Need 2Nd Opinion Before Buying

6 replies to this topic

#1 Jarinolde

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

Hello,

I am looking to purchase and build my very first 'Mech (now that the new economy update has given me the funds to do so). I have a pretty clear idea of what I want, and through a program was able to plan out my purchase, but unlike the single player Mechwarrior games I am unable try take it for a "test drive" so I am looking for a second opinion as to whether it's a decent start.

I will be purchasing a CPLT-K2. Here are the stats of my current build:

Engine: STD 250
Heat: 18 DBL Heat Sinks

Weapons
2x AC2
4x MLAS
1x AMS

4x AC2 Ammo
2x AMS Ammo

Armor: Endo-Steel (.## is rear armor)
HD: 18/18
R&LT: 44.16/60
CT: 60.22/84
R&LA: 40/40
R&LL: 50/60

This is mainly ment to be a short to medium range 'Mech, using the AC2's while closing in to get good shots off with the MLAS. How well do you think this 'Mech would perform in a typical pug match?

#2 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

I'd probably drop one ton of AMS ammo for another DHS (if you ahve the crits) or ton of AC2 ammo. Could be a pretty effective build, but it looks like it will run pretty hot.

I'd definitely run endosteel, but that's structure, not armor. I'd stay away form FerroFibrous armor; looks like you won't have the crits for it, and endo saves more weight.

#3 nungunz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 612 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

Seems a bit slow with a 250, I'd try upping that to a 275 or 300 (go with an XL if you have to).

To save weight, you can also loose one ton of AMS ammo. Maybe strip the leg armor to 20-24 points a piece. Always Endo-Steel over Ferro-Fibrous (saves more weight 100% of the time). You could also see what 3 tons of AC/2 ammo nets you, I don't think you need 4 unless you are going nuts all the time with them.

Overall it's a very sturdy build and 18 doubles gives you great heat dissipation. You could definitely up the speed on that thing with a larger engine (and free up 3 or 6 crit slots depending on if you take a 275 or 300).

#4 ElLocoMarko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

That looks like a fun purchase. Catapults are a good chassis and you could eventually play around with all kinds of fun loadouts. Dual torso ballistics... I wonder what dual AC/20 would be like :D No one seems to do it so probably not good... but fun to do once.

I'm on my forth mech without any premium time bonuses and it was a bit of a slog getting here. I still don't have an XL engine and I realize that if I showed discipline early I could have saved, bought it and then moved it from mech to mech. I recommend that path, but I didn't do it. I don't have an XL... and if you want AC/20 in your torso... XL won't fit.

#5 nungunz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 612 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

View PostElLocoMarko, on 19 December 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

That looks like a fun purchase. Catapults are a good chassis and you could eventually play around with all kinds of fun loadouts. Dual torso ballistics... I wonder what dual AC/20 would be like :D No one seems to do it so probably not good... but fun to do once.

I'll post up my AC/20 build when I get back home. I have fun with it. :ph34r:

#6 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

View PostElLocoMarko, on 19 December 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

I'm on my forth mech without any premium time bonuses and it was a bit of a slog getting here. I still don't have an XL engine and I realize that if I showed discipline early I could have saved, bought it and then moved it from mech to mech. I recommend that path, but I didn't do it. I don't have an XL... and if you want AC/20 in your torso... XL won't fit.

I use dual ac/20 with 2 medium lasers, 250 engine, dual heat sinks, and endo steel structure, it's pretty slow but packs a mean punch

#7 nungunz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 612 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

View PostEcliptor, on 19 December 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

I use dual ac/20 with 2 medium lasers, 250 engine, dual heat sinks, and endo steel structure, it's pretty slow but packs a mean punch

I run similar, but with small instead of mediums....I wanted the extra ammo.

How many tons of ammo do you run and what is your armor at?

Though I may be driving a STD 225, not sure, will have to check at home.

Edited by nungunz, 19 December 2012 - 05:04 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users