So, Pgi, What's Your Policy On Justified Refunds?

29 replies to this topic

#1 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

I was thinking; thankfully I did not spend money, but instead lots of time and effort in getting my Cataphracts and eliting them out.

Down the line, PGI put the restriction on their arm movements, in effect changing the Mech significantly in the process. It lost a lot of its value due to what many might see as a flaw in the design.

Kinda like buying a car, putting it through scheduled maintenance, and then being told "You don't have 3rd gear anymore".

I'm sure some people actually spent MONEY/MC on the Cataphract. And though I'm one to understand that the nature of this game changes with updates, this stands out as one of the biggest "oops" on PGI's side, and I was wondering if in the event they do something similar to a Mech after the fact, would it entitle players to a refund?

As for me, I'm still using my Phracts (irked each and every time they can't duel worth a damn, lol; trying to make the best out of a bad situation) but that's just going to be for the time-being since I plan on dumping them for the Orion in the event it's arms have full range movement.

#2 Wizard Steve

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

You want a refund on your time?

#3 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

I... um... wait what?! "Game gets a patch, a thing changes... refund my time please?" That makes even less sense than a monetary refund which also would make no sense.

#4 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

They changed the arm movement? Huh, hadn't noticed.

#5 AlexEss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

as far as i know they are fairly resonable if you have a legit claim (they even refunded some of the founders to people) so it is not impossible to that they would give a refund on a MC bought Phract... A C-Bill bought one i am not as sure about.

But i must have missed what the change was.. It sounds like it had the lower arm actuator removed or limited, i guess that woudl be annoying but not worse so then any other change they have made so far (ask about the engine nerf if you missed it)

#6 Lonestar1771

• 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

It was because who ever did the 3D models messed up and the guns were "clipping" into the center torso. PGI reduced the arm movement so they would no longer do it, which in turn reduced the firing arc.

TLDR: PGI doing what it does best.

#7 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

or... the guy who was coding the skeleton messed up and gave the arms to wide range of movement and they fixed it.

We will never know.

#8 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

View PostWizard Steve, on 27 December 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

You want a refund on your time?

Swing and a miss!

If I HAD paid money, I would have been asking for a refund and then would have worked at getting them by time. But instead, I got them originally by time (so yeah, I'm irked that they're now nerfed, but at least I didn't lose money, and as such, am not looking for any type of refund; I just want to know their stance on what would justify a refund if they had done so)

#9 Mack1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 596 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

I feel your pain but asking for a time refund is a bit err LOL

PGI will eventually learn that game's such as this where a player can sink days and days into a build that is based on the figures they have been supplied require small tweaks over time not sledge hammers every two weeks. I have had 4 Mechs ruined in one patch so I know the feeling.

#10 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

View PostJetfire, on 27 December 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

I... um... wait what?! "Game gets a patch, a thing changes... refund my time please?" That makes even less sense than a monetary refund which also would make no sense.

That's cool and all, but what's cooler is that absolutely NOBODY made this statement. For all practical purposes, you pulled it out of midair.

View PostLonestar1771, on 27 December 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

It was because who ever did the 3D models messed up and the guns were "clipping" into the center torso. PGI reduced the arm movement so they would no longer do it, which in turn reduced the firing arc.

TLDR: PGI doing what it does best.

View PostAlexEss, on 27 December 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

or... the guy who was coding the skeleton messed up and gave the arms to wide range of movement and they fixed it.

We will never know.

I just feel for those who paid money for the Phract. It (was) a great chassis. Right now I'd classify it as mediocre. We just have to adapt to its shortcomings now, it would seem.

#11 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

They have been telling us everything is subject to change from day one.

I can't count the number of times my chosen tactics were nerfed in EVE Online. Never once thought I deserved a refund over it - change happens.

#12 themoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 589 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

Your analogy is pretty awful.

It's not some crippling design flaw (like having no 3rd gear would be), it's just a minor variance. I almost only pilot Cataphracts and didn't even notice the change until I saw it in the forums.

It's more like not getting leather seats. So stop your whinging.

#13 BlackSquirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 873 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

Basically no. (Read fine print on refunds), and because the game is subject to change...(more fine print) you agreed already.

So if you want your monies back you'll need to file a lawsuit... Class action might be your route. (Unless we all agreed that we're not allowed to file those against PGI.. AKA AT&T)

#14 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

View Postthemoob, on 27 December 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

Your analogy is pretty awful.

It's not some crippling design flaw (like having no 3rd gear would be), it's just a minor variance. I almost only pilot Cataphracts and didn't even notice the change until I saw it in the forums.

It's more like not getting leather seats. So stop your whinging.

Your assumption is pretty awful.

Nobody said it was a crippling design flaw. I even hinted at that people were making the best of the situation and that it only moved the chassis from being great to good. I appreciate you being all drama queen about what was said and trying to blow it all out of proportion and all (cause sensationalism makes the day go by, right?)

Also, you spelled 'whining' wrong. *****. ;)

#15 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

In my experience the mech in question is doing very well and still tear people up from monday to sunday... It has just been outclassed by the stalker and it's one-shot goodness.

#16 Biglead

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationManassas, Va

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

It's as if everyone stopped reading at "Refund" so they could make a flame post. This is actually a legitimate question. What if they placed a Hero Variant of the Highlander in game. Then the following week patched it so they only had two available Jumpjet slots only letting them jump to 20m? Shet. Would. Hit. The. Fan.

Edited by Biglead, 27 December 2012 - 02:30 PM.

#17 Coro Ner

• PipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 31 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

Its BETA...spent your money and time on own risk... clear?

#18 KuruptU4Fun

• 1,748 posts
  • LocationLewisville Tx.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

If memory serves Aegis you got a refund on your Founders package so I won't ask about that. But yeah, unless you can prove the code on the Phract is flawed, therefore providing irreparable damage to your account. You have no case to plead either to PGI or to a court. P.S. Class action lawsuits have to prove the same thing as I mentioned above.

Aegis, the specific issue with the 3rd gear problem you are describing is called a manufacturers defect. They are required to repair it for you at no charge to you.

Edited by KuruptU4Fun, 27 December 2012 - 02:34 PM.

#19 Felbombling

• 2,975 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

It might be easy to poke fun at the OP, but if you spent all your time working on three Mechs that were then nerfed into the ground, you'd want some kind of compensation, too. Things like this confuse me. When they're looking at a situation and a fix for it, they [PGI] always seem to fix half the problem.

Problem: Mech arms clipping into torso-mounted barrel.

PGI Fix: Reduce arm swing so they don't clip the torso-mounted barrel.

Proper Fix: Reduce arm swing so they don't clip the torso-mounted barrel, and increase torso twist range to compensate.

How hard is that?

#20 Choombatta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

View PostAegis Kleais, on 27 December 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

Your assumption is pretty awful.

Nobody said it was a crippling design flaw. I even hinted at that people were making the best of the situation and that it only moved the chassis from being great to good. I appreciate you being all drama queen about what was said and trying to blow it all out of proportion and all (cause sensationalism makes the day go by, right?)

Also, you spelled 'whining' wrong. *****. ;)

Wait! You make a post asking about refunds for a mech chassis. You say YOU do not want the refund, yet YOU started this post.
Are you trying to be the defender of those who paid money for the chassis, but are not asking for a refund?
And you call Themoob a drama queen?

What is the point of this thread for the OP?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users