Invert Backward Movement

43 replies to this topic

#41 Spotty Dog

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:11 PM

Please make this an option so that a player can choose how the mech will behave when reversing and turning .

Being used to WOT and Battlefield(been plaing since battlefield 1942) games where reversing and turning behaves in the opposite way compared to the way it does in Mechwarrior Online I get really frustrated when trying this game from time to time with a friend that is really into it.

I don´t care about what people think is more "logical" concerning how it should work, I just want to be able to get into the game and do some games with my friend without reversing into enemy fire and every frikkin time :)

#42 LemonFire

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 9 posts
  • Locationsitting in my lemon tree

Posted 23 October 2016 - 07:10 PM

What is this Dark Souls? If you want to say git good then just fucken say it and stop beating around the bush
Look some of us come from games like world of tanks, war thunder, armored warfare, all those games have brain washed us to have inverted steering controls is it really so much to ask for a little option that will do nothing but help you team mate live that much longer

#43 The Lobsters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLocation Location.

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:24 AM

OP. I had the similar confusion. I use a joystick in my left hand for movement and this works just as well with the keyboard. The simple solution is to swap your forward and reverse around, so 'S' for forward and 'W' for reverse.

I've never really played any games that used the WASD until MWO, so haven't had any habits to break. It can seem counter-intuitive at first so here is the way I think about it in my head.

If I think 'Which direction do I want to go?' and press the appropriate key, while that works for forward movement, it's confusing for reverse. Swap them around and I now think 'Which direction do I want my view to go?'.

So for forward I press the 'S' key or pull my stick back, and the view comes towards me, and 'W'/stick forward to push the view away.

With me so far?

If I'm moving forward and want to turn I simply 'A' or 'D'/stick left or right. The view comes to me in the direction of my command. Nothing strange there.

For reversing and turning (the fix) I press 'W'/stick forward and then press the key/move stick in the direction of the view I want to see.

For example. Say I'm in my mech taking fire from my right, and I want to turn towards the shooter and put some distance between us too. I want to reverse and turn. What I want is to see this enemy in my view. So I press 'W'/stick forward and press 'D'/stick right to present the right hand view.

It takes a bit of getting used to, esp if your muscle memory has been trying the traditional approach. So if you get confused, in that moment, remember to ask yourself 'What is the view I want to see?'

Not 'what direction do I want to move?

This has a great added benefit for reducing arm fatigue when using a joystick, as to move forward you are simply just resting your arm to pull the stick back. By pushing forward to move ahead, you are always having to apply positive pressure to act. This can get tiring after a few hours of play and you loose some finer control.

I hope that all makes sense.

Lol, Just saw this thread is nearly four years old Haha

Edited by The Lobsters, 24 October 2016 - 06:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users