Ac2 Or Ac5?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Jeviati

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSitting on my dead mech

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:22 AM

So I am rebuilding my stripped Raven RVN-4X chassis from the ground up. Currently it has no engine, weapons, or anything other than JJs and a FF armor upgrade. I am trying to decide if I want to use an AC2 or an AC5 as I intend to kit out the weapons first and then see what I have for space with an XL engine. I am not afraid to strip some armor as long as I am aiming for top speed.

All that being said, anyone have a personal preference? AC2, AC5 or UAC5? Engine? I figure I will most likely go for the top end engine I can fit into it just to take what speed I can. Of course ES, though I intend to skip on DHS as this is just a grinder for EXP as I save my GXP for modules.

Any suggestions on kit, as well as how to most effectively use an AC would be great. I have used the trial Centurion with the LB 10-X AC, but I figure a solid slug is a little different in use than buck shot.

#2 PanicFire

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:37 AM

Probably an AC5. Not sure how much space a raven has so....

#3 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:47 AM

I think you may have crit space issues with the AC5 or the UAC 5, if you're planning to run Endo and FF. Without DHS, you may have heat issues with the AC2. Also, the limited amount of ammo you can boat would limit the effectiveness of a ballistics weapon. I'd say, buy one of each, see what fits, and try each one. The AC2 would give you some serious range; the AC5 would give you some nice punch. I definitely wouldn't recomment a UAC5, since the jamming would take away basically all of your punch and the added weight, heat, and crits just don't make sense on such a small mech.

#4 nungunz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 612 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:58 AM

Step 1: Get rid of Ferro-Fibrous and get Endo-Steel. Endo-Steel saves you more weight 100% of the time for any mech no matter what. Only take Ferro if you already have endo and can spare the crit slots.

I'd probably lean towards a AC/2 or UAC/5. The jamming may be an issue, but since your going to be doing hit-and-run anyway, being able to quickly dakka out 2-5 shots before jamming vs. 2-3 isn't bad for the 1 extra ton. AC/2 for more reliability and pure rate of fire (plus saves you several tons).

You'd probably want to go with something like:

AC/2 with 2 tons ammo (you probably won't need 3 tons)
UAC/5 with 3 tons ammo (might need 4, but I doubt it)

After that probably load up on medium lasers and streak or SRM4 (1 ton of ammo, maybe two).

No idea what engine size that would limit you to, but I guess with both Endo and Ferro you could pull it off provided you have the crit space.

#5 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:09 AM

For Raven 4X I would recommend you avoid AC in the first place. Way too heavy. Why not single ERPPC?

#6 nungunz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 612 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

UAC/5 Build

XL 225
10 Double Heat Sinks
Endo-Steel
x1 SRM4 + 1 ton ammo
x2 Medium Lasers
x1 UAC/5 + 2 tons ammo

If you can cram Ferro-Fibrous on there (or just lower the armor), you could probably fit more. You will have heat trouble, though.

How close am I on guessing the weight?

Not the best build, but it's silly and you can still cruise at 104 kph. A regular AC/5 or an AC/2 might work better.

Edited by nungunz, 20 December 2012 - 07:18 AM.

#7 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

Depends on what you want it for. If you want to be a hit and run striker, the U-AC/5 has higher DPS and added burst potential. If you want to be a scout, the AC/2 has longer range and the lighter weight will allow you to carry better lasers or engine.

I tend to stay away from the AC/5 unless you just don't have room for the ultra.

Edited by Gigastrike, 20 December 2012 - 10:49 AM.

#8 Jeviati

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

I tend to be a Chase/Harass in my 3L, spending a lot of time juking, dodging and generally running wild through the brawls while looking for someone that tries to run away. So I think the AC5 or the UAC5 might fall a bit more in line with my preference. Long range sniping and long range support have just not really been my "thing." That is why I would shy away from a PPC.

I will tinker with that build you posted Nungunz and post it when I have something that works. I am currently saving up cbills to do the build and see what I have for weight after to decide my engine.

#9 Jeviati

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

View Postnungunz, on 20 December 2012 - 07:17 AM, said:

UAC/5 Build

XL 225
10 Double Heat Sinks
Endo-Steel
x1 SRM4 + 1 ton ammo
x2 Medium Lasers
x1 UAC/5 + 2 tons ammo

If you can cram Ferro-Fibrous on there (or just lower the armor), you could probably fit more. You will have heat trouble, though.

How close am I on guessing the weight?

Not the best build, but it's silly and you can still cruise at 104 kph. A regular AC/5 or an AC/2 might work better.

Looking at the Mechlab right now, with a AC5 in the RA, two tons of ammo for it, two MLas in the left arm and a SSRM2 in the RT with no HS yet and 232 armor, I am sitting at 26 tons. So it looks like I am around a 220 XL engine or 180 STD engine. This is with all five JJ, so I could lose one to save a ton, or dump more armor, though that is not a great idea due to the fact that this girl will be trying to be near the middle/edge of the brawl.

#10 nungunz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 612 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

If at all possible try to stay in units of 25 on the engine. You get a number of heatsinks in the engine equal to engine_size/25 up to 10. Over ten and you start gaining extra engine slots so you save crit space.

IE, a 225 engine will also give you 9 heatsinks where the 220 will only give you 8.

An 350 would give you 10 heatsinks with 4 slots that you can drop extra heatsinks in that won't take up crit space.

JJ right now don't function the best and you need a lot of them to be effective. I'd honestly strip all of them out of the machine...maybe keep one to soften hard landings.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users