[Video]Complete New Player's Guide To Mechwarrior Online

8 replies to this topic

#1 MayhemStrider

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 35 posts
  • LocationPueblo, Colorado

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:34 AM

How's it going community, Strider here. Spent the last week or so working on this video as a guide for new players. This guide glances over controls, but mainly concentrates on effectively starting your career, building your first mech chassis effectively, finding friendly folks to play with, functionality of the mechlab and its equipment / weapons, and working on a team. On my new channel I will be leading off of this video to create guides for advanced squad tactics and builds, as well as matches from my clan. Under the video I will be copying the description from YouTube Here it is folks, enjoy.

-Strider

Please read the Description!

I politely ask that you watch the video in 1080p in fullscreen for the sake of being able to read the text easily! Time-stamps can be found below.

Time-stamps

Intro - 00:00 - 03:10
Basic Controls and Gameplay - 3:10 - 10:24
Finding Friendly Players - 10:24 - 12:11
MechLab - 12:11 - 35:37
Becoming a Better Pilot and Closing - 35:37

Welcome to Mechwarrior Online cadet, you've made an excellent decision as a gamer, as this is a phenominal first person shooter that will happily occupy many hours of your time. The name's Sean aka Strider and I'm going to be going over many aspects of the game today, which can be helpful to new players and old BattleTech heads alike. I intend on making many videos to cover the matches of the clan I am a member of [Shooter's INC], as well as build strategies and squad tactics. Here's a few links that I mention in the video
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended Teamspeak servers for new players:

Comstar NA:
Address: na1.mech-connect.net
Password: WordofBlake

No Guts No Galaxy Outreach Server:
Address: voip01.n1585.hypernia.net:9992
Password: mechwarrior

Battletech wiki: www.sarna.net

Excellent Equipment reference and build planning: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

Feel free to ask me questions about the game in the comments section, I will do my best to answer them. Stay Classy Mechwarrior, I'll see you on the Battlefield

-Strider

Edited by MayhemStrider, 03 January 2013 - 04:14 AM.

#2 Fred013

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the red dot on your chest.

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

It's wonderful to see that you are trying to create more sources of information for new player. However, while there were areas you covered better than the original training video, I would have focused more on the things that the training video didn't cover and open with that you are assuming that viewers have seen the original vid at the training grounds. Also there was not enough real gameplay IMHO, but thumbs up for trying to give new players ideas on how to build their mech.

#3 MayhemStrider

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

Thanks for the input Fred, I will be making other videos to touch base on a lot of things. I think the next will be interface tweaking in the user.cfg file or modifying joystick controls, and future videos on in-depth build theory and showcases. Stay classy Mechwarrior

-Strider

#4 Arcturious

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 785 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:52 AM

Firstly, excellent to see more guides out there, there can never be too many.

My first thought was breaking it into a few sections, so rather than a single 40 min long video, make it 4x 10 min videos etc. You could start with an index video with clickable links that launch the various sections. Make it a playlist so if people just start with the first one they can simply auto load the next as each is finished to replicate your current video.

You can also take advantage of Youtube features like highlighting or boxing around the areas you are discussing. I haven't used them myself, but seen other videos that put a comment box or similar over the areas in the video being discussed. So when you talk about targetting, or the HUD you can draw attention to specific elements.

Haven't made it all the way through yet as 40 mins is a big chunk of time but will try and provide specific feedback on content at a later date once have watched it through. Kudos for putting in this much work!

#5 MayhemStrider

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:01 AM

View PostArcturious, on 03 January 2013 - 03:52 AM, said:

Firstly, excellent to see more guides out there, there can never be too many.

My first thought was breaking it into a few sections, so rather than a single 40 min long video, make it 4x 10 min videos etc. You could start with an index video with clickable links that launch the various sections. Make it a playlist so if people just start with the first one they can simply auto load the next as each is finished to replicate your current video.

You can also take advantage of Youtube features like highlighting or boxing around the areas you are discussing. I haven't used them myself, but seen other videos that put a comment box or similar over the areas in the video being discussed. So when you talk about targetting, or the HUD you can draw attention to specific elements.

Haven't made it all the way through yet as 40 mins is a big chunk of time but will try and provide specific feedback on content at a later date once have watched it through. Kudos for putting in this much work!

Going forward I intend to go for more specialized videos, I wanted to make a one stop sort of deal (Also there are timestamps though the mechlab bit gets a bit rambly) and as I get things hunkered down I may remake this in a way that appeals to me more. I do acknowledge that it isn't perfect but it'll do for now. Thanks for the feedback though.

-Strider

Edited by MayhemStrider, 03 January 2013 - 04:02 AM.

#6 Taizan

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:23 AM

Ok here some feedback:

1) You have a very good narrator voice and the sound level / quality is good as well
2) The video is of very good quality, albeit a bit lengthy, breaking it up and also cutting out some irrelevant stuff will help
3) Maybe really do this the next time with a new account the way a new player will experience the game, starting it off with a Muromets, the Urbanmech in the cockpit, with an XL 300 engine instead of a default trial mech gives the impression you need MCs or else you can't play.
4) When you went into your first match you did explain some things, left other basics out or introduced them a bit arbitrarily, check the structure of how you are introducing things (i.e. first all function keys, then all movement keys, then weapon control - also explaining what chainfire actually does etc.)
5) Always only go with the default keys and maybe also somehow highlight the keys in the video.
6) The mechlab part needs to be done new, again structure needs to be overworked and your narration goes a bit into "loud thoughts" with some random explanations to how things work

Maybe try making a written FAQ style document and then write out what you are going to say in each section so you have some kind of script, may also help you breaking up the video in several chapters which you can link to.

Edited by Taizan, 03 January 2013 - 04:23 AM.

#7 MayhemStrider

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Thank you for the constructive feedback Taizan:

1) Why thank you for the compliment, I use an AT2020 Microphone with a pop filter and windscreen (200 dollar basic studio input) if anyone was curious.
2) I use fraps at 1920x1080 30 fps and render it as well to those specifications in sony vegas pro 12. This video was pretty much a massive one take I'll admit. I wanted to cut some of the derping in the mechlab but there was good information there so I chose not to.
3) Yes I agree, and I didn't think about it that way at the time. (Plus I love my Muromets ;))
4) I had a script for the basic controls but I got cut short by a need to play the match, I unfortunately can't make a 16 man premade like the no guts no galaxy gents so I did my best (also that was entirely Live commentary)
5) Thinking about trying to fix this with annotations
6) I will more than likely remake this video entirely after I get my style locked down but I encourage you to subscribe to my channel for more focused videos that dont cover such broad topics. The reason I threw the video down in one big chunk is because (It takes FOREVER to render 1080 30fps video) I'd rather hit render and go to bed then have to do it over the course of 4 days or reduce quality. Rendering / uploading ties up my rig 100% so I only do it during my sleep hours.

Things to expect next is a video completely about honing in the interface for the most comfortable gameplay with the user.cfg file.

Edited by MayhemStrider, 03 January 2013 - 05:23 PM.

#8 Mantacore24

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

Thanks for the Helpful guide. This is my first day playing MWO and I'm trying not to be a hindrance to the other players. I would really like to see some in depth videos or test based guides that explain grouping and how it factors in other then just "how to". Also explanations of different useful keys like switching visions and things of that nature. As a side note I am trying to find some players who would be will to patiently help me get used to the game. I played MechWarrior 31st century combat a LONG while ago and my more "modern" plays have been the MechAssualt games on the consoles. If any interested parties could help me out please let me know.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users