Should a pilot pass-out when his Mech is overheating too much?

77 replies to this topic

Poll: Should a pilot pass-out when his Mech is overheating too much? (124 member(s) have cast votes)

Should a pilot pass-out when his Mech is overheating too much?

1. Yes (78 votes [62.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.90%

2. No (46 votes [37.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.10%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Ennui

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:42 AM

View PostTweaks, on 04 November 2011 - 08:01 AM, said:

Precisely. As long as it's not too penalizing. In my opinion anyway, the closer to a simulation this game gets, the more I will appreciate it.

Bear in mind though that hardcore Battletech fans aren't really the full target audience of this game... they are going to have to compromise SOME realism/accuracy/faithfulness to the universe in order to compensate for gameplay and make the game more friendly and accessible to new players.

I definitely think the overheating mechanic will be included, but I'm fine with it functioning like it does in most MW games where the Mech automatically shuts down when it gets too hot to prevent killing the pilot.

#22 RangerRob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationEarthworks Inc., Cataphract Plant, Tikonov

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:49 AM

View PostTweaks, on 04 November 2011 - 08:36 AM, said:

Read the novels, even MechWariors pass out...

Yep...and Jump jets can be used as weapons capable of offing Elite Khans in the cockpit of their 100 ton Daishi.

Just sayin' not everything in the novels should be put in the game.

Besides It is much more fun to think of someone hammering away at their keyboard, hoping their Pulse laserboat restarts...while they watch helpless as the opposing mech maneuvers in for the kill.

#23 Silent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:02 AM

I wouldn't mind slight blacking out as temperatures rise inside the Mech, enough for your vision to be impaired. Maybe also have a heat wave post-processing effect inside the cockpit that melts everything together.

I don't think the pilot should full on pass out or die from their Mech overheating, though.

#24 Tierloc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationWAR_Homeworld

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:07 AM

I called it a pod, as an enclosure (I was thinking a protective shell enclosing an area), around the cockpit or being the cockpit. It already has it's own armor rating, so it seems to me to be some sort of pod. Think space shuttles.

Anyway these are neat:

http://www.mechcorps...article&sid=187
http://getinthepods.com/

#25 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:08 AM

View PostDFDelta, on 04 November 2011 - 08:01 AM, said:

Sure, passing out should totally be something that might happen if you overheat and override the automatic shutdown for a prolonged time.

+1

#26 Razor Kotovsky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 754 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationRussian Death Legion, Golden Lion lance lieutenant

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:50 AM

View PostRangerRob, on 04 November 2011 - 08:49 AM, said:

Yep...and Jump jets can be used as weapons capable of offing Elite Khans in the cockpit of their 100 ton Daishi.
Being an "elite khan" doesn't add you any HP, you know.

Park a tank under a SCUD missile about to take off and then see how well it goes.

Edited by Razor Kotovsky, 04 November 2011 - 09:59 AM.

#27 Youngblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationGMT -6

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:51 AM

Pilot hits making vision and play control sluggish would work, but knocking players out by giving them a black screen makes me worried. I'd need to see that done in a way that doesn't ruin the immersion of the game.

#28 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts
  • LocationLaval, Quebec, Canada

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:55 AM

View PostYoungblood, on 04 November 2011 - 09:51 AM, said:

Pilot hits making vision and play control sluggish would work, but knocking players out by giving them a black screen makes me worried. I'd need to see that done in a way that doesn't ruin the immersion of the game.

I never said black screen by the way. Just slight blur or tunnel vision. The center of the screen should always remain at least partially visible. The goal is to handicap the pilot's vision when he's overheating, not to completely black it out.

#29 metro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:58 AM

lets try not to over complicate matters.....common sense, will require heat management, if the Devs implement it. I think that is simple.

#30 Razor Kotovsky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 754 posts
  • LocationRussian Death Legion, Golden Lion lance lieutenant

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:01 AM

View Postmetro, on 04 November 2011 - 09:58 AM, said:

lets try not to over complicate matters.....common sense, will require heat management, if the Devs implement it. I think that is simple.
Laserboat lover spotted.

Everyone will just dance around the critical temperature like in MW4.

#31 RangerRob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationEarthworks Inc., Cataphract Plant, Tikonov

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:04 AM

I'm all for Mechs slowing down, weapons being tougher to aim, Mech shutting down, even ammo explosions due to high heat.

I'm even for the mechwarrior being knocked out from from head hits that don't remove the head entirely.

I'm not thrilled about having to worry that if i take a couple of engine hits, my mechwarrior might pass out if I shoot a large laser...

#32 gilliam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:18 AM

Not needed as far as I am concerned. If they implement heat like the tabletop game, there will be plenty of heat problems before your mech even hits the first shut down point. As your mech heats up, it becomes less efficient; it is harder to accurately hit your target and your speed is reduced. If you go high enough, your ammo might cook off, and if you go really high, your mech might even damage itself from the heat (the tac ops expanded heat scale has a critical hit on it)

#33 VYCanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:10 PM

i think we are all forgetting life support here

I think the effects of extreme temp stuff should really only ought to be happening when your life support systems are shot out of your mechs head

#34 Lorebot

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:39 PM

Passing out from the heat isn't something that happens quickly in the real world, it takes time and dehydration.

In the game I support pilots passing out from heat or even from concussive forces if their mech is taking a severe beating, but it should be something that happens rarely and gradually. It shouldn't be something that happens fast, the pilot should know it's coming and feel the need to get away from the fight so they can cooldown and recoup. If you're walkin the edge of a meltdown for 10mins because you've already slapped the button to override your shutdown and you stayed in the fight with some heroic heat management you should really start to feel it. Your coolant vest/suit, if you even have one, will start reaching capacity and it'll stop cooling you down and you'll start to feel lightheaded, your vision blurs, if the warning signs are ignored you're going to pass out (personal experience talking here). But just a few minutes of heat you can take as long as you get away from it.

Chances are that if you're experienced enough to keep a mech from melting down for that long then you're experienced enough to know that your body can't take it for extended periods any more than your mech can. So yes, I think it should be in the game, but it should not be something you come up against regularly.

#35 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:05 PM

View PostVYCanis, on 05 November 2011 - 01:10 PM, said:

i think we are all forgetting life support here

I think the effects of extreme temp stuff should really only ought to be happening when your life support systems are shot out of your mechs head

There is not really any life support against heat buildup in a Mech... Read the novels, it's pretty clear it's a huge problem even in 3048.

#36 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:09 PM

View PostLorebot, on 05 November 2011 - 01:39 PM, said:

Passing out from the heat isn't something that happens quickly in the real world, it takes time and dehydration.

In the game I support pilots passing out from heat or even from concussive forces if their mech is taking a severe beating, but it should be something that happens rarely and gradually. It shouldn't be something that happens fast, the pilot should know it's coming and feel the need to get away from the fight so they can cooldown and recoup. If you're walkin the edge of a meltdown for 10mins because you've already slapped the button to override your shutdown and you stayed in the fight with some heroic heat management you should really start to feel it. Your coolant vest/suit, if you even have one, will start reaching capacity and it'll stop cooling you down and you'll start to feel lightheaded, your vision blurs, if the warning signs are ignored you're going to pass out (personal experience talking here). But just a few minutes of heat you can take as long as you get away from it.

Chances are that if you're experienced enough to keep a mech from melting down for that long then you're experienced enough to know that your body can't take it for extended periods any more than your mech can. So yes, I think it should be in the game, but it should not be something you come up against regularly.

Absolutely, I agree completely. I don't want it to be something instant either. It should the be a consequence for ignoring sustained overheating for too long. For example, it would have more chances to happen to someone who's keeping his Mech JUST bellow the critical overheat line for more than 2 minutes. I.e. Someone who never waits for his Mech to cooldown enough before chaining heavy laser shots. It's not enough for the Mech to overheat, but over time, cockpit temperatures should be rising as the heat pumps struggle to get rid of the excess heat.

#37 Eradicator

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

lol which would you die first from? ammunition explosion from overheating or dehydration? no seriously, which one?

#38 CaveMan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

Make it like a 0.5% chance of blackout per second as long as you're above the heat threshold and slowly increase the chance as heat buildup increases. Heat should be a serious consequence the way it is in the boardgame. It's like 180, 200 degrees in the cockpit when you're into the red on heat. Enough to cause burns. Mechwarrior, especially MW4, didn't hit you NEARLY hard enough for running hot and that threw the game to energy boats.

#39 Jarek Kalen

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNorth America, Terra

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:39 PM

View PostHeatsink Junkie, on 04 November 2011 - 08:40 AM, said:

so unless theres arenas that would rend certain possible mech and heatsink anounts inoperible,

I would be amazed if there was an "Arena" that was like Trellwan in "Decision at Thunder Rift"

#40 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

View PostCaveMan, on 05 November 2011 - 02:19 PM, said:

Make it like a 0.5% chance of blackout per second as long as you're above the heat threshold and slowly increase the chance as heat buildup increases. Heat should be a serious consequence the way it is in the boardgame. It's like 180, 200 degrees in the cockpit when you're into the red on heat. Enough to cause burns. Mechwarrior, especially MW4, didn't hit you NEARLY hard enough for running hot and that threw the game to energy boats.

I like this. There could even be a pilot skill you could train (via experience) to tolerate heat better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users