What I've Noticed In The Game Lately...

6 replies to this topic

#1 Rayah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 801 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

I recently started playing the game again when the Spider came out, and that means coming back to the forums a bit as well. Playing the game again with a bunch of hunchbacks and a spider (that I now can't use) has shown me quite a few things about the game:

*XL Engines are a little too popular

I can't tell you how many times I've seen my entire team get cored in their side-torso because they have an XL, and most of the time they have most of their armor on the rest of their body. I realize that an XL engine might allow you to fit on that last AC, but is getting cored by a lucky side-torso-shot worth it? Tearing the XL engines out of 2 of my 3 hunchbacks was the best thing I ever did for them.

*Streak Cats are still a pain in the ***

Seriously, I'm not supposed to fear a Cat more then an Atlas in close combat, that's just wrong. Nobody respects you Streak Cat pilots, all you do is ruin the game for everyone else. How you guys find that fun is beyond me.

*Gun-boats are finally popular

The addition of the Cataphract and the AC buff have really brought out the big guns, it's nice to see that the smaller autocannons are finally contending with lasers. Though most matches still come down to who's talking or who has the most srms, it seems.

*Streaks + ECM = No fun for non-ECM lights.

Seriously, this is why I don't have a working Spider anymore; I scrapped my old one to get the ECM one, and I ran out of C-bills before I could finish it. I have no issues with this when I'm in one of my hunchbacks, however, my problem is when I'm in a light.

*A LOT more PPCs...

Six PPCs are damn scary.... :angry:

This is just what I've noticed about people and their mechs, the builds are more diverse (I saw an ac20 Raven earlier...) but their are still issues that even plagued the Closed Beta. The popularity of the Autocannon is a great thing in my eyes, it shows that Piranha is actually trying to fix things.

-meh
/end rant

#2 Jim Dean

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

Well, once the economy gets all sorted out or whatever, playing carelessly with an XL engine will probably be way to costly to maintain.

#3 FactorlanP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

View PostJim Dean, on 29 January 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

Well, once the economy gets all sorted out or whatever, playing carelessly with an XL engine will probably be way to costly to maintain.

Are they bringing Repair and Rearm back? Otherwise, I don't see how there can ever be a penalty to XL use other then the initial cost (which is large) and the greater risk (which can be large depending upon which chassis it is installed).

#4 Termius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

I hope they bring back RnR so that playing XL-builds and having lots of fancy tech has a downside. It wasn't perfect when it was out (Like collisions) but it holds a place in the game once they manage to balance it.

It will be a good day when we have both Collision and RnR back :angry:

#5 FactorlanP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

View PostTermius, on 29 January 2013 - 09:15 PM, said:

It will be a good day when we have both Collision and RnR back :angry:

Honestly... I agree... Repair and Rearm should come back. There should be penalties to being blown up while driving an XL powered mech with Double Heat Sinks etc etc...

There should also be rearm penalties for boating missiles of any variety. Missiles can do great harm, they should be expensive to reload.

#6 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

as it is setup now i dont think bringing back R&R will work. The earnings after a match are too small to sustain R&R. They need to adjust all the economy to make it viable. But for now it is fun as it is...not beeing forced to use just some items because of R&R it is a good thing for the game and for the players. We get the chance to play any build we want. So until another form of econmy is implemented...better without R&R.

Edited by smokefield, 29 January 2013 - 10:27 PM.

#7 Tarman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

I'm happy that ACs got enough love to be a diverse set of tools instead of Gauss/2Gauss/NoGauss being the choices in ballistics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users