20 replies to this topic

#1 Valkyrie Brynhildr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 343 posts
  • LocationHall of the Valkyries

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

How many games have you been legged in something other than a light and still managed to survive the game in victory?

I just had a Conquest game in the Ilya Murometts like that where I jump on a lone Raven capping a point with the rest of my group behind me and managed to bang up the Raven before it runs off and I give chase.

Soon, missiles rain down on me as 2 more mechs suddenly shot up as I'm primaried and in the missile barrages blow off one of my legs. WIth the rest of the room, we managed to trash the other two mechs while I spend the rest of the game limping slowly after the group and still managed to leg a Jenner and blow it up and still give some long range AC support while I chase after them.

In the end, I manage about 300+ damage and a few kills all while missing my leg most of the game. I have to give props to my lance mates for doing most of the work, though.

#2 Jordax

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

no one aims for the legs, the only legged mech i see are lights and thats because of splash damage no intentional leg targeting.

I'm sure some people in heavier mechs shave some armor off the legs to fit 1 or 2 more tons of ammo or bap or ecm.

#3 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

I actually leg a LOT of folks... because tons of folks strip their leg armor.

I'll often toss a shot at someone's legs, just to test them out. If they show more damage than they should, I rip them off.

What's really funny is that some folks strip their leg armor, and then proceed to put ammo in their legs.

#4 Valkyrie Brynhildr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 343 posts
  • LocationHall of the Valkyries

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

I suppose legs aren't important if you're in something like an Assault where movement takes a backseat to weaponry...

#5 CycKath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Only been legged in lights and mediums, and unless 2/3 of the opposing team are toast by that point then I'm generally seconds from joining them.

#6 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

About half the time.

#7 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

My Flame and my IM both survived a few games minus a leg, and I even survived a game with a one legged Raven (as it hobbles faster then many mechs RUN).

Last occurrence I was in my Gauss IM on a hill, raining solid metal hypersonic gifts at the enemy below, when I heard the thunk of a Gauss hit to the ground next to me. I locate the source in time to see a K2 fire another pair of gauss at me, which hit my leg. I fired back at the target which was probably over 700 meters away and hit, I believe, his right torso. He proceeded to pop in and out of cover in a straight back and forth motion, kinda like a whack a mole, and blast at both of my legs, exclusively. Every time he did that from then on out, I put two slugs right into his center torso. Needless to say, he exploded well before he could finish off my second leg.

I still do not understand -why- he chose to attack my feet, as he was the second to last hostile on the enemy team and my team was only down two pilots. He would have been far better off aiming for a killshot instead of a legshot. As it stood, however, all he did was irritate and confuse me.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 03 January 2013 - 10:41 PM.

#8 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Someone legged my stalker. I had full armor, and I mean full 526/526 with 72 per leg.
He had a triple UAC/5 Ilya, and he legged me before I finished killing him.
The funny part is that I was running an XL and actually had less armor on my torsos (due to front/back split).

I spent the rest of the match "running" around at 30kph.

#9 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

It's too hard to tell visually which leg is actually destroyed. I've always had a hard time figuring out which leg is which on a moving mech. Even if you know, targeting them is no easy task given the netcode.

I think I lost legs in my first 4 matches after I unlocked my CN9-D. I was amazed that it happened so consistently, but I've only lost one leg in the last few weeks so who knows.

Edited by Fate 6, 03 January 2013 - 11:47 PM.

#10 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

legging's only good if you can take a mech out. in this and mw4 you turn a mech into a slow turret from legging. unrealistic, a waste of time, effort and you're not disabling the weapons so no one does. only lights get legged cause their speed let's them lag teleport and run away and everyone hates that. as far as a sim goes it's the worst part o the game that you can't knock legs clean off but if you could then everyone would be doing it so there's no good answer whether that should happen or not. most of the time legging happens by accident and it's only happend to me once. i've only seen twice an effort after one leg was taken the other one was shot at {this excludes lights of course}. so you're not likely to ever see pilots aiming at legs when componant damage, kills, and weapon disables are made by shooting at the torso.

Edited by GalaxyBluestar, 04 January 2013 - 12:31 AM.

#11 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

Strangely my Yen-lo-Wang used to get legged every 3rd or 4th match which I find baffling as I've never lost a leg on any other mech other than a light/cicada.

I've managed to get kills on two seperate occasions and survive in my Cicada though after being legged. Always nice when that happens as the mocking from both sides on the poor pilots was a bit cruel.... " you can't even kill a one legged Cicada!!!!". ;)

#12 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:54 AM

View PostRoland, on 03 January 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

I actually leg a LOT of folks... because tons of folks strip their leg armor.

I'll often toss a shot at someone's legs, just to test them out. If they show more damage than they should, I rip them off.

What's really funny is that some folks strip their leg armor, and then proceed to put ammo in their legs.

I test leg armor religiously.

#13 Sorho

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

I think I've been legged once, maybe twice in my hunchbacks, mostly due to everybody shooting at a hunchback having a massive hard on for shooting your hunch ;)

I've legged lights on occasion, but never on purpose (SRM spread/hip shooting etc)

#14 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

I need help with this topic:

When i get legged, on any mech that is, i can only move around at 15km/h. Sometimes though i can persuade my mech to move at 1/2 of its original speed. How is this done?!

I tried stopping and reaccelerating, going back than forth, accelerating in the smallest intervals and setting my speed to 50%...nothing works reliably.

Edited by Budor, 04 January 2013 - 01:45 AM.

#15 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:26 AM

View PostRoland, on 03 January 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

I actually leg a LOT of folks.

Every game I leg.

It would be infinitely more effective too if people actually focus fired them along with me instead of derping around.

View PostBudor, on 04 January 2013 - 01:39 AM, said:

I need help with this topic:

When i get legged, on any mech that is, i can only move around at 15km/h. Sometimes though i can persuade my mech to move at 1/2 of its original speed. How is this done?!

I tried stopping and reaccelerating, going back than forth, accelerating in the smallest intervals and setting my speed to 50%...nothing works reliably.

It takes like 5 seconds or so seconds of not being shot. then you can get 50% throttle back. As soon as a laser grazes you, it drops again to limp, and the timer resets.

Edited by Ghogiel, 04 January 2013 - 02:27 AM.

#16 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:36 AM

so some people leg mechs, funny how i've hardly ever seen any heavys assaults or even mediums stumbling on one leg. the cicada is the only exception there. most people want damgae bonus and to strip weapons and to kill. you need two legs for the kill and you're not making much damage bonus so most people feel it's a waste of time to try and hit legs. if a leg could actually be shreaded in a more simulation manner my how things would change.

#17 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:10 AM

View PostGalaxyBluestar, on 04 January 2013 - 02:36 AM, said:

so some people leg mechs, funny how i've hardly ever seen any heavys assaults or even mediums stumbling on one leg. the cicada is the only exception there. most people want damgae bonus and to strip weapons and to kill. you need two legs for the kill and you're not making much damage bonus so most people feel it's a waste of time to try and hit legs. if a leg could actually be shreaded in a more simulation manner my how things would change.

well, a few things to consider here...
Once a mech is legged, it usually dies almost instantly. It's very rare that a mech gets legged and doesn't die. For the most part, once the leg is off, the mech is virtually stationary.

Second, with the introduction of Double Heat Sinks, torso and arm space became valuable Heat Sink storage space... The legs, with only two available slots, became useless for holding anything other than structure crits and ammo.

You'll find that you get a lot of ammo explosions on mechs when you leg them, which then propagate up to the side torso, often killing the mech.

Like I said though, it's not always the best tactic... Generally, killing a mech through the torso is faster, given full armor distribution. But so many folks have said, "Man, no one ever shoots my legs.. I'm gonna strip down some of that tonnage so I can have more guns!" You'd be surprised how many mechs have their legs go crit after ONE shot.

#18 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:18 AM

In 3000+ matches it happened once in my reliable Centurion that i survived a match.

Edited by Thorqemada, 04 January 2013 - 06:19 AM.

#19 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:20 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 04 January 2013 - 06:18 AM, said:

In 3000+ matches it happened once in my reliable Centurion that i survived a match.

My record or as a totally popsickled cent with one leg, killed a K2 with it to win that game lol

Edited by Yokaiko, 04 January 2013 - 06:20 AM.

#20 CodeNameValtus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:29 AM

View PostJordax, on 03 January 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

no one aims for the legs, the only legged mech i see are lights and thats because of splash damage no intentional leg targeting.

I'm sure some people in heavier mechs shave some armor off the legs to fit 1 or 2 more tons of ammo or bap or ecm.

You are doing it wrong!

There are 2 ways to maximize the amounts of C-Bills per game you earn.
#1) Headshots - kill the flesh, save the metal. Most money you can get for a kill. Far too often I see people shoot AFK's in the chest, wasting all that precious money. Hard to do against a live opponent, but if the opportunity presents itself (shutdown, afk, etc) TAKE IT!
#2) Legging - There's only the 4 slots down there, if they run DHS, then maybe they stashed some ammo down there, it explodes and instant legging. This makes the 2nd most amount of money in the game, as you don't ding up the rest of their mech, what are you losing on salvage? BAP? A few heat sinks? some ammo? all that stuff is relatively cheap. And besides, if people get greedy with their loadouts and shave armor off their legs, it only makes it that much easier! I almost always try to leg most mechs. Fastest and easiest way to get kills with a coordinated team.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users