#1 torgian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 283 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

CTF-1X

This bad boy has an XL340 engine! Two large lasers, two medium lasers, and an ac10 with a ton of ammo round out this beast's loadout. If you want a fast heavy mech with good damage output, this mech is a contender. Able to soften up targets at range, this beast can tangle with the big boys and penetrate that rear armor with your superior mobility when things get close. Ample double heat sinks ensure that you will run cool, and your speed allows you to find cover to cool down in case things do get a little warm.

Worried about survivability? What, did you mommy tell you to it's okay to be slow like the Stalker she saw last night? Keep that speed up and dance around that battlefield like your sister did in ballet class.

#2 Pkunk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

You do realise that all Cataphracts except the 4X can carry a 340?

#3 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

Speed is armor! (so is armor...)

#4 elde

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:03 AM

Ctf is so heavy, that it doesn't really benefit from XL340 that much. You'll go 71.3kph with a standard 280 engine, leaving your huge side torsos empty - you'll live longer. Speed is great, but you'll need to go much faster than 80kph to really benefit from it - try the Raven 2X trial mech, which has a max speed of 97kph - you'll soak up the dmg there anyway.

I really don't like XL engines in Cataphracts. Catapults, they're a whole different thing.

#5 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:19 AM

I'd rather drop BAP and some armor to achieve 2 more tons of ammo for the ac 10:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b33d84118d11785

However I never run CTFs with any engine above xl 325, there's nothing useful in an xl 340, no 4th DHS slot within the engine, and the extra speed added is not going to make you look like a Dragon in any way.. The latter is even tougher when mounting xls.

I'd avoid full frontal brawls with the above anyway, and add a gauss trying to staying at mid range:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...81c03aa5b2b17ef

But still, I'd prefer running 1X with the AC 20 and a std 280, I guess I'll have to buy one back.

#6 Gandalfrockman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:31 AM

1.EVERY Cataphract can mount a 340, but why bother the sweet spot sees to be about an xl300.
2.Why are you using the CTF-1X? A CTF-3D seems like a much better fit, and gives you the added option of jumpjets.
3.You should be carrying more than one ton of ammo for your AC10.
4. this cant 'tangle' with anything bigger than a centurion/hunchback without some serious risk of getting itself melted to pieces. If you want to take down mechs larger than your own, you need to look at things like UAC5's, AC20's, SRM6's or ERPPC's. Weapons that can rapidly deliver large amounts of damage in a short amount of time precisely where you need it, and/or disrupt your target. You do NOT want sustained fire weapons that leave you vulnerable to counter attack from superior fire while you engage.
5. This isnt taking advantage of any of the real strengths of the CTF Line, if this is what you want just run a 4LL Flame and be done with it.

Edited by Gandalfrockman, 15 January 2013 - 05:35 AM.

#7 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

1.EVERY Cataphract can mount a 340

Although what you say after this is entirely correct, it's hard to take serious with line 1 being demonstrably false, and this engine limitation is commonly viewed as to what makes the 4X such a finicky beast. Again, I do concur with the rest of it though...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users