Creating Tutorial Topic List, Requesting Newcomer Input!

26 replies to this topic

#21 Wormrex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 164 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:11 AM

Weapon's effective range as well, seen too many fire LRMs point blank.

Position/moving is also something worth touching on I must say, learning to drive while shooting does help plenty.

#22 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

Definitely going to be included Wormrex. Although I admit, I love the guys carrying 6 standard PPCs firing them point blank and baffled when they can't hurt me.

Sometimes though they just have the weapons tied together and panic instead of separating them when the situation gets close and personal.

Which reminds me... That's definitely going into the tips section. "Don't panic." Many players panic when they get surrounded or outgunned. They begin to rapidly change targets, trying to pump shots into every enemy or they fire everything at once and overheat, powering down and becoming helpless.

Even in a losing situation, it's better to hold off from that trigger and move than to risk shutdown. Myself I will liberally sacrifice limbs if it means protecting my center torso. Alive and arm-less is more useful than dead with arms.

Focus your fire. Sections without armor are easy to destroy, fire as precisely as you can and chances are you can cripple half of the enemy's weapons. If the enemy is too fast to outrun but ballsy enough to walk at your pace while fighting you then he's deliberately aiming for sections of your body. Conceal them and aim for his legs so you have a chance to get away.

Don't commit without a plan of escape or cover. Your armor heats up as it is damaged. Whether it's "stress health" or a damage bonus, we know that it's easier to kill something that's glowing than something that is not. Don't let the stress build up, withdraw after taking a few hits and come back. If you can't, then give them something else to shoot at by giving them another body part.

Pay attention to what your enemy is doing.

If you're fighting a 'Mech and he shows some very peculiar habits, there's a good reason for them.

If he has a habit of torso twisting to take damage into his arms, then chances are he has an XL engine. Concentrate fire on his side torsos.

If a slow enemy deliberately shows his back to you without changing targets (he isn't fighting anyone else) only to turn back and shoot you and repeat, then chances are his armor is stronger on his back. Aim for the legs instead.

If you shoot one enemy and 4 of them turn to face you at the same time, then you just shot a pre-made group. It's time to run. Fast.

If an enemy sees you and lets you continue attacking another enemy that is behind him (doesn't attack you or draw attention to himself), then he's got a plan. Don't walk pass him to your target. (Got my best score, being the guy who didn't draw attention until they walked right on by, picking on one isolated enemy at a time until the final premade of three, who focused all of their fire on someone else and walked right on by me. Took two of them out before they even reacted.)

Posted Image

Going through and updating the list now. I think I have just about everything I can. If someone thinks of something, please let me know.

#23 MechWarrior86

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

this is so helpful! thank you guys! :)

#24 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

You're welcome.

*Was told in recent match about artificial structures which affect combat strategies for 'Mechs. This reminded me of environmental advantages that long-term players take for granted. Placed two sections into topics. One for general environmental things (water cools, geysers heat, lava melts, etc). Another for map-specific things of note.

Looking forward to environmental destruction once the balance issues and netcode stability are taken care of.

#25 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

Found new things to add while reading forums:

1) Faction information.
2) How to join factions and/or merc groups.
3) What the "news feed" really is (aside from listing important canon dates, events, power struggles, the news feed also hints to upcoming releases of technologies, equipment, and the fielding of new 'Mechs as well as some Easter Eggs).
4) How to identify hard-points and their placement by looking at the 'Mech's icon (in 'Mech purchase menu). -- To be added to "Buying your first 'Mech, what you need to know."

#26 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

Not exactly on topic, but not exactly off:

http://mwomercs.com/...y-an-education/

Specifically made for Newcomers.

#27 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

Reading it over. I'll see what I could incorporate into it for those interested in the lore. At the very least I'll include links or soft references.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users