Why Mech Warrior Online Is Unfair

250 replies to this topic

#41 SlXSlXSlX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:07 AM

4 ecm ravens for 2 mins... i was over heating after a few lasers from my stalker. Wanted to leg them but as a 4 man they weaved thru us it was a mess. The heavies showed up, by then we were hurt and i was floating at 98% heat. I landed no alphas.. that was my cumulative effort trying to leg ecm ravens in a stock mech on caustic.

#42 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

So, wait. What you want is to be stuck in a room with other new players, fighting new players, using nothing but new player mechs, until an unspecified time in which you are let out into the world to fight experienced players who are using advanced tactics in customized mechs to completely ruin your not-so-new user experience? Do you want a tutorial? We do not have a tutorial yet. We will. The devs said they want to add one. Everyone agrees we need one. But otherwise?

You are going to get messed up one way or another. As soon as you accept it as a learning experience and stop fighting it, the better it, and you, will become. The ONLY exploit right now are the 8 man synch drops, and those are not reliable to pull off anyways. Everything else is playing the game. Except for your first 25 games, you get a MASSIVE cash injection.

Where is your issue with it, exactly?

Addendum:

Personal accountability for failure needs to exist from time to time. I am not necessarily accusing you of being incapable of it, but if you are new, you will probably suck. So learn. How do you learn? Stop. Blaming. Others. Learn from them.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 28 December 2012 - 01:10 AM.

#43 Taemien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

View PostSlXSlXSlX, on 27 December 2012 - 10:48 PM, said:

This.

Posted Image

Consistently, as a new player in a trial mech. Other team is filled with founders who helped are running ravens using ecm. 4 packing up.

This is why new players hate mwo and go play planetside 2 or world of tanks or hawken. Your solo play in game experience sucks.

Highest damage is 572 and highest exp is 853, thats not a premade. I pull better numbers than that solo when I win. Sometimes better when I lose (did 1200 damage on a loss with a Stalker). But then again I've been playing MechWarrior since '96.

When I first played MechWarrior in an online environment back in High School, I got trounced. But I stuck with it. In the mid 90s, we didn't complain to a developer about balance or match making (they did not have online forums in those days, perhaps there is a lesson to be learned there). We stuck it out and got better. Proved ourselves to the units running around and then got picked up for competitive league play.

You players that make these sort of complaints are simply not competitive players. There is nothing wrong with that. But asking to have a head to head online multiplayer game such as this to be changed to suit you is ridiculous. Please look to Steam and select a game that has the Coop or Single player tab and play one of those games. MWO isn't for you if you can't take your Baptism by Fire.

#44 hammerreborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:11 AM

View PostTaemien, on 28 December 2012 - 01:07 AM, said:

Highest damage is 572 and highest exp is 853, thats not a premade. I pull better numbers than that solo when I win. Sometimes better when I lose (did 1200 damage on a loss with a Stalker). But then again I've been playing MechWarrior since '96.

When I first played MechWarrior in an online environment back in High School, I got trounced. But I stuck with it. In the mid 90s, we didn't complain to a developer about balance or match making (they did not have online forums in those days, perhaps there is a lesson to be learned there). We stuck it out and got better. Proved ourselves to the units running around and then got picked up for competitive league play.

You players that make these sort of complaints are simply not competitive players. There is nothing wrong with that. But asking to have a head to head online multiplayer game such as this to be changed to suit you is ridiculous. Please look to Steam and select a game that has the Coop or Single player tab and play one of those games. MWO isn't for you if you can't take your Baptism by Fire.

Seeing the premade already outted themselves in the thread... >.>

If you can kill people quick it's not hard to do low damage matches. When 3 of my ranger buddies and I decided to run all PPC mechs the damage totals end up pretty low as you need to aim for the core, and theres very little wasted damage that comes with most weapons.

Edited by hammerreborn, 28 December 2012 - 01:12 AM.

#45 Khan Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 245 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, U.S

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:12 AM

All I can say to that Six, is "I apologize for the actions of those few that can't comprehend that they are hurting the game in taking advantage of these things." But we're not all that way. Many of those that have been around a while are dropping alone right next to you. I've extended the invite in this thread to unite. Send me a friend invite in game, hit me up on here, whatever, I'll assist. I too am kinda tired of playing alone. Out of lack of socializing, not because I'm tired of "being stomped". They've tried to make the game more friendly for new players, and they will continue to do so. But I doubt that they will risk the type of play that they are looking for to straighten the learning curve. And they shouldn't. They'll figure out how to separate the new players from the veteran (ELO maybe) and we'll all be grouped into the proper skill levels. Patience. I'm willing to jump into a trial, or start a new account, but I'd much rather use the equipment that I've earned to assist those that don't have much yet. And I stress YET. Especially if you roll with me.

#46 Khan Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 245 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, U.S

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:16 AM

View PostIronEagle, on 28 December 2012 - 01:08 AM, said:

What skill is needed to hit a gigant robot if you show up in front of him using ECM ???
ECM is the real noob device for people who can't aim from distance. It was introduced
to stop LRM spam but it is used ' to close quarters ' under the bubble.

There are tons of weapons that don't utilize lock on for close range combat, and one that does. Perhaps you are relying on the wrong weaponry for close quarter combat.

#47 JP Josh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • Locationsteam- jp josh

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:17 AM

View PostBerryChunks, on 27 December 2012 - 11:52 PM, said:

you just don't get it. play completely new for one day. Just one. Lets see how many kills you manage with trial mechs against ECM spam and FF armor endo steel XL mechs with mass LRM 20s...

did that

put youngest brother in trial stalker first round he got two kills.

#48 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:17 AM

View PostIronEagle, on 28 December 2012 - 01:08 AM, said:

What skill is needed to hit a gigant robot if you show up in front of him using ECM ???
ECM is the real noob device for people who can't aim from distance. It was introduced
to stop LRM spam but it is used ' to close quarters ' under the bubble.

Both of you are right, IMO. The ECM hit to LRM boats may have been excessive, as all anyone needed to do to counter them was, Iunnuh, STAND BEHIND A HILL. However, the prevalence of LRM boats was pretty damned excessive before. To the point where myself and a few others I know now make it a point to assassinate LRM boats with possibly suicidal tactics that work out of shear audacity more times then not. XD

On the other hand, there is zero skill in mashing 6 SRM6 into someone's face or plugging two AC20's into a dude 50 meters away.

ECM just took the guided munitions and reduced their effectiveness - though not by a ton it seems, seeing all the LRM100 launchers (ya know, Stalkers!) that like to try and sing me the song of their people. Skill comes in lining up shots with travel time like Gauss or PPC (pre-speed buff, now it is a joke to hit someone) and consistently hitting a single part on an enemy mech.

#49 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 27 December 2012 - 10:51 PM, said:

ELO Matching will be in eventually

soon ™ isnt a rallying cry here. Its kinda "now or we play something else" it seems

hey pariah...

"Its far easier in this game to qq here to the devs to get weapons broken than it is to learn to counter them in game."

see, learning to counter them or "learning to play" requires that thing called

:effort:

Which noone wants to have to use when they can just come here.
PGI goes to pieces so fast in the face of forum QQ people get killed by the shrapnel

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 28 December 2012 - 01:25 AM.

#50 Suki

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:22 AM

View PostSlXSlXSlX, on 28 December 2012 - 01:00 AM, said:

Your talking about whether there is a statistical chance to do well as new, or how long it takes to get a first mech. All of which has little to do with teh fact that the new player experience is bad, and its due to exploitation of the current mechanics, drivse new players away and stagnates growth. To me its very sad that its the same people who invested in this originally who by an large, are responsible.

QQ kachoo

So You're talking that people playing from the start of CBT are responsible for badnewplayer exp? :)
What do we have to do, stop playing?

#51 GrabbleRus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 168 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:25 AM

Got up to 800 damage and 5 kills running solo in a trial mech when i was only starting. Certainly trial mechs are not very good. But 29 damage is your problem and not the mech's or the game's fault. And please - don't bring PS2 or Hawken here. It's even worse in PS2 for new players. As for Hawken... no comment. It's a total misfire )

#52 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:27 AM

HA siggged myself

#53 SlXSlXSlX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:28 AM

I need more fan boy "QQ go play something else, get skill, your a pug" comments to fill my quota.

My point is, this is why new players hate mech warrior.

#54 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:29 AM

View PostSlXSlXSlX, on 28 December 2012 - 01:28 AM, said:

I need more fan boy "QQ go play something else, get skill, your a pug" comments to fill my quota.

My point is, this is why new players hate mech warrior.

I like my answer more. It has history behind it and is less angst filled

#55 Suki

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:32 AM

View PostGalaxyBluestar, on 28 December 2012 - 01:03 AM, said:

well i know a trial cataphact on caustic valley can't fire 4 med lasers at once cause it heats up to 60% and takes ages to cool down by which time you're g*ngb*nged to death cause you can't retaliate without overheating. hmmm trial mechs are as bad as i've played them? alpha strike with 4 med lasers shouldn't send a mech so close to overheat and even then you're not getting out of it cause the heat dispertion on it is soooo bad. play that against customized mechs that can send 3-5 times more power into you without the heat worries thanks to better weapon combo's {that's not so bad that's what part of mechwarrior is about, customizing} plus more heatsinks plus cooling perks used by experienced pilots and or game mechanic exploitors. i'd really hate to be a newbie player at the moment. no wonder they inroduced the cadet bonus it was to get newbies away from all the broken gear that is stock equipment!

You don't get it, or really don't want to. NEW UNEXPERINCED player can get NONTRIAL mech in 1-2 evenings even loosing every battle. As I see the situation happens as I predicted:
1. People whined about bad trial mechs and that they had to relly grind for days-weeks to get a normal one. Me and many others said that it will not help to get them "free starter money", they need no money, they need real gameplay experience.
2. What do I see now? New players GOT starter money, and whining continues.
Stop whining on forums, get your hands out of ***** and start playing already.

#56 GrabbleRus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 168 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:32 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 28 December 2012 - 01:17 AM, said:

On the other hand, there is zero skill in mashing 6 SRM6 into someone's face or plugging two AC20's into a dude 50 meters away.

Yea, what takes skill is to get close and stay alive while you're in front of enemy's face or 50m away... And try to shoot some jenner with AC20 or SRMs running 150kmp around you. It takes no skill, right?

Please don't speak about things you don't understand. it's called balance. You have to pay for firepower with big weaknesses. Yet you only can see what you want to.

#57 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:33 AM

Plus, you do not give concrete reasons why. Be constructive with your criticism. You have an issue? You are the one with the problem, not us. Suggest solutions YOU would like to see instead of just saying something like "I did 3 damage and my team went **** up. This game sucks!"

Surely you have ideas floating in your head. Ideas that do not involve instituting an ELO to autobalance players of similar skill or including a tutorial, because the devs are working on that, and matchmaking phase 3 is around the corner.

Sure, it is EASY to complain, but come up with a solution to your complaints or all you are is pointless noise.

View PostGrabbleRus, on 28 December 2012 - 01:32 AM, said:

Yea, what takes skill is to get close and stay alive while you're in front of enemy's face or 50m away... And try to shoot some jenner with AC20 or SRMs running 150kmp around you. It takes no skill, right?

Please don't speak about things you don't understand. it's called balance. You have to pay for firepower with big weaknesses. Yet you only can see what you want to.

Right. Because I never tried out a splatcat for the lolz and incinerated a light in a single hit. Oh, wait, perhaps I did. Ok, so, like, I never waddled my slow mech across the map without getting shot at because I actually used cov- oh, wait, I do that all the time since my primary mech actually moves SLOWER then an Atlas WITHOUT ECM!

When was the last time you intentionally popped a cockpit at 600 meters out? Or hit speeding lights with twin arm mounted gauss rifles at 100 meters? Whole different level of skill there, buddy. But, surely, I know nothing about that.

Perhaps you do not believe me. I have a youtube channel full of footage I can easily use to back me up. Do not make ridiculous, baseless accusations here, buddy.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 28 December 2012 - 01:43 AM.

#58 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:33 AM

View PostSuki, on 28 December 2012 - 01:32 AM, said:

Stop whining on forums, get your hands out of ***** and start playing already.

see sig as to why that wont happen

#59 TruePoindexter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:35 AM

View PostSlXSlXSlX, on 27 December 2012 - 10:48 PM, said:

This.

Posted Image

Consistently, as a new player in a trial mech. Other team is filled with founders who helped are running ravens using ecm. 4 packing up.

This is why new players hate mwo and go play planetside 2 or world of tanks or hawken. Your solo play in game experience sucks.

If you seriously think that Planetside 2, World of Tanks, or Hawken are any better in protecting novice undergeared players against experienced/equipped players you are very very mistaken.

Further this has nothing to do with Ravens or ECM - it has everything to do with experienced players being matched against novices. This issue has existed since the days of Quake. ELO match making will help alleviate the problem.

#60 themoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 589 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:46 AM

Solo playing Planetside 2 sucks more than solo MWO anyway >.>

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users