• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 347 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego, CA , USA

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:49 AM

Hi guys general questions

im trying to get my girl interested in this game she plays battlefield 3 with me and plays sniper role all the time

I assured her that i could probaly make a sniper varient for a mech and suit her style since she dosnt know if she will be able to get into the game

so im hoping anyone know if there will be systems i can add to the the mech like zoom optics or anything like AWACS
im not worried about weapons im going to give her the highest dammage per range weapons i can find but i guess zooming in is the biggest factor

any info much appriciated just trying to get one more pilot for the game :)

#2 Stormeris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • LocationLithuania

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

Gauss rifles and PPCs are more or less the sniper rifles of Mechwarrior

#3 Skylarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Just get a Mech with long range weapons and be support roll.

#4 Aelos03

• 1,137 posts
  • LocationSerbia

its possible some mech that can put in gauss or ppc i think she would like to play fire support mech thats something like sniper.

#5 Stormeris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • LocationLithuania

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

Zooming will be possible i believe, one of the pilot skills or modules or whatever in the scout tree increases zoom range

#6 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

Get a new girlfriend. If she's not turned on by the cold steel and sex appeal of a Marauder, then she's simply not worth it.

#7 Evex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

I've been working on such a machine myself more for the Lol purposes as you young folk call it now a days. Two pieces of equipment that come to mind is the beagle active probe, and guardian ecm suite. Unfortunately both of these are most likely going to be expensive, and if equipment works anything like in the table top then you'll need 3 tons to install both pieces of equipment. Unfortunately stealth armor isn't in the game other wise I suggest using that for the mechs armor.

#8 Stormeris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • LocationLithuania

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

Scout Role Skills:
  • • Vision Mode 1 - Zoom Vision – Allows the pilot to zoom 7x

from the Role warfare blog

#9 Aelos03

• 1,137 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 21 May 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

Get a new girlfriend. If she's not turned on by the cold steel and sex appeal of a Marauder, then she's simply not worth it.

I bet any girl would like it,it has a big gun after all .

#10 Volthorne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

View Poststormeris, on 21 May 2012 - 10:59 AM, said:

from the Role warfare blog

Those values are for demo purposes only.

#11 Stormeris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • LocationLithuania

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

View PostVolthorne, on 21 May 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

Those values are for demo purposes only.

i know that, i only mentioned it to assure the guy that there will be zooming and stuff

#12 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

Well, the zoom is surely in. As for weapons, gauss riles, followed by low caliber ACs and then PPCs.

Gauss is first because it is fast and does decent damage, ACs are even faster (if she likes those kind of sniper rifles that fire fast, but one shot isn't enough) and PPCs are last, because even though they do massive damage, their travel time is too big to hit anything that moves in very long ranges. :)

#13 Aelos03

• 1,137 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

View PostAdridos, on 21 May 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

Well, the zoom is surely in. As for weapons, gauss riles, followed by low caliber ACs and then PPCs.

Gauss is first because it is fast and does decent damage, ACs are even faster (if she likes those kind of sniper rifles that fire fast, but one shot isn't enough) and PPCs are last, because even though they do massive damage, their travel time is too big to hit anything that moves in very long ranges. :)

I would take ppc over ac ( i can't resist that sound and visuals ) and of course no ammo, and its still awesome on medium range.

#14 Applejack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 523 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:09 AM

There's already a Dragon variant floating around the forums that has a Gauss on it. Should fit nicely.

#15 Joe Mallad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:17 AM

View Postundead1904, on 21 May 2012 - 10:49 AM, said:

Hi guys general questions

im trying to get my girl interested in this game she plays battlefield 3 with me and plays sniper role all the time

I assured her that i could probaly make a sniper varient for a mech and suit her style since she dosnt know if she will be able to get into the game

so im hoping anyone know if there will be systems i can add to the the mech like zoom optics or anything like AWACS
im not worried about weapons im going to give her the highest dammage per range weapons i can find but i guess zooming in is the biggest factor

any info much appriciated just trying to get one more pilot for the game :)
I first want to say its great that you are trying to get your girl to play with you and that she does in fact get into games with you. Thumbs up here. As far as her playing a Sniper type. I personally would suggest that she either play as a Scout class with SPEED so she can get away fast or to a location fast, post up and then hit the enemy with her Sniper or long ranged abilities. OR is she wants to play a soldier class, she can still get into the thick of things when needed but than make sure she equips modules that allow her to use the Scout's Zoom ability as it can zoom in 7X normal zoom. Here are the Sniper abilities she can get as of right now.

Scout Role Skills:
  • • Radar Range Increase – Increases radar range by 2% up to 5 times
  • • Ghost Signature – Increases length of time before a signal fades by 2% up to 3 times
  • • Vision Mode 1 - Zoom Vision – Allows the pilot to zoom 7x
  • • HUD Detail 1 – Enemy Damage Level – LOD detail in terms of damage
  • • HUD Detail 2 – Enemy Component State – Overall component criticality
  • • Null Signature System – Allows the pilot to appear shut down for 5 seconds
  • • Multi-Targeting – Allows the pilot to target multiple enemies up to 4 at a time.
  • • IDF Accuracy – Narrows the AOE of IDF fire.
  • • Critical Shot Indicator – Shares with nearby friendly BattleMechs the critical components of an enemy BattleMech

#16 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

Sniper means, sneaky, long range, and mech's can do that. ECM, maybe BAP (long range sensors), and a 'mech that's reasonably fast so Light or Medium, or whatever works. Gauss Rifle, PPC, or LRM's. LRM's seem to have indirect fire and a more accurate direct fire.

#17 Morashtak

• Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

Get her an Atlas. Big and slow. Will give her plenty of time to think through her shots.

Then when she is screaming "Get them off me! Get them off!" as Jenners and Cicadas are swarming all over her you can ride valiantly to her rescue and be her lil' ol' hero. /bwaaaa /sniff

#18 Corpsecandle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

The Dev's have indeed said there will be a zoom feature they're just not sure how they're going to implement it yet, all we know is they didn't like how it was implemented in some of the previous versions.

However there's some other things you may need to take into consideration....

Why does your girlfriend like sniping? Is she in it for the head shots? Is she in it for the Solo aspect? What does she consider snipping?

Remember this game has a lot of restrictions that other FPS' don't have. Headshots are going to be rare, a single shot isn't likely to take most mechs into the red on armor, and your "snipper rifles" are not likely to be able to shoot as far as you can see without significant performance reductions. (Of course this is what we've been lead to believe, actual results may vary)

As an aside, there's another option that could be considered sniping...or more artillary; load her up in a Catapult and play as her spotter.

#19 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

OP, for more on weapons' damage and ranges please see

http://mwomercs.com/...ns-infographic/

#20 Codius Dakanius

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationTornado Alley

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

i believe the centurion will be the best sniper platform of the starting 'mechs present.

i plan at first mounting an AC 5 with 2 tons ammo, keep the Med Lasers, change out the LRM with 2 SRM 4's and 2 tons Ammo.
later a gauss rifle with 2 tons of ammo while stripping out the SRM's and if i have room add in another Med Laser.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users