286 replies to this topic

#21 warp103

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 342 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationdaytona Beach fl

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

this is pretty much saying his is a pew pew COD with mechs. Even in the face of nice and nasty ECM Q they careless about the ECM Q.
So to all that spend money DAMN you just got P I M P Slapped. The sad part I spent money for my son's Account. He starting to hate the game.{Feel his hero mech IIyn now sucks}. Now he only play with the ecm Atlas so he can a least get kills. As other have said it best to make new Items underpowered and ramp them up. Not to make op weapon and have the players beg for help. Then PGI wonders why the number of player are going down and noob play and leave. ECM Big issue ,no training for noobs another big issue.

Edited by warp103, 02 January 2013 - 02:04 PM.

#22 Cola

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSheridan

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Nice first step was removing the repair cost fromt he game :P [Garth]

Strongly Disagree.

Not to mention I think the Scotch Vs Whiskey Question was the only one that hadn't already been asked in a prior Q&A.
With almost 3 weeks to read "29A" one would think we would have more then 22 questions answered.

#23 warp103

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 342 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

View PostThontor, on 02 January 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

They are probably waiting until the "new toy" syndrome dies down a bit more before they do or say anything about changes to ECM.

Its already died down signicantly. ECM seems to be far less common these days, and teams with less/no ECM seem to be doing a lot better... People are starting to figure ECM isn't god mode, and it is possible to win without it.

What game you playing. I seen aleast 2 ecm mech a game. Normally times 3-4 of then per game. My son does not even use his purchase{cash} mech only the ecm atlas or the 2d if he realy wants to cheeze people off. 5.5 ktd in ecm .4 in his non ecm mechs.

#24 Boaz Roshak

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 96 posts
  • LocationApperently , back on the island

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Glad to see ask the devs is tripe even after going a few weeks with out answers. Realy would rather no answers then the tripe.

#25 XvDraxvX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 298 posts
  • LocationEscondido CA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

im starting to feel more distressed by PGI and the future of this game.....

ECM, Netcode, heat balance, FF so many things to fix......

Suggestion? ok, stop making mech's, new color's, no paint schemes, and cockpit items and work on the above items....

I know your answer would be "we have 2 separate teams" but might as well merge them until this is addressed.

#26 Jamplier

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationShhhh, we're hunting WABBITS!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

View PostStalaggtIKE, on 02 January 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

How was this question just ignored?

Is it even a real question? "why would you introduce this to the geme?" genius.
Especially since half of the things stated are false, even opposite to their actual state.

#27 warp103

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 342 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

View PostXvDraxvX, on 02 January 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

im starting to feel more distressed by PGI and the future of this game.....

ECM, Netcode, heat balance, FF so many things to fix......

Suggestion? ok, stop making mech's, new color's, no paint schemes, and cockpit items and work on the above items....

I know your answer would be "we have 2 separate teams" but might as well merge them until this is addressed.

lay off the rest and fix the issues. battlestar galactia online just fire all of the San Fan office for the same reason NET code and bugs.I hope is will not be a 1yr like it was here. Forums to said hey DEV team Stop adding ships more weapons and ammo but fix net code and bug other team. Well other team got buff at the cost of the "San fan Add this team"{FIRED just before XMAS}.Sad part right before Xmas and what the forums said the samething fix fix fix no add add add.

Edited by warp103, 02 January 2013 - 02:31 PM.

#28 Khavi Vetali

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 277 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 02 January 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

Leaving the biggest, angriest pile of butt-hurt unaddressed so it can writhe around in the forums for another week was poor form, IMO.

There were at least 33 unique questions regarding ECM in the second round of questions for ATD29. Quite a few of them were tangential, and not regarding core implementation, but a lot were similar to your #2. Yes, they were all ignored. You have a few options at that point. You can gather that they have a command chair update or other response planned, and would rather wait until all the ducks are in a row, or they are continuing to gather data on it, or they feel it is fine. Getting outraged as a lot seem to be doing is a little childish.

I point to this post as to perhaps why ECM was implemented as it is, and considering Paul's response in PCGamer, I'm going to hedge my #3 option.

I better state to avoid getting raged at that I personally feel that ECM as is stands could use a few more counters or better thought out ones (and it looks like that is what is happening), and should perhaps slow down targeting acquisition by an extreme amount, but not stop it completely (edit: from outside the bubble, that is). It may be perceived as broken, but I think it is far from game-breaking.

Edited by Khavi Vetali, 02 January 2013 - 02:58 PM.

#29 MightyMeatShield

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 166 posts
  • LocationWest Coast!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

I for one am not surprised with their answers (or rather lack of providing answers to quality questions). I've come to expect to glean answers from third-party resources first such as NGNG podcasts, PC Gamer articles, etc. rather information showing up on these forums/website (Command Chair sub-forum included) prior.

#30 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

That wasn't a question it was long winded whining.

#31 Farix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 890 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

My first guess is because it was spammed to death. Repeatedly asking the same question over and over again doesn't increase the likelihood that it will be answered. Second, it wasn't in the form of a simple question.

#32 Tolkien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

View PostFarix, on 02 January 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

My first guess is because it was spammed to death. Repeatedly asking the same question over and over again doesn't increase the likelihood that it will be answered. Second, it wasn't in the form of a simple question.

It was still the most popular question by a factor of 8 for 3 weeks running, and had >200 + >80 likes in ATD29 and 29A respectively.

So hundreds of people people in the community were willing to put their name beside the question to say "please address this" and it was addressed with silence. I can only hope that this means they are preparing a response of some sort and want the 2nd attempt at ECM to go off better than this.

In the meantime I personally am dealing with it by fielding a streak COM2D and a laser+streak Raven 3L, both with ECM, and both very fast. Given that the ad for a lead network programmer is still up, I expect to get a few more months of lag shield out of them, and given that ECM mostly neutered the homing missiles that used to counter lights that would run in the open or circle strafe in line, it's a pretty effective build.

I encourage everyone to make the most of ECM while we have this great toy to play with. I feel bad for people like Warp103's son who spent dollars on a mech (I have 4 founders mechs gathering dust) that was 'game changed' by ECM.

#33 Zyllos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Thank you for answering one of my questions.

Regarding the answer, that is good news that you guys are going to think about modifying FF to be balanced with ES sometimes in the future. This is a good step.

#34 Xerik

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

My friends and I were playing on Sunday, 4 man group. 2 matches in, we switched our mechs out for fun, and we ended up not having any ECM. We won 11 out of 13 matches, in most of those matches, our side had no ECM. In about 1/3 of the games I play, there isn't any ECM on the other side, or, because ECM is like like having a big target over your head, they were killed so fast I didn't get to see them.

Yes ECM can suck, isn't that awesome? I love being surprised by a rayven with tag calling in 4 3xLRM15 salvos on me and wiping me out. I love occasional one shots by gauss cats, or being afraid in my atlas that some commando is going to sneak in and kill me in 30 seconds by srms to my back. ECM has made things far less predictable, and far less a straight deathmatch, which IMO was boring.

I appreciate that link to the PC Games where the devs say they aren't going to change ECM (or at least ECM is working as intended). I know the people who hate ecm are going to ignore that link, or say that link isn't enough, or say everyone in the community and devs who likes tough variable play are wrong about their opinions, but really it takes away from this idea that the devs refuse to comment on ECM, and changes it to "The devs refuse to agree with people who don't like how ECM has changed combat", which is a very different complaint.

Personally, I was intrigued by the UI 2.0, and I would have loved to have a screenshot or two with the answer! Thanks for the answers!

#35 Sunstar

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for the information guys.

Personally (as a long time Battlemech (though not in a few years) and Mechwarrior(the pen and paper RPG version of Battlemech) player and someone who loved the old Microsoft Mechwarrior games since MW2) when it comes to ECM (and I have never piloted a ECM Mech in MWO)

I think that it has always been a part of Computer Battlemech and it works fine and as it should (except for radar not being radar in MWO - see below). Pen and paper works more like MWO and required spotters etc.

ECM was never supposed to be "balanced" in the sense that it weighs as much as a medium laser and a light laser and so it affects in the game cannot be quantified as such.

ECM is just a part of the way the Battlemech game concept works, At least in it's computer Fist or 3rd person shooter model.

The concept that every player should have a "balanced" role, a "balanced chance" in a one on one combat is just not Battlemech. In Battlemech a 100 ton Mech is going to kill a 50 ton Mech (maybe not in the novels but 99 times in 100 in game play). Ideally every team should be balanced and work together to support the strengths and weaknesses of the team. With good voice communication this would be more possible. So i'm glad to hear that is on the cards for the future.

On ECM and why it seems so over powered....
Personally I don't like the so called Radar as it is very un-Battlemech like and allows someone to follow you around at 10 or 20 meters and remain unseen. But it is part of the game system that allows for tactics and role play within the game, so I accept it. but don't like it, that's just me and my opinion...

ECM should really counter the 1000m radar system that picks everything up unless it has ECM - so I do agree that with the current Radar system (or lack there of) ECM blocking a line of sight radar lock seems over the top.

But that is because we don't really have radar in the game - we have a Line Of Sight target telemetry relay system that allows for a lock on what you can see and passes that lock on to your team. If we had real radar and only ECM Mechs didn't appear in it - ECM would seem less over powered.

Also - Battlemech as a game never really brings into balance the idea of maneuverability - a fast Mech can move a lot of hexes in a round and therefore get out of range of many weapons if it moves first etc.

But the idea that a Mech can out circle ,out turn another Mech doesn't exist. As such, again personally, I'd like to see changes in Armour to compensate for the Fist Person Shooter nature of MWO.

At the moment (to the best of my knowledge) all the Armour points are double the Armour points from a Battlemech game... this works better as in the FPS MWO we have 3 second rounds not 10 second rounds.

Which means that technically -- Armour should be 3.3 times Standard Battlemech rules - Heat should be as the Battlemech game (you fire 3 times more often and build up 3 times more heat) - Heat sinks should be 3.3 times more effective (so they can counter the fire 3 times more often affect) and Damage should be as the Battlemech game - but as you fire 3 times more often you actually do 3 times more damage in 10 seconds than pen and paper Battlemech. Thus converting a a 10 second pen and paper game round into a 3.3 second First Person Shooter game round.

Any way - I'd prefer a change in Armour - Lights and Mediums should stay as is at 2 x Battlemech standard. Heavies should go to 2.5 times and Assaults should got to 3 times Battlemech standard... Thus keeping with the concept that the heavier the Mech the more combat stick-ability they have and slightly countering the First Person Shooter maneuverability issue where a 30 ton Mech can follow an Atlas and out circle it and kill it with 3-4 shots in the back. Not saying that could not still happen - but it would 50% more difficult.

The counter to this would be that Heavy and Assault Mechs should be more expensive to repair if destroyed than they are but the same if they are only Damaged... meaning they are hard to make money if you actually get destroyed and forcing an overall need in team work for make it possible to play the Huge and Rare Assault Mechs... Remembering that in the Battletech universe the ability to make brand new Mechs is very rare and most Mechs are a lost technology and very expensive to repair or replace...

I, by the way, play Catapults and Cataphracts so I guess in my perfect game I'd get 25% more armour :P

My point is that we all have things that are not to our liking in games and thing we would tweak if we could. but foremost this is a Battlemech game and as such it's going to work mostly as a Battlemech game... ECM seems more broken than it is when considering the intention of electronic warfare in a Battlemech game.

Edited by Sunstar, 02 January 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#36 Khavi Vetali

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 277 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

View PostXerik, on 02 January 2013 - 03:08 PM, said:

Personally, I was intrigued by the UI 2.0, and I would have loved to have a screenshot or two with the answer! Thanks for the answers!

This is an older command chair post, but it covers some of the upgrades that will be in the UI update.

#37 Farix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 890 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

View PostTolkien, on 02 January 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

It was still the most popular question by a factor of 8 for 3 weeks running, and had >200 + >80 likes in ATD29 and 29A respectively.

So hundreds of people people in the community were willing to put their name beside the question to say "please address this" and it was addressed with silence.

It wasn't a question, it was a grandstanding rant that was repeatedly spammed. Of course it wasn't going to get answered. How "popular" it was is unimportant.

#38 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Garth,

Most of us I'm sure, appreciate the replies, but there were ALOT of questions not answered...are they going to be looked at and replied to? (In fact I don't think you answered any of mine...and none were joke questions). Thanks.

#39 Monsoon

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Thanks for finally coming back with some answers.

Also, thanks for trying, but tell DavidB to hurry up that vacation, DavidS needs his answers! :P

Edited by Monsoon, 02 January 2013 - 03:34 PM.

#40 New Breed

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

The alcohol question was clearly more important

DUH! :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users