Ecm Scout: Rvn-3L Or Cda-3M?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Redoxin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

So I would like to get into scout mechs now, after having played all other roles.
Obviously it should be a scout with ECM. Now I am wondering, do I want a Raven or a Cicada? Dont want the Commando because it has less armor.

I am looking at these builds currently:

Raven: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fd021eb34b9564a
Cicada: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...25f57c2387fae41

So to the experienced scout pilots, which one do you prefer and why? I heard that the turning radius on the Cicada is better than on the Raven, anyone knows if that is true?

#2 Konril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

My own personal choice when ECM started to hit the battlefields was the Cicada. My very specific reason for that was because I could use my mastery of the Centurion to reduce the time I was forced in the awful CDA-2A and CDA-2B in order to master the ECM capable CDA-3M. I'm not sure the two non ECM Ravens are that much better. But I'm still saving up for that purchase.

And to be honest, even though I chose the CDA-3M, I think you are going to be happier with the RVN-3L.

In a scout vs. scout hunter battle where both sides are moving around at 140kph, it is near impossible to hold a laser on target for a full 1 second. Doubly so because of a net-code phenomenon people have labelled the "lag shield." Although the shorter beam duration means that the medium pulse laser is only about 17% more damage against a slow heavy or assault target, it is about 60% more damage per laser against other fast targets usually. Unfortunately, that's because a lot of the beam misses because of the short opportunities to hit the target so it's really hard for two laser-based scouts to fight each other in any case. Streak SRMs combined with an ECM to counter enemy jamming have a huge advantage here. It needs a lock to fire, but once it locks the only way for the missiles to miss is if they impact an obstacle between them and the target like the edge of a building or a friendly battlemech cutting in front of the launcher. So while maybe half of a medium's 5 points of damage may hit, if you're lucky, the Streak's full 5 points are almost guaranteed.

It's a bad enough issue currently where the only 1 on 1 counter to the ECM Raven is the ECM Commando. 3 streaks trump 2. Otherwise, the only really effective way for anybody else to take on a Raven is to bring teammates. While the ECMs are countering each other, the two scouts are extremely vulnerable to LRM fire. So I wouldn't ditch the TAG system on either mech.

#3 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Posted Image
OT: 3L is better because of lower profile and streaks.

Edited by Budor, 30 December 2012 - 01:09 PM.

#4 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

I chose the CDA-3M for personal/weird meta-game reasons. 1. I like the mech and I already mastered the other medium chassis and wanted to round out the set. 2. I figured picking the MEDIUM scout would increase the chances of the enemy team spawning a HBK or Cent, rather than taking a light and invariably giving the enemy another RVN-3L. The idea is to give your team the leg up, not pump up the number of annoying buggers they have to deal with.

I really like it. I run mine with an XL320, 4 MLAS, ECM, BAP, DHS, and full armour. I tried many different builds with ACs, PPCs, LLAS, whatever, and found that just keeping it clean and simple worked best. Scout around, use those 4 MLAS to target specific areas, NEVER stop moving. Be smart about engaging other fast movers, RVN-3Ls will eat you alive since they can use streaks and move just as fast. Have to play a bit more intelligently.

#5 ICEFANG13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

Cicada is preferred for me for scouting, because I'd rather not fight a Raven with it. The Raven is better overall, faster generally, and more maneuverable, but odds are good you'll be fighting another 3L, a Cicada is less likely to be fighting another 3M.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users