On Mech Diversity!

49 replies to this topic

#41 soarra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,312 posts
  • Locationny

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

Its really looking like awesomes are going extinct.

#42 MuonNeutrino

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

16 more matches, raw data in this google docs spreadsheet as before. 6 matches last night ~9-10 EST, until some friends logged on and I went to play with them. 10 more today from ~3:15-4:45 EST.

Not sure lumping together the matches played at different times is a reasonable idea, but if I do, I get:

17% light mechs
14% medium mechs
35% heavy mechs
33% assault mechs

14% ECM carriers
23% trial mechs (upper limit as before)
5.4% hero mechs

And again, between both sets there were only 4 (3.6%) awesomes. Atlases and stalkers were again very common and made up nearly 30% of all mechs between them. Cataphracts were as common as stalkers, and ravens and (surprisingly) dragons were next most common. There were also exactly 1 jenner and 0 cicadas between both sets.

#43 soarra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,312 posts
  • Locationny

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

looks like the light and med numbers are staying the same, with heavy and assault fluctuating a bit.

#44 hammerreborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Very nice work guys. I'm going to be posting my results tonight (have about 5 more rounds for my 20), and the summation of all our data into the other thread.

#45 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

And they are up.

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1680369 for the total results (will be adding chassis based percentages shortly).

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1687773 for my raw data for the last 20 matches.

#46 Valkyrie Brynhildr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 343 posts
  • LocationHall of the Valkyries

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Interesting topic.

Myself, I currently only have 2 mechs at the moment (Hunchback and Ilya) and tend to use the Ilya more.

#47 Kargush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

View Poststjobe, on 30 December 2012 - 06:58 PM, said:

Interesting. It's supposed to be Medium, Light, Heavy, Assault - if you want to go by BT lore. Clearly MWO has a bit to go yet in getting the weight classes right.

It's more that in BT lore, mediums are quite affordable, whereas here, you can pilot a trial assault into the ground repeatedly until you can afford your own.

No need to put this one down to "getting" anything "right." It's a reflection of player desires and availability of resources.

#48 PiemasterXL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 556 posts
  • LocationThe deep-south, cookin' Moonshine.

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Some 'Mechs are chosen over other 'Mechs in certain situations, even if the latter 'Mech is more qualified for the role.

It's called "Affirmative 'Mection"

Posted Image

#49 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

View PostKargush, on 01 January 2013 - 06:28 PM, said:

It's more that in BT lore, mediums are quite affordable, whereas here, you can pilot a trial assault into the ground repeatedly until you can afford your own.

No need to put this one down to "getting" anything "right." It's a reflection of player desires and availability of resources.

I believe it was much closer to the lore when r&r was implemented, and anyone who wanted to make money stayed away from the assaults. And when cadet bonuses weren't there as well, as you couldn't get enough to buy a stalker in a couple hours as you can now.

The meta game is shifting, people know they'll be the only medium in a match when pugging and will likely be destroyed by an army of assaults on the other team. With my premades group last night in about 10 matches I was the only light in 8 of them, and in 6 I was the only non-heavy/assault on my team. There were 4 drops with 5 atlas on one team (only one teammate was running the atlas)

#50 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

View PostKargush, on 01 January 2013 - 06:28 PM, said:

View Posthammerreborn, on 02 January 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

I believe it was much closer to the lore when r&r was implemented, and anyone who wanted to make money stayed away from the assaults. And when cadet bonuses weren't there as well, as you couldn't get enough to buy a stalker in a couple hours as you can now.

I do think it is a matter of getting it right. The removal of R&R, as hammerreborn says, allowed anyone to play a heavy or assault without any drawbacks. And why would anyone want to drive anything but an Atlas, as Vassago Rain might say...

We now have matches with fully 3/4 of the teams in heavies and assaults - 12 out of 16 'mechs on the field are heavy or assault 'mechs going by the percentages presented in this thread.

That's of course nice for people who like to drive buses, but I don't know if relegating lights and mediums to 1/4 of 'mechs fielded is good for the game in the long run.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users