• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 347 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego, CA , USA

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 21 May 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

Light can only propagate forever in a pure vacuum. firing it in an atmosphere causes the air to scatter it, until it's lost so much cohesion it's only a little bit of harmless illumination. Shine a laser pointer at a wall, then shine it across the street.

SCIENCE DANM YOU!!!!!

Ok well i can see the lasers having long range but loss of dammage at range

View PostAelos03, on 21 May 2012 - 01:22 PM, said:

when game goes beta visit this thread again and tell us :)

Will do

#62 Fetladral

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 525 posts
  • LocationAsgard

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

I don't see why there wouldn't be a zoom function. MW3 and 4 had one I don't remember exactly but I think 2 Mercs had it as well.

#63 Woodstock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:46 PM

I would suggest:

Raven with:

Mass: 35 tons
Chassis: Endo Steel
Power Plant: Magna 245 XL
Cruising Speed: 75.6 km/h
Maximum Speed: 118.8 km/h
Jump Jets: One
Jump Capacity: 30 meters

10 x Double Heat Sinks
6.5 tons of Ferro-Fibrous Armour giving:

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head: 3 9
Center Torso: 11 14
Center Torso (Rear): 5
R/L Torso: 8 12
R/L Torso (Rear): 4
R/L Arm: 6 12
R/L Leg: 8 12

Weaponry

1 x ER PPC
2 x small laser

ECM Suite
C3 Master

She could fire as much as she liked and not over heat. If she wanted to she is fast and heavily armed for close in work.

The single Jump jet would allow her to jump snipe and also allow her to retreat over cliffs if needed.

Her ECM would reduce return fire and she could use the C3 comp to call down airstrikes.

All from a sexy little Raven.

#64 JazzySteel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 304 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationthe crater that used to be Black Mesa, dipping the last Oreo into the last glass of milk.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:46 PM

Im not sure if it has the crit slots for it. But you could probrobly rip the medlas' and a bit of armor out of a Jenner and latch on a few PPCs. Reduced survivability, but you have a hard hit, a good range, excellent speed, scout zoom, and jumpjets.

Just a thought.

#65 Sheilei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationOn a mountain shelf in the middle of freakin' nowhere.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

There is one thing that a few may have forgotten when they mention the C3 units. It's invented and introduced by the Draconis Combine in 3050.
And since we will start the game in 3049 it will not be available for a while.

Edited by Sheilei, 21 May 2012 - 01:52 PM.

#66 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

i think a light mech carrying a UAC5 would make the best sniper. its got the range and does enough damage to take out the pilot. besides lights are a smaller machine, can use camo, have BAP activated and be zoomed in. you just need to be nearby to provide covering fire.

#67 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

Oh yeah, with a max range in MWO of about 750m, I am sure there is going to be a lot of sniping going on.

Not!

Snipers in video games are chickens. At least be a BA with a magshot or a manpack PPC with a range of 650m. Oh wait, no BA in MWO, bummer

#68 JP Josh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • Locationsteam- jp josh

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

View Postundead1904, on 21 May 2012 - 10:49 AM, said:

Hi guys general questions

im trying to get my girl interested in this game she plays battlefield 3 with me and plays sniper role all the time

I assured her that i could probaly make a sniper varient for a mech and suit her style since she dosnt know if she will be able to get into the game

so im hoping anyone know if there will be systems i can add to the the mech like zoom optics or anything like AWACS
im not worried about weapons im going to give her the highest dammage per range weapons i can find but i guess zooming in is the biggest factor

any info much appriciated just trying to get one more pilot for the game :)

you two sound like my brother and i he prefers support i however like to brawl.

im lookin forward to droping with you two!!

#69 Blaze32

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 428 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:48 PM

View Poststormeris, on 21 May 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

Zooming will be possible i believe, one of the pilot skills or modules or whatever in the scout tree increases zoom range

how do you know this are the trees posted somewhere? if so where

Edited by Blaze32, 21 May 2012 - 02:49 PM.

#70 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

View Postundead1904, on 21 May 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

you know your right on the Differnce between marksman and sniper and i actully think thats what shes been doing on battlefield lattly she ahs been running around using a riffle with an acog sight and a semi auto verion not one with the pull back reload

all and all im thinking 3 factors for her

SPEED
ZOOM
CANNON

If she wants speed and long range punch, don't forget about these two:
CDA-3C Cicada
DRG-1G Grand Dragon
Both have a nice direct-fire punch from the PPC, while still keeping up above-average speed for their weight class. Not as much punch at the Catapult, but much more mobile.

#71 Skylarr

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

I would suggest a Panther. It will be in the game and has a PPC. It jumps. maybe she can hone he jumping sniper fire skills.

#72 Akaryu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

get her a medium mech or a light mech with alot of carrying capacity and give it an er ppc or a gauss rifle depending on if she likes the idea of energy weapons or ballistic weapons.

#73 ivan the ghost

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

you may also want to look at the starslayer sty-3d loadout . http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Starslayer

#74 Goldhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 379 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

View PostYoseful Mallad, on 21 May 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

I first want to say its great that you are trying to get your girl to play with you and that she does in fact get into games with you. Thumbs up here. As far as her playing a Sniper type. I personally would suggest that she either play as a Scout class with SPEED so she can get away fast or to a location fast, post up and then hit the enemy with her Sniper or long ranged abilities. OR is she wants to play a soldier class, she can still get into the thick of things when needed but than make sure she equips modules that allow her to use the Scout's Zoom ability as it can zoom in 7X normal zoom. Here are the Sniper abilities she can get as of right now.

Scout Role Skills:
  • • Radar Range Increase – Increases radar range by 2% up to 5 times
  • • Ghost Signature – Increases length of time before a signal fades by 2% up to 3 times
  • • Vision Mode 1 - Zoom Vision – Allows the pilot to zoom 7x
  • • HUD Detail 1 – Enemy Damage Level – LOD detail in terms of damage
  • • HUD Detail 2 – Enemy Component State – Overall component criticality
  • • Null Signature System – Allows the pilot to appear shut down for 5 seconds
  • • Multi-Targeting – Allows the pilot to target multiple enemies up to 4 at a time.
  • • IDF Accuracy – Narrows the AOE of IDF fire.
  • • Critical Shot Indicator – Shares with nearby friendly BattleMechs the critical components of an enemy BattleMech

Well, if she can make due with a few "tech years", the Hollander is an excellent choice.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hollander
It was made as a Sniper mech. And if it benefits from all of the bonuses, its going to be evil.

#75 Blaze32

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 428 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

View PostGoldhawk, on 21 May 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

I first want to say its great that you are trying to get your girl to play with you and that she does in fact get into games with you. Thumbs up here. As far as her playing a Sniper type. I personally would suggest that she either play as a Scout class with SPEED so she can get away fast or to a location fast, post up and then hit the enemy with her Sniper or long ranged abilities. OR is she wants to play a soldier class, she can still get into the thick of things when needed but than make sure she equips modules that allow her to use the Scout's Zoom ability as it can zoom in 7X normal zoom. Here are the Sniper abilities she can get as of right now.

Scout Role Skills:
  • • Radar Range Increase – Increases radar range by 2% up to 5 times
  • • Ghost Signature – Increases length of time before a signal fades by 2% up to 3 times
  • • Vision Mode 1 - Zoom Vision – Allows the pilot to zoom 7x
  • • HUD Detail 1 – Enemy Damage Level – LOD detail in terms of damage
  • • HUD Detail 2 – Enemy Component State – Overall component criticality
  • • Null Signature System – Allows the pilot to appear shut down for 5 seconds
  • • Multi-Targeting – Allows the pilot to target multiple enemies up to 4 at a time.
  • • IDF Accuracy – Narrows the AOE of IDF fire.
  • • Critical Shot Indicator – Shares with nearby friendly BattleMechs the critical components of an enemy BattleMech

where did you find this information?

Edited by Blaze32, 21 May 2012 - 05:11 PM.

#76 Morashtak

• Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:24 PM

View PostBlaze32, on 21 May 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

where did you find this information?

Dev Blog 4. It's really cool, dude. You should check it out.

Edited by Morashtak, 21 May 2012 - 05:25 PM.

#77 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

Guys... lets not have him look up Mech and models of Mech that we do not even have confirmation are in the game yet. Hes trying to find a good mech that will suit his girls play style as a faster Sniper type mech. Lets keep to the confirmed mech we have at the moment for his and his girl's sake. He's trying to get her to join in on ALL THE FUN we ALL are going to have and I highly appreciate it when a man can get his significant other in on games such as this. WE DO NOT WANT TO SCARE HER away for him before the game is even out lol.

#78 Juiced

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 237 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:16 PM

the cata has a varient that mounts two PPCs a decently fast mech with jump jets.

#79 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:55 AM

Something that doesn't seem to have come up yet in this thread is the issue of convergence and, more importantly, differential tracking.

The BattleMech's weapons array will non-instantaneously adjust its focal point based on the distance to the object under the reticle; as the target approaches or recedes relative to the shooter, the weapons will take time to adjust to the new distance-to-target.
Additionally, the arm-mounted weapons will track a target significantly more quickly than those mounted in the torso.

By order of effective range for 3049 (game start) Inner Sphere direct-fire weapons (for range greater than 500 meters):
AC-2: 720 meters (~2362.20 feet)
ER-PPC: 690 meters (~2263.78 feet)
Gauss Rifle: 660 meters (~2165.35 feet)
Ultra AC-5: 600 meters (~1640.42 feet)
ER Large Laser: 570 meters (~1870.08 feet)
PPC: 540 meters (~1711.65 feet)
LB 10-X AC: 540 meters (~1711.65 feet)
AC-5: 540 meters (~1711.65 feet)

For the record, LRMs would have an effective range of 630 meters (~2066.93 feet).

Assuming the standard (TT/Canon) armor values are used, most 'Mechs will carry 9 units of armor on their head, as well as having 3 units of internal structure there, meaning it could take up to 12 points of damage to completely decapitate a 'Mech.

So any sniper/marksman (especially one who styles oneself as a long-range crack-shot) would seek a 'Mech that has ample space for long-range direct-fire weapons in either or both arms or either or both side-torso sections.

As far as other equipment:
A Beagle Active Probe would/should improve sensor performance.
A Guardian Electronic Counter-Measures suite would/should degrade targets' sensor performance.
Certain modules (low-light vision, thermographic vision, enhanced magnification, etc) would/should improve visual target acquisition.

-----

My personal favorite would be:

Centurion CN9-AL Custom

cruising speed: 54 kph
maximum speed: 85 kph
jump capacity: 60 meters

standard 250 fusion engine
endo-steel internal structure
full ferro-fibrous armor

ER-PPC (x1, RA)
medium pulse laser (x2, CT)
SRM-6 (x1, LT; 1 ton ammo)

BAP (x1, RT)
GECM (x1, RT)
CASE (x1, LT)

Modules: low-light, thermal imaging, enhanced zoom

IMO, the arm-mounted ER-PPC and vision modules and BAP gives good sniping capability, and the combination of MPL and SRM gives it good close-range capability should a target attempt to close the distance. High speed and jump jets provide the mobility to (generally) control the distance, and full armor with CASE and GECM (and the limited stealth it affords) gives it a high level of survivability.

Your thoughts?

#80 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:37 AM

Looks like a nice setup, although a Dragon with a similar setup might also be very interesting. (obviously debating similar Mediums vs similar Heavies is a whole other issue). You may not have the option of including Jump Jets on your Centurion though, no variants in this part of the timeline have JJs as stock.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users