Time For A New Mech: Cataphract Varients

6 replies to this topic

#1 Cstriker

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

Well, I have enjoyed my Gauss kitty (and still do), love my 4SP, and I am still tweaking my CPT-C4. I am ready for a new mech, and having a faster medium with my 4SP is making me want a bruiser now, something with some weight behind it.

I am considering the Stalker and the Atlas, but I think first I would like to pick up a Cataphract as I notice they are one of the few things that really dominate me when brawling in my 4SP.

I was looking at either the Ilya, the CTF-1X or the CFT-4X to rock multiple Ballistics since beyond my Gauss kitty, I do not play with ballistics all that much. I notice that the tri-UAC5 builds for the ilya are pretty nasty, how about with the 4X and those 4 ballistic slots? Beyond the Cbill boost with the Ilya, are there distinct advantages or disadvantages between the Ilya and the 4X? How does the 1X fair with one ballistic slot as I imagine the best use there would be an AX/20.

Would others be willing to post some successful builds for each? Thanks

Edited by Cstriker, 29 December 2012 - 08:26 AM.

#2 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

If you're looking for ballistics, you definitely want the Ilya. The 4x has a max engine of 255; you can stick an XL 340 on an Ilya, and still fit two arm-mounted AC-10s. That's my favorite build; 2 AC-10, 2 MLas, DHS (only the engine!) Endo, biggest XL. You run over 8o kph and deal ridiculous damage.

#3 Jungle Rhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

I have a build I really like for the 2x. Gives a very flexible mech with reasonable medium range punch (AC/20 is good out to ~600m) and a fearsome close quarters capability while the SSRMs have finished off many a light mech.

Large Laser (RA)
AC/20 w/4t ammo (RT)
2x Med Laser (LT/RT)
2x SSRM/2 w/1t ammo (LA)
Endo, DHS (x13)

The trick I found to driving it is to group the weapons carefully: LL (left click), ML + SSRMs (right click), AC/20 (thumb button) My brain is simply not capable of managing more than 3 weapons groups at a time ;)

I run it with a standard 280 so it isn't fast (64.8 base speed) but there is room for an XL if I downgrade to a Gauss or AC/10 so once I have spare CBills I'm going to get something silly large in there and see how it goes :)

Edited by Jungle Rhino, 29 December 2012 - 10:51 AM.

#4 Glo Worm

• PipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

If you already are used to dual guass, the 4x can do that as well, but is slightly different to play due to the lower hardpoints in the arms. I run a gauss and a MG in each arm (as MG are due for a buff on criticals in the near future) though you can also pack some (small) lasers.

It is better on criticals though - with the gauss' recent vulnerability a blowout in the arm is not as severe as it is in the LT/RT. The engine limitation is not critical, given that you want to be packing lots of ballistic weaponry anyway you will not have a ton of weight to play with. I have run an XL engine in my 4x for some time and have had very few deaths due to side torso blowout thanks to the Cataphract's larger CT hitbox, but you do have to watch your rear armor.

#5 Indolo

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

I say go for the Ilya, specically for the cbill boost. It helps build credit for the next cataphract.

Ilya is a solid mech. I have 3 UAC5 and 2 MLAS on mine with a 320xl. Thing spits out nasty damage. I'm torn on the xl engine though. Speed is nice but so easy to lose side torso.

Edit: My second phract is 3D, but wishing I'd gone with a 1X instead. Jumpjets underwhelming and the extra energy hardpoint would be nice. Running 2 LLAS and 2 PPC with standard 275 and AMS. Still getting used to it as my first PPC mech, but feels decent.

Edited by Indolo, 30 December 2012 - 02:48 AM.

#6 Cstriker

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

View PostIndolo, on 29 December 2012 - 10:14 PM, said:

I say go for the Ilya, specically for the cbill boost. It helps build credit for the next cataphract.

Ilya is a solid mech. I have 3 UAC5 and 2 MLAS on mine with a 320xl. Thing spits out nasty damage. I'm torn on the xl engine though. Speed is nice but so easy to lose side torso.

Edit: My second phract is 3D, but wishing I'd gone with a 1X instead. Jumpjets underwhelming and the extra energy hardpoint would be nice. Running 2 LLAS and 2 PPC with standard 275 and AMS. Still getting used to it as my first PPC mech, but feels decent.

Yeah I was looking at the 1X also to mount 5x Mlas and an AC/20. Seems like a good build with 55 Alpha strike.

#7 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

I love the Phract-3D. Amazing mech. I use a slightly unconventional build on mine and it works wonders for me, way better than my -1X and my (ugh) -4X.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users