through (as in, litterally through) my targets without damaing them and hitting a building, going wide, or missing between the arm and torso from me snapping the shot too soon or something. Othertimes, I'd hit with that AC20 and do either no damage, or almost no damage on a direct hit. Animations showing it as a hit too...

It all depends upon what role you want to fill. Most Cicada's are scout types. I tried to use the "It's just a Cicada, I'll shoot the _____ instead" to my advantage. It worked... till someone realized I was packing an AC20. Then EVERYONE was shooting at me...

An AC10 has respectable range and fire powered. I tried using it, but I found a pair of AC2s more to my liking. I'd have to ask, how well do you survive? Do you feel like you are helping the team? And are you having fun while using an AC10? Then stay with it. It doesn't hurt to try out an idea. (I tried an all flamer Cicada, with the idea to overheat a mech and keep them shut down and out of the fight, more or less. Didn't work and switched to med lasers instead... but was worth the try.)

#9 Volez

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:58 AM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 18 December 2012 - 06:55 AM, said:

Given the Cicada's role, I would stress speed over firepower. Make sure you are going at least as fast as the default 320XL. If you are dropping speed to load up on guns, you're doing it wrong. 4MLAS can go far if you are using them right. I tried a lot of things and found I did the best when moving quick and arming light.

Personally, I felt like the default armor rating was way too low to be comfortable and wanted to raise it up to max or close do it. The Cicada will never be a tank, but it doesn't need to be tissue either. I at least don't want to break my own legs running over uneven terrain. Packing an AC will leave too much of a weight footprint to really get that armor up.

I am currently using the standard engine, 4 medium lasers and an AC/2 and i have 214 armor rating. Is that armor too low? Im feeling alot stronger than the other scouts tbh.

#10 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

Your a meduim mech and if you max your armor, you can be as tough as any other 40 ton mech. So yes, you can be stronger than a light mech scout, but you normally have to pay more weight to go as fast as they do, and thus either sacrifice armor or weapons. You are a meduim mech, and as such, sit on the world of a meduim and a light. Consider yourself a heavy scout more than a light mech or a meduim brawler. (I placed my fast moving Dragon under the category of Heavy Scout personally. With only two large lasers and an SRM6, I don't have much punch, but I'm just fast enough to munover and just armored enough to survive...)

#11 Socket7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationCapping your base

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:19 AM

You can fit 4 ERPPC's on a cicada. :P

There are some sacrifices that need to be made in regards to thermal efficiency, armor, and engine size. :(

Edited by Socket7, 18 December 2012 - 08:22 AM.

#12 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

View PostVolez, on 18 December 2012 - 07:58 AM, said:

I am currently using the standard engine, 4 medium lasers and an AC/2 and i have 214 armor rating. Is that armor too low? Im feeling alot stronger than the other scouts tbh.

That is something you will have to gauge for yourself! Do you feel like you go down to fast? My Cicada weights in at 272 armor, a 58 point difference between yours and mine. Is that extra padding more valuable than the AC2? I think it is a matter of play style.

I tried the 4 MLAS+AC2 combo. It was OK. I liked being able to pester enemies from a distance. However, I found that unless I reduced my speed, I would miss a lot of shots. In a close range brawl it was only marginally useful, and at range it encouraged me to stand still and plink away - which was all fine and dandy until some Cat with twin AC20s knocked me out in one shot because I was a great stationary target.

If you can use the AC2 while moving and brawling enough to justify its place on your mech, go for it. If you find you are only using it when you stand still and snipe from a ridge line, it might not be a good fit for you and the Cicada.

Edited by Wrenchfarm, 18 December 2012 - 08:26 AM.

#13 Jaded Jasper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

I too run 4MLs and an AC2. It's decent supression at range, and good damage against large/slow targets up close. Fairly useless against fast mechs though, especially considering the tonnage you spent.

I eventually dropped to one ton of ammo to add an extra sink, which is fine so long as I place my shots a bit better (max fire speed is often not the best at range). I do now occasionally run out of ammo, but the extra sustained firepower is worth it.

#14 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

I'd stay away from large ACs in a Cicada. Not only does it take up a bunch of weight (of which light mechs have little), but a scout would gain more from range anyway. Nothing larger than a U-AC/5 imo.

#15 ebea51

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 435 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

I have a cidaca with almost full armour, XL320, 1 Med Laser, 2x AC2 with 325 (think) ammo.
Works pretty well - lots of dakadaka... not my thing.
But figured ild give it a shot.

#16 Lexeii

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:06 AM

Got my 3M with endo, double, ferro, ECM, 157 pts of armour, 2LL and 2SL and 325XL. think it rather nice, though ill maybe try a 4 MPL sometime. see any major problems with that build?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users