Request: Stk 5S Config

6 replies to this topic

#1 Hania

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

Hey guys, I've never been much of an assault player preferring to play support style 'mechs. My first mech was a Catapult C4 and I have since mastered that and most of the Hunchback variants playing both long and close support, medium recon and harassment style of play. A friend of mine mentioned that I might like the Stalker since it was similar to the Catapult in many ways so I looked into it and convinced myself to give it a go. When I read up about the TT stock load outs the idea of a varied support 'mech frame started to grow on me: balanced long and short range firepower with decent armour. When PGI announced the Hard-points I decided to pay a bit more and get the 5S because it was similar to the 3F but with two AMS slots (should I ever want to use 2).

Since the patch I have been adjusting this 'mech on and off trying to configure it so that it best fits my desire to have a varied loadout. I have tried XL engines and Standard engines and have really struggled to keep the 'mech heat under control. I tried doing the math as I understand it on SHS vs DHS but right now I am at a point where a helping hand wouldn't be turned away. I am not a fan of XL engines but the weight constraints I've run into have forced me to use it currently. Bellow is my current build:

STK 5S (varied support role).
255 XL Engine (48.6 kph)
32 SHS (10+22) (1.3 Heat Efficiency)
480 Standard Armour (15 tonnes):
[ 18 H
[ 80/28 CT/R
[ 54/18 LT&RT/R
[ 55 LA&RA
[ 50 LL&RL
Armaments (Firepower 86):
4 Medium Lasers (LA/RA)
2 LRM10 (LA/RA)
2 SRM6 (LT/RT)
1 TAG (LT)
2 AMS (LT/RT)
Ammunition
2 LRM
2 SRM
1 AMS

So right now this is what I am working with, I have opted to use 2 AMS because I find getting caught in the open without ECM is especially dangerous as a lumbering XL Engine assault. I am using the XL Engine for weight constraints but I also own a STD 250 engine that I have been trying to use. I really want to add some Large Lasers to the left and right torso, while keeping the LRM's and SRM's as they are. I don't know if I can do away with the TAG (probably not) so I would have to drop a medium Laser if I opted to keep it.

Right now my biggest problem is trying to work out if it is worth going to Double Heat Sinks over Singles. I would essentially be doing this to free up tonage that would help me switch to a standard engine and possible get some large lasers for long range direct fire. Here is my understanding, please correct me if I am wrong.

Currently, 32 heat sinks, 10 engine, 22 additional. Engine 12.5 tonnes, 12 critical slots and 22 heat sinks at 1 tonne 1 critical slot each for a total of 34.5 tonnes and 34 critical slots.

The Standard 250 engine weighs 18.5 tonnes, with double heat sinks the 10 engine heat sinks would be equal to 20 single heat sinks (correct?). So it weighs 6 tonnes more but frees up 6 critical slots. If I deduct the 20 from the 32 SHS I was using previously, I would need to make up 12 SHS worth of efficiency from additional DHS at 1.4 efficiency each. I found that 8 DHS would give me 11.2 SHS worth of heat disappation, adding 1 more would grant me more than 12 but I run out of critical slots.

So I end up in this position:

32 SHS with XL engine and current loadout
against.
18 DHS (10+8) with Standard Engine.

By my calculations, the heat efficiency difference should only rate 0.8 lower with DHS than standard but it would free up 14 tonnes of weight (22 - 8) but take up 2 more critical slots (8 x 3 = 24).

I can fit 8 DHS into my mech without an XL engine, 2 in each arm and each torso. I would have to shift ammunition into the center torso and legs to make everything fit though.

So ideally this would work, now the question comes down to this: Is it worth taking the 0.8 heat efficiency hit, to free up 14 tonnes of which 6 will be used on a standard engine leaving me with 8 tonnes left to play with... 8 tonnes is not enough to add 2 Large Lasers, even if you take into account TAG (or a Medium Laser) I would still be 1 tonne short. I think my only option to squeeze that second Large Laser on is dropping 1 AMS and 0.5 tonne of armour, or 1 tonne of armour.

Please correct me if I am wrong at any point, and if you have an idea or feedback to help me solve this problem please feel free to post it.

Edited by Hania, 19 December 2012 - 12:31 PM.

#2 Schrottfrosch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 253 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

No XL-Engine on the Stalker pls! It has BIG sidetorsos that can easily be hit form the front! You dont want to go boom while half your firepower is still there!

#3 MadPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

XL engine is a horrible idea. Stalker is unique in a way that its side torso is actually easier to hit than its center torso.

#4 Alalcomenous

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

Yeah, best to use Standard Engines.

I think the 3F standard loadout is the best for a varied range build, with a few tweaks here and there. You will need to manage your heat wisely as Stalkers have a tendency to overheat

Edited by Alalcomenous, 19 December 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#5 Hania

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

I've done away with the XL engine, upgraded to DHS at the cost of some heat efficiency but I also went back to the stock 3F configuration for weapons. The results are mixed, the heat is still managable as long as I watch myself with the Lasers at brawling distance. Long range heat is not an issue short of chain firing both LRMs and Large Lasers for a good length of time without stoping. I was still able to support double AMS with 1 tonne of AMS ammo. Armour is a little lighter to compensate.

I am contemplating dropping a Medium laser for TAG.

#6 dr bongstorm

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

I was cheap and got the 3f.

2xLL

4xSRM 6

25 heat sinks

max armor

regular 255 engine...think this is the only thing i want to change.

lots of kills, lots of damage. just got to know your role. pick at the enemy with lasers until they commit, then pick your target and blow it up with SRMs. it is all about putting yourself in the right place on the map to capitalize on where the fight is going to be, not where it is now. when someone gets a bit ahead of the line, you be the one waiting powered down behind a ciff to cut off the escape route and get a quick kill.

amazing brawler, great heat management, great damage, and it is a big sponge so it is fine drawing aggro.

edit - wrong thread, meant to put this in the stalker config thread.

Edited by dr bongstorm, 19 December 2012 - 03:29 PM.

#7 TheFuzzyBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 446 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

You can use the XL, just don't use it to brawl.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users