How To: Create Your Own Art Using Pgi's Mechs

Art Misc

2251 replies to this topic

#141 Allfex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

Hm...

hammered out a fast idea for a Gauss-kitty.

Hope that is ok for you? What do you think?

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Allfex, 08 February 2013 - 11:46 AM.

#142 parman01

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

More volume! This looks more like those anti aircraft pew pew pew guns to me. I imagine gauss rifle should be really massive. Just look at Fafnir how wide are those side torsos in comparsion with center. (well i know it's wielding heavy gauss, but mech itself is much larger than Catapult).

This is just my opinion however....maybe canon-wise this is just right.

#143 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostAllfex, on 08 February 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

Hm...

Posted ImagePosted Image

Hmmm... liking everything BUT the barrel. To skinny. Gauss are medium bore, but more than anything, they are a Coil-Gun, so the barrel are surrounded with a series of magnetic coils. Then you have an armored sleeve to protect them, which is why I used the PPC Barrels, since in many regards, the construction is similar.

I would also have a little more off the "box" left from the original arms (since they won't let us deepseix the useless actuators) and where the PPC's once resided, add ammunition hoopers.

Just my stiff necked take on all things Gauss Kitty, though. Am real excited to see where this journey ends.

#144 Allfex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:37 AM

Have corrected the size a bit.

In relation to todays "navi-railguns", the size should be ok now? What do you think?

Want that sound for MWO's Gauss-rifles!

Posted Image

Edited by Allfex, 09 February 2013 - 04:40 AM.

#145 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:38 AM

View PostAllfex, on 09 February 2013 - 04:37 AM, said:

Have corrected the size a bit.

In relation to todays "navi-railguns", the size should be ok now? What do you think?

Want that sound for MWO's Gauss-rifles!

Posted Image

Pretty nice. I can't say I see the last "reduction" in the barrel as needed, but it is a matter of preference. The thing is, a rail gun uses a totally different idea for the EM gun than a coil gun. A Rail Gun is actually the more powerful, and probably, since it's "barrel" is 2 rails conducting the projectile, smaller and more efficient (aside from having a bad habit of melting the rails), and would make more sense as the "Gauss Rifle" of Battletech, but for whatever reason, the Gauss of Btech is the comparably slow and ineffiecient (and bulky) Coil Gun.

So I still prefer the "big fat" gun barrels, but still think yours looks cool, but would actually think ti a better DakkaPult, just toss an ejection port and a muzzle break on each barrel!

#146 Zypher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 418 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

View PostGhogiel, on 15 January 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

They should mostly be 1024x1024s. Some of the normal maps are 2048x2048s.

they were orginally all 2048, diff, norm and spec. But when they changed to the camo compatible shader set up they had to add a blend map, and they also have a damage map that will alpha blend in when your mech takes damage, and they added a gloss map.
So when the amount of maps and shader complexity increased that much they cut the some map sizes down.

I still have some of the old maps tucked away. Obviously not all of them as from the raven onward the old workflow was abandoned.

Yes.

It seems they have managed to keep the ingame textures at the same fidelity even though they cut the diffuse maps down to 1024. I assume this has something to do with the blend map using values from a 2048 map somewhere. Oh well, I don't think I am going to spend the time recreating the map, at least they are nice enough to let us play with their assests, hrrm that doesn't sound right ;)

#147 parman01

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

Hello. Does anyone know how founder textures are set up? I promised to create founder paint scheme for my papercraft but as non-founder myself I quite struggle to find any good screenshots.

There is a file in directory called *mechname*_variant.dds which is apparently texture for differences on founder mechs. (it contained texture for Atlas' different head). However I'm unsure where textures for the rest od the body are.

Edited by parman01, 09 February 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#148 Allfex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

View Postparman01, on 09 February 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

Hello. Does anyone know how founder textures are set up? I promised to create founder paint scheme for my papercraft but as non-founder myself I quite struggle to find any good screenshots.

There is a file in directory called *mechname*_variant.dds which is apparently texture for differences on founder mechs. (it contained texture for Atlas' different head). However I'm unsure where textures for the rest od the body are.

Objects > Mechs > Skin > Founders_A

#149 parman01

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:33 AM

Thank you sir!

#150 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

View PostAllfex, on 08 February 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

Hm...

Main recommendation that I would make would be to include armored skirts where the arms would go like on the cicada series and the RVN-2X.

#151 7 Nation Army

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

Great tutorial, too bad that software is currently unavailable. Ill have to scrounge around to find it.

#152 alfalfasprossen

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

View Post7 Nation Army, on 12 February 2013 - 07:51 AM, said:

Great tutorial, too bad that software is currently unavailable. Ill have to scrounge around to find it.

you mean noesis?
http://oasis.xentax....noesisv4052.zip
http://oasis.xentax....yengine_cgf.zip
the site may be down now and then, for me its currently available, so maybe try several times B)

#153 Allfex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

View PostFros7bite, on 12 February 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

Just finished the rigging the Atlas, and I added our Clan's colors! Tell me what you think!

Posted Image

Wow... looks beast! Nice finish! Like... like... like!

Edited by Allfex, 12 February 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#154 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

A completely unrelated side project, using the cockpit models/textures from the Hunchback, a ficus (don't ask), and some in game video:

Posted Image

#155 Allfex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

View PostHeffay, on 12 February 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

A completely unrelated side project, using the cockpit models/textures from the Hunchback, a ficus (don't ask), and some in game video: Posted Image

Hey my friend...

i see your problem :P

You have some mesh's/ group's but in the obj export all of these have only on and the same material assigned. You have to select 1 group/mesh in editmode... than make a new material...give it a good name and hit ASSIGN. do the same for the others. Do it with open uv-editor to check. To speed up this work select over the outliner-tap.
But if you allready joined them together...than... you have a little problem ;)

Btw i have little hint for ya! for the instrument and screen texures you have to look in a other folder because some stuff (cockpit for example) shares the same textures.

unzip: \Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\Textures

Than in the unzipped files you should find in a folder called mech the shared textures for your cockpit ;)

Have fun and ask, maybe i can help

Cheers

Edited by Allfex, 13 February 2013 - 10:15 AM.

#156 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

Yup, that's exactly what I did. Doh! The cockpit came in something like 12 separate meshes. I joined them, then did the texture assigning. As you can see... it's *sorta* right in some areas, but completely wrong on all the rest. Thanks for the heads up!

#157 ShadowRonin

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

Hi guys,
I am trying to follow this great thread but I have run into an issue. When I try to import the *.dae file to blender and I am looking at the drop down window and there is no option to import Collada/.dae. I did some reseach and I think I might need a plugin for blender or something. I am using linux mint 13 and blender 2.62-1. Any help would be great.
Thanks.

#158 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

View PostFros7bite, on 12 February 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

Just finished the rigging the Atlas, and I added our Clan's colors! Tell me what you think!

Posted Image

I think i need to nuke it from orbit...

#159 Allfex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:17 AM

View PostShadowRonin, on 14 February 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

Hi guys,
I am trying to follow this great thread but I have run into an issue. When I try to import the *.dae file to blender and I am looking at the drop down window and there is no option to import Collada/.dae. I did some reseach and I think I might need a plugin for blender or something. I am using linux mint 13 and blender 2.62-1. Any help would be great.
Thanks.

Hey...export and import it as .obj. That's what i do ;)

Edited by Allfex, 15 February 2013 - 12:20 AM.

#160 Sparks Murphey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:06 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 06 February 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

anyone who has rendered teh Cat up for a challenge? Wanna produce a proper Gauss-A-Pult? I have crudely gimped one together from the mech lab... I would like a little more meat connecting the back of the barrels to the shoulder joint, but otherwise am almost there.....

View PostHayden, on 11 February 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

Main recommendation that I would make would be to include armored skirts where the arms would go like on the cicada series and the RVN-2X.

From such ideas, I give you this...
Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users