Can Someone Please Explain This To Me

14 replies to this topic

#1 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

I've seen a really disturbing trend lately: Games lost, with 3 or more teammates having died with only 1-5 damage dealt.

How is this even possible? Are brawler-only builds still popular? Are people just charging in assault mechs and getting pew pewed to death?

#2 Ramien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • LocationToledo

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

I don't see it happen a lot, but if there are enough heavy alpha builds on one side or another, focusing fire and a little luck can lead to near-instant destruction for anything under a maxxed-armor assault.

#3 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

Bad luck on your part?

I remember my first three rounds very, very clearly..

I was trying to use the Joystick and the controls were quite different than MW2, MW#, and MW4 by default, and I didn't even know how to accelerate and my torso twist didn't work on my EVO..... so my first three games I know I caused less than 20 damage in each, using the Trial Assault battlemech .. at the time I think it was the Atlas D.

Maybe that's whats happening to yo, your running into some new players figuring out the controls...

Edited by Flak Kannon, 08 May 2013 - 03:21 PM.

#4 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

Might be people who don't have Gauss or ERPPCs getting sniped to death, with them only being able to scratch the enemy at their weapons' absolute max range?

Is not having Gauss or ERPPC considered brawler-only? :)

#5 Keifomofutu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts
  • LocationLloydminster

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

Optimistic Brawler Mechs. :)

#6 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

Someone sticks their head out of cover and gets insta-popped by a sniper.
Next person sticks their head out of cover to see what popped them..insta-popped by a sniper.
Next person sticks their head out of cover to see what popped them..insta-popped by a sniper.
Next person catches on that it's probably not smart to stick their head out of cover and goes to the other side of cover for a look, another sniper insta-pops them.

Rest of team rages at how lame the game is and thinks screw it we've lost now anyway, might aswell go out in a blaze of glory.

1-5 damage is probably the amount the sniper victims laser manages to get off before the mech drops.

Edited by Shatterpoint, 09 May 2013 - 01:26 PM.

#7 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

Haven't seen 1-5 damage. Less than 20 more than often. What I do know is at least some of them crash to desktop and the client doesn't tell the disconnection.

#8 Parliment

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 160 posts
  • LocationBehind you ...go ahead and look I dare you.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

New pilots running face first into the enemy.

#9 Truesight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

Well, i had a team with 6 Stalkers, 1 Jager and 1 Catapult as an enemy once, at least it was no Poptarting group, but they moved together with at least 4 PPCs per Stalker...

Well it was around 28 PPCs in that Group that targeted anything that came around the corner, you can imagine the rest...., we had 2 lights to "balance it out", thanks for the matchmaker PGI.

Edited by Truesight, 10 May 2013 - 06:57 AM.

#10 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:15 AM

Running around in a Light mech with an ER PPC... I know the range certain weapons have. Oh you have 6 LLs? Well let me stand out here at just about 900m so I am doing about 9 damage per shot and you are doing less than half a point per laser. :P

#11 zraven7

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationDuluth, Georgia

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

Keep in mind, OP, an AC40 Jager or Catapult can destroy a lot of mechs in 1 to 3 shots to the center torso, and the people who play those a lot get to be a pretty good aim.

#12 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

View PostKyynele, on 09 May 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

Might be people who don't have Gauss or ERPPCs getting sniped to death, with them only being able to scratch the enemy at their weapons' absolute max range?

Is not having Gauss or ERPPC considered brawler-only? :P

Given that Alpine and Tourmaline keep showing up, ECM is still around, and LRMs are still nerfed?

Pretty much, yeah.

#13 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:34 AM

I've done 1 damage in 3 matches so far.
It happens for the reasons described. Usually Alpine and my LL didnt quite reach before I got myself murdered in a sea of PPC, Lasers and AC rounds.

Edited by CygnusX7, 10 May 2013 - 11:37 AM.

#14 Herodes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 340 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

I am old, a noob to gaming and a bad player. So yes, I started with <50 damage for a long long time until I finally figured it out. And given the franchise, I guess I am not alone and you see more bad players and noobs here than in other games.

And ... given the current meta with those alpha-poptart-snipers ... the word "insta-cored" has replaced the word "roflstomp" from before.

#15 King Arthur IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:53 AM

people getting sniped to death before the decided to move out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users