2251 replies to this topic

#1261 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:33 AM

Hmmm... seems interesting. but not quite content to go through all the effort in learning to do something when I could so a similar thing via pencil or pen....

But then again, no one gives a **** about traditional art and a half baked blender mech would be more liked then a drawing...

So tempting...

#1262 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:33 PM

To clarify
I don't want fixed models, I'm happy to do that, I'm just so tired after work it's going to take ages to figure out how to extract and convert an entire Locust, so just wanted the basic .obj (or .stl) files to convert over and work on.

#1263 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:45 PM

View PostOvion, on 09 January 2015 - 01:33 PM, said:

To clarify
I don't want fixed models, I'm happy to do that, I'm just so tired after work it's going to take ages to figure out how to extract and convert an entire Locust, so just wanted the basic .obj (or .stl) files to convert over and work on.

Oh, just use Blender and the mech importer script. I can get a whole mech .blend file set up complete with armature in about 15 minutes now. You probably don't need the armature, but it basically does everything for you.

See my third tutorial on how to use it. And if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

#1264 Selene Lunaris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 128 posts
  • LocationFrom Safety To Where?

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:28 AM

I've been mucking about with this for several hours now, the script in particular, and I keep running into the same issue. PowerShell never asks me to input the directory holding the .obj files. The script does run, but spews an insane amount of errors, and the resulting import.txt is completely useless. I'm at my wit's end. Help.

edit: nvm i am a huge idiot and was using an old version of ps

edit 2: now I've got a wholly different issue in that it creates an import.txt without spewing errors but pasting it in the python console does absolutely nothing. Help?

Edited by Chrona, 11 January 2015 - 09:05 AM.

#1265 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:03 PM

View PostChrona, on 11 January 2015 - 08:28 AM, said:

edit 2: now I've got a wholly different issue in that it creates an import.txt without spewing errors but pasting it in the python console does absolutely nothing. Help?

Not sure exactly what would cause that to happen, but just a couple of quick troubleshooting questions:

- Did you convert all the .cga files to .cgf?
- Did you run them through Noesis with the cryengine .dll to convert to .obj, and have those in the proper directory structure?
- Do the materials exist (should be 4: <mech>_body, _variant, _window and decal)?

#1266 Selene Lunaris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:13 PM

View PostHeffay, on 11 January 2015 - 01:03 PM, said:

Not sure exactly what would cause that to happen, but just a couple of quick troubleshooting questions:

- Did you convert all the .cga files to .cgf?
- Did you run them through Noesis with the cryengine .dll to convert to .obj, and have those in the proper directory structure?
- Do the materials exist (should be 4: <mech>_body, _variant, _window and decal)?

Yup. There's definitely stuff happening in the console but there's just nothing popping up in blender.

#1267 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:20 PM

Can you PM me your import.txt file?

#1268 Selene Lunaris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:23 PM

View PostHeffay, on 11 January 2015 - 01:20 PM, said:

Can you PM me your import.txt file?

in the morning, sure. I'll double check the last materials bit too. those are just in the pak files, right?

for now, i'm off for sleepies

#1269 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:57 AM

View Postsneeking, on 16 January 2015 - 12:07 AM, said:

My rostock max v2 kit will be here within the week, let the sharp learning curve begin lol.

I'll see if I can whip up an updated version of the tutorial. The old ones are ok, but with Mech Importer it can all be consolidated into one video. Including rigging. I think.

#1270 Level1Firebolt

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:49 AM

3D printed metal dual PPC timberwolf (my personal config of choice) model that just came in the mail today.

Posted Image

Edited by THATONE, 17 January 2015 - 10:49 AM.

#1271 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:59 AM

Posted Image

OK, will work on a new video tonight. There is no reason that the internet shouldn't consist primarily of the stuff like this, and I want to help make that happen.

#1272 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:00 AM

Detail the journey with lots of pics and make an album to share!

#1273 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:22 AM

This is my first attempt at a Blender render. Please be kind. Required a little gimping with the weapons but wouldn't be able to of done it without the awesome instructions here. Thanks :-).
Posted Image

Now how do i make them posable?

Background from of iliketowastemytime..com

Edited by mad kat, 22 January 2015 - 02:42 AM.

#1274 baabaa214

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:07 AM

very nice

#1275 Mech42Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 917 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:56 AM

View Postmad kat, on 22 January 2015 - 02:22 AM, said:

Background from of iliketowastemytime..com

Heh so do I... just for fun I looked up that website and it gave me results for dating websites :unsure: lol

Edited by Mech42Ace, 22 January 2015 - 07:57 AM.

#1276 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:47 PM

Right i figured out to make the mechs pose but being the noob in blender i am i did something different by exporting the models in stl. Which allowed me to break apart the model by individual parts and then regroup them into the components i wanted but then off course i could not apply the uv maps.

Would loading the obj into solidworks allow me to break it up but still allow the uv map to work if i still save it as an obj?

I tried breaking the obj files apart first i should add but my pc was having none of it. So is there a way i can apply the textures first then save it on a format that allows me to manipulate the mechs like below.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by mad kat, 22 January 2015 - 03:04 PM.

#1277 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:19 PM

My third tutorial video has some detailed info on how to import the armature as well, so you can do some posing. It also includes some clean-up info, and how to set up the IKs.

See if that helps. You have to use Noesis to convert the .chr file to Collada, but that is a simple process and should be described in the video.

#1278 Ra-ul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 122 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:01 PM

I don't know if this is a bit OT, but has anyone tried to figure out how to actually get those mechs to play in Cryengine? Imagine the possibilities it would open up for MWO film makers :) (even if its on self-made maps) or just making cool screenshots.

I know there were ways to import the MWLL Mechs into sandbox and load a script to actually run around in them, but I could not find a way to do so with MWO Mechs. I guess one of the major problems or difference to MWLL would be that MWO Mechs are customizable and get their loadout from the MWO servers (mechlab), but maybe it would be at least possible for the trial/stock mechs.

#1279 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:10 PM

View PostGraySho, on 23 January 2015 - 01:01 PM, said:

I don't know if this is a bit OT, but has anyone tried to figure out how to actually get those mechs to play in Cryengine? Imagine the possibilities it would open up for MWO film makers :) (even if its on self-made maps) or just making cool screenshots.

I know there were ways to import the MWLL Mechs into sandbox and load a script to actually run around in them, but I could not find a way to do so with MWO Mechs. I guess one of the major problems or difference to MWLL would be that MWO Mechs are customizable and get their loadout from the MWO servers (mechlab), but maybe it would be at least possible for the trial/stock mechs.

It's doable, though I've only done it the once to see if I could. I can't recall the process, unfortunately.

#1280 Ra-ul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 122 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:09 PM

View PostSparks Murphey, on 23 January 2015 - 02:10 PM, said:

It's doable, though I've only done it the once to see if I could. I can't recall the process, unfortunately.

This is great news. Do you remember anything? I'm not so much into the in's an out's of CryEngine, more of an environment artist, but any hint would be great.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users