41 replies to this topic

#21 Tezz LaCoil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 144 posts
  • LocationOhio USA

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

Kaaa-meeeh-haaa-meeeeh-HAAATCHETTOTHEFACE!!!

Neat idea. I personally like the look you gave the hatchet itself. Looks beefy and damaging.

#22 Czechu_NS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:44 AM

Guys, I'm trying to improve my "art" (and believe me I'm having so much fun using this Zoner Photo Studio) but I will need to ask you some questions.

In the Introductory Rulebook on page 72 you can read that hatchet is a weapon permanentaly "built into BattleMech's arm" yet on page 47 there is an information that if 'Mech has destroyed hand actuator, you can no longer use physical weapon. Trying to understand this I come up with new idea of having hatchet partialy built into the arm and held in hand at the same time. Actually I was trying to do this before in the second image that I've posted but ended up with ugly redesign... Would you accept such thing? Are there any changes to the BT rules which are precisely saying how should this hatchet look and work?

Another thing that bothers me. If I post my new Axman's drawing: should I edit the first post by adding new link, make new post and hope that some people will see it or maybe create new topic?

Edited by Czechu NS, 29 May 2012 - 04:45 AM.

#23 SideSt3p

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 484 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

Personally this is what I think of when I think of a physical weapon:

Posted Image

But I'm unsure of the tabletop rules. I would think it would be a little less "held" as built into the wrist so that you could get increased power and still use the hand acutator for something else.

#24 Czechu_NS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:20 AM

View PostSideSt3p, on 29 May 2012 - 08:41 AM, said:

Personally this is what I think of when I think of a physical weapon:

PICTURE

But I'm unsure of the tabletop rules. I would think it would be a little less "held" as built into the wrist so that you could get increased power and still use the hand acutator for something else.

I was also thinking about the built-into-wrist weapon, which would allow the 'Mech to have its hand usable for other things. I've search many images of the Battlemechs with melee weapons for some inspiration, but I think that I will first try my idea of partialy built and hend-held weapon. Also I want his hatchet to fit Axman's name, so I've made it look like axe a little.

Look at my sig guys, so you can see my creation (consider it as a little bonus before I finish and post my artwork hehe).

For those not logged in:
Posted Image

PS: Yeah, it should be "Axe", but we have Axman, not Axeman. I will change it.

Edited by Czechu NS, 29 May 2012 - 09:22 AM.

#25 Kelly Redde

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:06 PM

It looks very good, but the Axman looks best when holding its trademark hatchet. It gives it more of that feeling of looking at a person actually wearing an armored suit, with a massive titanium axe.

#26 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

View PostCzechu NS, on 29 May 2012 - 04:44 AM, said:

In the Introductory Rulebook on page 72 you can read that hatchet is a weapon permanentaly "built into BattleMech's arm" yet on page 47 there is an information that if 'Mech has destroyed hand actuator, you can no longer use physical weapon. T

The Hatchet and other Melee weapons where the fist modular wepons built for mech, more or less fancy clubs made from melted down scrap metal. The rules changed to say 'built in' because people where abusing the old rule: throwing the hatchet than picking it back up like a free range weapon) so they changed the constrtion rules so your Hatchet is part of your mech and the later art of the Scarabus and Nightsky reflect that but regular Hatchets are still consider 'fancy club.'
I ask the same qestion a while ago when the Axman AXM-6X came out and many wonder if it could still use a Axe.

#27 Czechu_NS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:20 AM

OK... some of you will hate it, some of you will love it. Improved image of my Axman - what do you think?

The hatchet? Oh well... Can't really make everyone happy.

Posted Image
Made with: Zoner Photo Studio 14 Home Edition + cheap PC Mouse 800Dpi + beginner skills

#28 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

Really amazing. It looks less FD-like now that its cleaned up, but it's still very good.

Also, nice mix between utility, anime and BTech rules. ;)

Overally, it's a success. :rolleyes:

#29 BarHaid

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:55 AM

Something you might want to think about regarding the ax-side hand. Since the ax is integrated, why not take out the handle and push the hand out to the side a bit more? That would make it easier to grab things (or at least look like its easier).

I am ready to pilot this now!

#30 ethnic minority

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

Loving the design and the grit/grain of the armour. Mind if I ask what process you used to achieve that look?

#31 Czechu_NS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

View PostBarHaid, on 31 May 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

Something you might want to think about regarding the ax-side hand. Since the ax is integrated, why not take out the handle and push the hand out to the side a bit more? That would make it easier to grab things (or at least look like its easier).

I am ready to pilot this now!

BattleTech rules were my priority, that's why I've end up with the hatchet helded in hand and partialy attached to the lower arm. Some day I will try to make another versions: a classic looking axe and the built in hatchet that doesn't need to be held.

View PostAdridos, on 31 May 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

Really amazing. It looks less FD-like now that its cleaned up, but it's still very good.

Also, nice mix between utility, anime and BTech rules. ;)

Overally, it's a success. :rolleyes:

Thanks! Actually yes, I've tried to make it less FD style, making some armor plates more rounded, etc.

View PostSteel Raven, on 29 May 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

The Hatchet and other Melee weapons where the fist modular wepons built for mech, more or less fancy clubs made from melted down scrap metal. The rules changed to say 'built in' because people where abusing the old rule: throwing the hatchet than picking it back up like a free range weapon) so they changed the constrtion rules so your Hatchet is part of your mech and the later art of the Scarabus and Nightsky reflect that but regular Hatchets are still consider 'fancy club.'
I ask the same qestion a while ago when the Axman AXM-6X came out and many wonder if it could still use a Axe.

So that's the case... LOL

View PostKelly Redde, on 29 May 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

It looks very good, but the Axman looks best when holding its trademark hatchet. It gives it more of that feeling of looking at a person actually wearing an armored suit, with a massive titanium axe.

Well... Yeah, I agree. Mechs were supposed to be like giants, titans on the battlefield. I will make another version someday.

Thanks guys for comments!

Edited by Czechu NS, 31 May 2012 - 11:08 AM.

#32 Czechu_NS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

View Postethnic minority, on 31 May 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

Loving the design and the grit/grain of the armour. Mind if I ask what process you used to achieve that look?

Uhmmm... Process? Forgive me, I'm still digiart noob and I was making it by trying different colors, paintbrushes and effects. I still don't know how to draw straight lines in this photo editing app. Probably there is no such function, since it is not drawing program. I will try and post here all my images to show how I was working on it and explain some of my actions. Also I'm still learning english and I will need more time to understand/translate some words so sorry for every late replies from me.

EDIT:

OK ethnic minority, I hope that my explaination will help you and other users who want to know something about my working process.

My entire work was created in application called Zoner Photo Studio 14 Home
1. This is my final art. At the end I selected the area to edit (whole Axman without lenses) and: "Adjust" -> "Brighten Shadows..." -> Mask Source: "Desaturation" and made some changes 'till I got happy with them. After that (the same selected area) I used: "Adjust" -> "Sharpen..." -> Type: "Simple sharpening" and made it max. For the background I just clicked on the "Invert" button while having the selection and copyied the Axman. Other area was made with paintbrush.
2. Unfortunately this is my last saved unfinished work. But the only changes I've made to it were the leg and area near head. After I finished the drawing I've done everything like I said in point 1. As you can see I was drowing most parts. Only the Torso is the re-touched image from point 3. More about brushes in points A-H.
3. The one on the left: Drawn on paper with my pen, then made a photo of it, edited and colored in Zoner. To achieve that I used "Adjust" -> "Enhance Colors..." and made some acceptable for me changes, mostly by changing the Contrast Gamma and Brightness. Image on the right... That was some discovery! I realised that I can be an digital artist! First what I did was making those lines much thinner adding more color to the armor plate, then I just added brighter color or even white one to the edges. Simple, yet effective! After improving the torso I decided, that arms and legs will be drawn instead of improving them. I found simple technique for this:
A. I used paintbrush with these settings: "Diameter: it depends", "Opacity: 10", "Density: 10", "Blur: 15", "Spacing: 50", "Color: it depends...", "Mode: Normal". At first I just clicked "many times here, many times there" and create something like these two "cloudy armor plates".
B. Here I used "Deform" tool in "Move" mode with "Strenght: 50" to form an objcet.
C. Same paintbrush, just with darker color, "click here, click there" drill...
D. Same paintbrush, but with color of the background, to create panel line on the edge, where two armor plates "connect".
E. Same paintbrush, this time brighter color to add some light to the edges.
F. Paintbrush with changed Opacity to "70" and Density to "90" and color set to the background one, brushed around my drawing to remove any unwanted imperfections.
G. Selected area (like said in pont 1.) - "Brighten Shadows..."
H. Selected area (like said in point 1.) - "Sharpen..."

I know, that sounds very silly for pro artists, but I just started my digital art adventure and I had to learn my way (at least for now).

Full Image: http://i.imgur.com/xKWSE.jpg
Posted Image

Edited by Czechu NS, 31 May 2012 - 03:14 PM.

#33 Gherrek

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:59 PM

Great image and I do hope that one day they do put melee in the game, we'll get to see the Berzerker then!

#34 Agent Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 437 posts
  • Locationbottom left of canaduh

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

Like the concept of the axe, very original.

#35 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:40 AM

Again. Nice work! ;)

#36 tyrone dunkirk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:02 PM

Excellent work! The cleaned up version looks very nice, but in my opinion looks too much like it's a giant dude in a suit holding the axe, rather than the massive war machine than it appeared as in the original 'dirty' verison in concept mode. Excellent work nonetheless, wish I had your talents with the coloring skills and what not. Guess I'll stick to B&W sketching :(

#37 Czechu_NS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:34 AM

Thanks guys for your opinions!

View Posttyrone dunkirk, on 02 June 2012 - 08:02 PM, said:

Excellent work! The cleaned up version looks very nice, but in my opinion looks too much like it's a giant dude in a suit holding the axe, rather than the massive war machine than it appeared as in the original 'dirty' verison in concept mode. Excellent work nonetheless, wish I had your talents with the coloring skills and what not. Guess I'll stick to B&W sketching :D

Well... A lot of Inner Shere Battlemechs look like giant dudes, hehe. Actually I was trying to not copy FD's style too much, yet make the Axman look enough like a machine that fits Battletech universe. Also my intentions were to make my Axman look like medieval executioner - especialy the cockpit area. Take a look at those images and you will see what I mean: http://www.roussimof...Executioner.jpg, http://www.arthurscl...executioner.gif

#38 ERRATIC CHEESE

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

Man, your Axman looks much better than the original(s). I remember when I had just started my architecture degree, the university gave us access to these computer/plastic moulders. The first thing I had it sculpt was a little wannabe-axman mech. Then it melted in the machine and got me in trouble.

You posted an image with 4 sections above. I'd say image 1 looks best. The head's stronger and the ax is original; I've never seen an ax design like that. All your designs are better than the typical Axman look, which is too lanky and awkward looking.

Edited by ERRATIC CHEESE, 05 June 2012 - 05:05 PM.

#39 Czechu_NS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

Finally, started using GIMP instead of Zoner Photo Studio! Here is my first GIMP quick sketch of CP-10-Z Cyclops Battlemech. What do you think?
Posted Image.

Yeah, I know, there is already one redesign on MWO Fan Art forum by user Creepy, but I also wanted to design my own, hehe.

#40 Stormeris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • LocationLithuania

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

VERY AWESOME, do you use mouse, or some other hardware? :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users