What Is The Stalker's *actual* Torso Twist Range? (Bug/glitch Q?, Not Complaint)

17 replies to this topic

#1 MuonNeutrino

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

So I've gotten conflicting data on how large of a torso twist range the Stalker is actually capable of. Specifically, we had a dev post in one of the threads discussing the stalker before the servers came back up (unfortunately can't find it now) stating that it had a 60 degree torso twist, as a designed weakness. Subsequently I've seen that figure all over the forums in various discussions.

However, last night I tried out the trial stalker in game, and it most *definitely* had more than a 60 degree twist. I did some experiments at the start of the game, and using the in-game compass I lined my legs up on 180 deg (south) and twisted left, and my torso came to a stop at 95 degrees, for a total torso twist range of 85 degrees. At that point I assumed the 60 degree figure to be erroneous or old and continued planning out the stalker builds I'l buy later.

However, so many people are quoting the 60 degree figure that I'm getting worried again. Which one *is* it exactly? I don't want to buy one and find I was wrong.

#2 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

its like 90* right now in game. don't ruin it

Edited by Tennex, 19 December 2012 - 09:37 AM.

#3 BlackSquirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 873 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

Super small... Compared to say cat which is like a friggin owl head turning in all sorts of creepy directions.

#4 Noodlesoup

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 260 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

you were measuring from centerline to centerline or are you including the far left visible arc?

without the unlock bonus, the twist range is pretty narrow and definitely not close to 85 degrees on one side

#5 Quad Ace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

I'm getting ~90 to each side, center-line to center-line.

#6 Relic1701

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationDying at the end of your cheese build!

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

According to a post I read somewhere, it's 60 degrees to each side....

#7 Kristov Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

My own observations in my Stalkers so far, with the 10% extra twist range, is that base is indeed 60 degrees off centerline.

How you get 90 is beyond me, as I know for a fact that my Stalkers do NOT twist 90 degrees, that would put my facing at a complete right angle to my centerline and that is simply not what is happening.

#8 MuonNeutrino

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

Hmm. This is starting to sound like there's some sort of bug/mistake here, because I just went and absolutely *confirmed* that the trial stalker gets ~85 degrees of torso twist. Three screenshots here - first my torso is centered and I'm lined up facing due N, with the compass reading 0 degrees. Second, I'm twisted fully to the right and the compass reads 84 degrees, and third I'm twisted fully left and the compass reads 275 degrees. In both cases I'm getting ~85 degrees of twist.

Posted Image
un-cropped: http://img441.images...434/ttwistc.png

Posted Image
un-cropped: http://img838.images...879/ttwistr.png

Posted Image
un-cropped: http://img821.images...898/ttwistl.png

Can anyone with a stalker please try to reproduce this? Specifically, I'm starting to wonder if either the trial stalker in particular or the 3F in general has its max torso twist bugged, or perhaps if it's one of the other variants or the efficiencies. So if you have a stalker and are willing to test this, could you please record:

How much torso rotation you get, measured using the compass (no screenshots needed)
If you're piloting the trial stalker
If you're not, which variant(s) you tried
Which efficiencies you have (if any)

#9 IceSerpent

• 3,044 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

*facepalm*...so, not a single one of you guys bothered to look it up in the game files instead of speculating wildly on the forums? STK-3F has 85 degree torso twist, the rest have 60 degree torso twist.

#10 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

View PostIceSerpent, on 19 December 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

*facepalm*...so, not a single one of you guys bothered to look it up in the game files instead of speculating wildly on the forums? STK-3F has 85 degree torso twist, the rest have 60 degree torso twist.

That seems unusual, I'm getting quite the manageable twist in my -5M.

#11 IceSerpent

• 3,044 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

View PostStingz, on 19 December 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

That seems unusual, I'm getting quite the manageable twist in my -5M.

From stk-5m.mdf:
<MovementTuningConfiguration
  MaxMovementSpeed="16.2"
  TorsoTurnSpeedYaw="20"
  TorsoTurnSpeedPitch="11.25"
  ArmTurnSpeedYaw="45"
  ArmTurnSpeedPitch="45"

TurnLerpLowRate="0.2"
  TurnLerpMidRate="0.15"
  TurnLerpHighRate="0.1333"
  AccelLerpLowRate="0.1875"
  AccelLerpMidRate="0.0425"
  AccelLerpHighRate="0.025"
  DecelLerpLowRate="0.15"
  DecelLerpMidRate="22.5"
  DecelLerpHighRate="22.5"
  ReverseSpeedMultiplier="0.666"

MaxTorsoAngleYaw="60"  <--------------------------------------------------
  MaxTorsoAnglePitch="20"

Edited by IceSerpent, 19 December 2012 - 04:23 PM.

#12 MuonNeutrino

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

View PostIceSerpent, on 19 December 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

If I knew how to do that, I would have.

And that seems... really strange. I suppose that could definitely fall under the category of 'giving an otherwise outclassed variant some unique quirk to make it worth using', but that seems like a very powerful 'quirk'. I'm guessing that they screwed it up.

#13 Noodlesoup

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 260 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

i'm guessing this wasn't intentional and will probably be fixed now.. should have kept quiet about it ;-)

#14 IceSerpent

• 3,044 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

View PostMuonNeutrino, on 19 December 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

If I knew how to do that, I would have.

I use 7-zip to look inside .pak files, but that's just personal preference.

#15 Sarevos

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

View PostNoodlesoup, on 19 December 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

i'm guessing this wasn't intentional and will probably be fixed now.. should have kept quiet about it ;-)

the 3f is the only one designed to fight at all ranges the others are primarily long range support I think its by design

#16 IceSerpent

• 3,044 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

View PostNoodlesoup, on 19 December 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

You could be right, on the other hand I still can't believe that they decided to limit torso twist to 60 on any mech, let alone a Stalker that is supposed to be able to brawl to a certain extent. I guess those who don't know history (Nova in MW4) are indeed doomed to repeat it.

#17 Sarevos

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

View PostIceSerpent, on 19 December 2012 - 04:34 PM, said:

You could be right, on the other hand I still can't believe that they decided to limit torso twist to 60 on any mech, let alone a Stalker that is supposed to be able to brawl to a certain extent. I guess those who don't know history (Nova in MW4) are indeed doomed to repeat it.

the nova had 15 degrees of torso twist lol but almost all of its weapons were on its arms which could swing almost all the way around this makes sense with the cockpit having a compressed 360 view its practical in canon just not in mwo but i digress if you use the stalker as a sniper (not like the name is any hint there eh?) torso twist is a non issue and even in a brawl its an assassin designed to dive on and kill a priority target and back off

#18 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

if it is intentional i'm dropping an ams for more torso twist

also like the other guy said, it's really bad at brawling. an atlas has more armor on its side torso than the stalker has on its center.

instead the most success would be found using the lrm's to smash and the lasers to carve a chunk from the enemy, using srms against any target who gets close enough. It's tough killing lights especially since lasers dont do well against lag shield, but the srms clobber them

Edited by Battlecruiser, 19 December 2012 - 06:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users