461 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

Tell us what you think of the new Heat Scale Additions!

Spoiler

#2 Icebergdx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 168 posts
  • LocationEastern Washington

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

I have an issue with the 6 ML penalty, specifically with mechs such as the Hunchback 4P, which come stock with 7 or ML s if I remember right. That is penalizing a mech that is operating as designed.

#3 Asatruer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:34 AM

Similarly, the Awesome comes by design with 3 PPCs which is more than the 2 max without penalty.
Please, rather than adding arbitrary heat penalties, consider another option, like convergence.

#4 tredmeister

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 112 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:36 AM

View PostIcebergdx, on 16 July 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

I have an issue with the 6 ML penalty, specifically with mechs such as the Hunchback 4P, which come stock with 7 or ML s if I remember right. That is penalizing a mech that is operating as designed.

Same with my Awesomes! (The only assaults I own.) Further gimping an already disadvantaged chassis stock loadouts?

Also,,, more than 2 LLasers? Two?? Really??? Guess I did not notice that there was a such problem with them... :(

Edited by tredmeister, 16 July 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#5 Maple Nachiman

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 52 posts
  • LocationVancouver, WA

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:37 AM

Just because mechs come stock with more than the heat penalty cap, doesn't mean they were intended to be fire all at once. Lets just use some heat management.

Edited by Maple Nachiman, 16 July 2013 - 09:37 AM.

#6 wickwire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • LocationIgnoring The Meta Since 2012

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:37 AM

yep, those two mechs (HBK-4P(C) and AWS-9M) should have a quirk that allows them to use their weapons without the penalty or at a much reduced rate

#7 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostIcebergdx, on 16 July 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

Here's the thing. It isn't.

That HBK-4P can fire all of it's hunch medium lasers (6 of them) and take no additional heat, then fire its two arm mounted ones and the head one half a second later for no extra heat on those ones.

When the Battlemaster comes out, it will have 6 medium lasers stock, doesn't harm that one.

What this is aimed at doing is stopping the 6 PPC boats.

The SRM6 one is directly aimed at the "splat cat", the AC20 at the Jaggers and K2s.

I can see where people have problems with it (read, "can't alpha all my PPCs..."), but I am willing to see how it plays out.

Edited by Evinthal, 16 July 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#8 Sable Dove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

What exactly is the penalty?

"Scale multiplier"?
Without context, this is completely meaningless. Does it multiply the heat generated? Is it just how much heat is added per extra weapon system?

Please explain.

#9 TostitoBandito

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

Yes, please clarify what exactly "Scale Multiplier" means. By the numbers I am guessing it might just be a flat amount of heat added, but that isn't a multiplier or a scale. This is very confusing.

#10 Squid von Torgar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 819 posts

Exactly can we get a clear explanation. Does the heat scale penalty apply to every weapon alpha'd above the limit or just to the extra weapon?

For example, if I fire 3 PPCs is that +7 heat or + 21?

#11 Least Action Jackson

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 92 posts
  • LocationJust outside the Bomb Factory

View PostSable Dove, on 16 July 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

What exactly is the penalty?

"Scale multiplier"?
Without context, this is completely meaningless. Does it multiply the heat generated? Is it just how much heat is added per extra weapon system?

Please explain.

Yes, this. I can interpret a "Heat scale multiplier" several different ways, and I'd like to know which one is correct.

#12 Cryos420

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

I really don't think this will fix the problem.... people will still boat up and will just stagger fire them using a macro or something. A variable convergent reticle that adjusts as you move and fire would be a much better fix. They use it in every other game known to man, don't know what PGI was thinking, sometimes thinking outside the box works but I don't think it will here.

#13 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

If something is MULTIPLIED by 1 its value does not change, lol.
I guess it's not multiplier at all, but extra heat generated (by each weapon above limit maybe?).

Edit: another idea: "Scale Multiplier" is a factor by which weapon's heat is multiplied when you fire more than limit (so for example 3rd PPC heat is multiplied by 7, fourht would be 7x7=49 I guess and so on).

Edited by Krzysztof z Bagien, 16 July 2013 - 10:11 AM.

#14 Swift Hatchet

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 50 posts
  • LocationVegas

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

I personally very much welcome this concept/addition. Which is not to say there might not be better ideas/concepts floating around. But I'm very hopeful that this plays out as intended. Honestly think it'll be good for gameplay at the end of the day.

#15 Mizore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 427 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

I haven't had the possibility to test this yet, but... a multiplier of 24 to the AC20 seems a bit off.

But let's see how this works in game.

And why is the multiplier of the PPCs bigger than that of the ER-PPCs? Oô

#16 Nebelfeuer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

Without having played it yet a better explanation how the multiplier works would be nice.
Also i´d like to knoe how pulse and er lasers are treated and if they are in the same category as normal versions.
Furtermore would have limiting the amount of simialtainiously fired SRM, SSRM and LRM launchers regardless of size not been a better limitation? I would consider 2 of each category at the same time a good limitation in order to dicourage mixed boating builds like eg 3srm6+3srm4 Splatcats or 6xLRM5 TrollCATs.

Edited by Nebelfeuer, 16 July 2013 - 10:13 AM.

#17 wickwire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • LocationIgnoring The Meta Since 2012

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

View PostMizore, on 16 July 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

And why is the multiplier of the PPCs bigger than that of the ER-PPCs? Oô

i guess thats because the er ppc already generated more heat on its own

#18 IceSerpent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

View PostSwiftHatchet, on 16 July 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

I personally very much welcome this concept/addition. Which is not to say there might not be better ideas/concepts floating around. But I'm very hopeful that this plays out as intended. Honestly think it'll be good for gameplay at the end of the day.

I just love white knights who welcome things without even knowing what those things are. For now we have no clue what "scale multiplier" is and values of 1.0 in quite a few places suggest that it's not a multiplier at all.

#19 Milocinia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

I don't want to facepalm, I want to bang my effin head against a brick wall at everyone who says "I can't use my HBK or AWS as it was intended".

Honestly, I don't even...

#20 Ancih

• PipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 49 posts
  • LocationMontréal

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:17 AM

I would take the baby steps approach, slowy tweak it until it feels just right, don't overnerf
Many mech come stock with 3 ppc, 6 med, 4 large, etc...
here is what I would do instead

Weapon System Max No-Heat Penalty Alpha Scale Multiplier PPC 3 5.0 ERPPC 3 2.5 ML 6 1.0 LL 4 2.0 AC/20 1 20.0 SSRM 4 1.0 SRM2 4 1.0 SRM4 4 1.0 SRM6 3 1.0 LRM15 2 2.0

This is how I would adjust on the first pass, a bit less drastic, and then if its not enough, go ahead and increase it a bit more next pass.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users