Throttle/mouse Combo

10 replies to this topic

#1 Col Forbin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

So I'd like to use a throttle for my left hand. Preferably one that twists (for turning your mech.) I understand their is only digital control for that at this time. Any ideas if this is possible or gear suggestions?

#2 TheFuzzyBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 446 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

Hello there!

I use the Thrustmasrer T-Flight HOTAS X, which you can get here:

http://www.amazon.co...ds=thrustmaster

I then use a fairly standard Logitech 5 button mouse. I rarely go over 4 of the 5 buttons on the mouse for weapon groupings.

You can find how to set up the Thrustmaster Here:

http://mwomercs.com/...flight-hotas-x/

I used all the standard maps from there on the throttle. You'll find you can seperate the joystick from the throttle by about 18 inches. I just put the joystick behind my monitor. Finally as I don't free look all that often I bound that button as my push to talk button for my voice chat system.

Hopefully this helps, this is the exact reply I used to someone else!
FuzzyBunny

#3 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north of St. Petersburg

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

I use a Saitek X-52 Pro (HOTAS) throttle, with mouse and rudder pedals. That throttle does not have a rocker switch intended for rudder control (useable as leg turning) like the Thrustmaster T-Flight mentioned above. If you can get your hands on a Saitek X-45 HOTAS, that throttle has a rudder rocker built in... plus a 3 position mode switch that would let you program more functions to the available throttle control switches, etc., if you were willing to use the Saitek SST profiling software to take advantage of that. IIRC, you could just connect the throttle up and leave the joystick disconnected.

You are correct... currently leg turning is only digital, but that should be corrected eventually.

I'm not aware of any commercially available throttle controls that actually twist. Alternatively, you could get an ambidextrous joystick (such as the Thrustmaster T16000.M), and modify it. Remove the Y axis spring(s), then you wouldn't have to constantly hold it at the desired throttle position against spring pressure (You would probably want some sort of friction hold fashioned into it as well). You could use the X axis for leg turning, or if it is a twisty stick you could use the stick twist for leg turning. If you use stick twist, and don't want the stick moving left and right on the X axis, fashion a movement restrictor that just lets it move on the Y axis and twist. All sorts of possibilities there.

Edited by CyBerkut, 03 December 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#4 PedroSantosPT

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationPT

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

I have a Saitek joystick.

Still from the old days of mechwarrior 3.

Hope i can still use it .

Im going to connect it now.

#5 Col Forbin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

Thanks for the advice guys.... I didn't even consider rudder pedals for the turning....

#6 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

I defintely want a new option for my left-hand controls

Are any of Saitek's left-hand throttles available seperately? What would be a functional & affordable option? Or should I just get a Nostromo?

Edited by Redshift2k5, 11 December 2012 - 10:16 AM.

#7 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 11 December 2012 - 09:50 AM, said:

I defintely want a new option for my left-hand controls

Are any of Saitek's left-hand throttles available seperately? What would be a functional & affordable option? Or should I just get a Nostromo?

No, Saitek throttles come as part of a HOTAS setup. About the only stand-alone throttle (that is like what a HOTAS would include) that comes to mind is the one that CH Products sells. Unlike the Saitek and Thrustmaster throttles that rotate on the axis, the CH throttle slides forwards and back. Some folks do not like that, so it is worth knowing about. CH Products have an excellent reputation for durability, so you probably wouldn't go wrong with that, but it probably isn't cheap, either.

The Nostromo appears to be a good option, as does the Logitech G19 which is similar.

#8 Col Forbin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

View PostCyBerkut, on 11 December 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

No, Saitek throttles come as part of a HOTAS setup. About the only stand-alone throttle (that is like what a HOTAS would include) that comes to mind is the one that CH Products sells. Unlike the Saitek and Thrustmaster throttles that rotate on the axis, the CH throttle slides forwards and back. Some folks do not like that, so it is worth knowing about. CH Products have an excellent reputation for durability, so you probably wouldn't go wrong with that, but it probably isn't cheap, either.

The Nostromo appears to be a good option, as does the Logitech G19 which is similar.

I assume you are talking about the G13. The logitech has about the most useless thumbstick ever put on an input device ever. Unless you like moving your thumbstick around with the side of your thumb. Just an FYI from a G13 owner.

#9 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

Ah yes, the G13. Thanks for the correction. ;)

I imagine the thumb positioning aspect comes down to user preferences. I'd probably prefer the Nostromo, but I don't think the side-of-thumb use would bother me all that much. Hard to say though, without trying it.

#10 Taranchio

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

As a CH user and buyer :-P ... I think I have to second the X45 suggestion made above unless you plan on getting pedals as well.

Dont get me wrong... I am very very glad I have a full CH setup but I dont think I could have justified the price of Stick Throttle and Pedals simply for a single style of play.

And even though I am experimenting with mouse emulation from my joystick to use and input, the way arm movement is implemented in this game probably makes mouse and throttle + pedals the better input option.

Having a set throttle that is easy to set to where you want is an amazing boost to combat maneuverability and it feels amazingly baddass to move a big lever forward to make you go stomping after the enemy.

#11 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:52 AM

Yeah, it's the tactile feedback of hauling a throttle lever that i'm looking for, without replacing my mouse

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users