How To: Create Your Own Art Using Pgi's Mechs

Art Misc

2251 replies to this topic

#2241 Lord Seddok

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 03:01 AM

Many thanks for this awesome tutorial + plugins!
I imported the Griffin and had to adjust the Nodes, because your addon uses the dif.dds-file für Base Colour. I also changed the ddn.dds-file being the input for Alpha to being the input to Normal, as this had a better lighting for me.
https://www.dropbox....riffin.png?dl=0
Sadly, there still are some issues. As you can see in the following 2 pictures, somehow the UV-Maps for the weapons i.e. barrels of PPCs, ACs and Lasers seem to be wrong. Did I missed the right texture/dds.-file here? Strangely the rocket launchers seem totally fine.
https://www.dropbox....pIssue.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox....Issue2.png?dl=0
More strangely, as I worked with the Centurion, he had the same issue - But when I simply imported the dae.-file your CryEngine-Converter created, the weaponry was just fine regarding UV-Maps etc.! This sadly did not work for the Griffin.dae-file - Weaponbarrels have strange UV-Maps compared to the variant.dds-files as well.

Anyone has an idea how to fix this? I read something about rotating the maps in GIMP, but since the Rocket launchers are totally fine, I'm a little bit confused.

Thanks in advance!

#2242 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 16 October 2021 - 07:47 AM

The importer does a best guess on the materials to use for each model. Sometimes it gets it wrong though, as some parts use the mech material and others use the -variant material. You can select one of the parts and try the default or variant model to see if you can get the correct one. Unfortunately there isn't a way to do this programmatically. :(

#2243 Lord Seddok

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 07:31 AM

Unfortunately no material I found so far fits to the UV-Mapping of the problematic weapons. But thanks anyway. Posted Image

#2244 ghost1e

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 403 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationReigning World Champion

Posted 10 November 2021 - 12:54 PM

laser, ppc, ac barrels use the generic textures found under mechs/generic

#2245 Lord Seddok

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 03:21 PM

Oooooh! That actually makes a lot of sense since the weapons all use the same models! Thanks for the advice, that really helped me out there. Posted Image

#2246 hepl fat

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 12:33 AM

I've gotten this mostly to work, but some of the textures just don't exist? Like the weapons diffuse map is just invisible even though the normal and specular maps are fine, or the marauder diffuse map is invisible while it's normal and specular maps are fine. Anyone know how to fix this?

#2247 TheSkiDog

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 05:13 AM

The alpha channel is used for data in both the specular and diffuse maps.
Blender doesn't interpit this correctly. A simple fix is to use PS or gimp to remove the alpha channel and save in another format like PNG or JPG.
I've spent a lot of time trying to do a node setup to use the data that is stored in the alpha channel,... Unfortunately PGI has been inconsistent with the data put in the diffuse map's alpha channel. If there is no data in the alpha channel blender interpits as the map being completely transparent. I have a working node setup that uses the data with most maps but it's not perfect and a bit complicated... I'll post it if you like, and maybe if Heffay can sticky it???

Any way, let me know.

Edited by TheSkiDog, 22 December 2021 - 05:21 AM.

#2248 hepl fat

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 11:45 AM

Disabling the alpha channel worked, thanks a bunch! Kind of feel silly now, knowing how simple it was, lol. :)

#2249 TheSkiDog

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 02:25 PM

No worries

#2250 Mermster

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 06:27 PM

I'm usually a pretty savvy guy, but I can not get the mech importer to work. I started with Blender 2.9.3 LTS, then moved back to 2.8.3 LTS, now I'm on 2.8.0. I get the addon installed, and select the .cdf file, but nothing happens after clicking import.

So far I've only tried it on a King Crab and a Marauder after converting the files to dae (got a few chunk errors, but it's looking like that's about normal). Anybody else seen this / know how do deal with it?

#2251 TheSkiDog

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 08:47 AM

Haven't used this in a while, but I'll do some research.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users