What Audio Hardware For Mw:o?

26 replies to this topic

#1 Randall Flagg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 590 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

I want to know what Soundcard + Headphone AMP + Headphones to buy for Mechwarrior.

The AKG Q701's come highly recommended for positional audio on the head-fi forums. People say they are quite neutral and don't really have that much bass though. Obviously in Mechwarrior you want to hear the foot steps in the "ATLAS" so a beefy bass would be ideal. I honestly have no idea what headphones to get..The forums say Denon and Grado have good mid-range and bass..does anyone have experience with those brands?

For a AMP I was thinking about getting this:

Ready to use Objective2 (O2) headphone amplifier in our custom enclosure. O2 is an open source amplifier designed by NwAvGuy, with emphasis on benchmark performance and low cost.
http://www.jdslabs.c...etchitem=O2Full

For a soundcard: Creative Soundblaster Z

The Sound Blaster Z, part of the ultra high-performance Z-Series of Sound Blaster® PCI Express sound cards, is an ideal all-round solution for your PC gaming and entertainment needs. It comes complete with the Sound Blaster Beamforming Microphone for crystal clear voice communication.

http://www.creative....undblaster/z/z/

I have been using onboard audio since 2006 in different forms.

#2 Vulpesveritas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Well, here are my four recommendations;
Gaming audio sub-$100;
Corsair Vengeance 1500; possibly the best USB gaming headset on the market, and is a great value. Utilizes Dolby 3D.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16826816005

Gaming audio wireless:
Corsair Vengeance 2000: The 1500 in a wireless version, good range with lossless audio past 25'
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16826816008

High-end gaming audio:
ASUS Xonar Phoebus + RAZER Tiamat (lacks bass, if you want bass you may want to opt for 'overall audio' option)
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16829132054
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16826153089
True 7.1 surround with great positioning. If you play a lot of BF3 you may want to opt for this instead due to the Asus sound card having driver incompatibility with BF3 (and oddly, only BF3.);
Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional + ROCCAT Kave 5.1
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16829102042
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16826436005

High-end audio overall:
HT | OMEGA CLARO II + ROCCAT Kave 5.1
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16829271007
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16826436005

#3 Sir Roland MXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Creative has been underwhelming for the last ten years. I used to swear by Sound Blasters but those days are long, long gone. Anything new they've released post-Audigy is not as powerful as the Audigy series was.

Now, I use an Asus Xonar DG, pretty good sound and a headphone amp all for less than 30 USD. All of that for that price PLUS I'm not giving money to a company to reverse-innovate. Win-win in my book.

As far as headphones I use a Gamecom set. Decent audio and the mic is seriously good. Maybe too good? Anyways I wish I could help you more on the headset side but I can't, I'm probably going to upgrade to a Tiamat 2.2 for the headset with subwoofer experience. If bass is your thing too, you might look into those.

Edited by Sir Roland MXIII, 03 January 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#4 Randall Flagg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 590 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

yes'sir! the gamecom 777s (780s now) are a good headset for the money.

Edited by BDU SKINLESS, 03 January 2013 - 02:44 PM.

#5 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

I still use the Creative Platinum X-Fi xtreme gamer

#6 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

I wouldn't recommend the Tiamat series . . . Too plasticky and if you move the mic while the channel is open EVERYONE hears it. For not much more, the razer blackshark is a MUCH sturdier and better sounding set of headphones. I originally ordered the tiamats before seeing the blacksharks [which were out of stock online] and then found them in a brick and mortar store by luck before the Tiamats came in. The sound on the blacksharks is crisp, clear, and decent low end for headphones, as well.

As far as sound cards, anything Creative Pre "recon 3d" is decent. The Recon 3D is generally regarded as a downgrade when compared to the old X-fi series sound processors, though I've read stories on both sides of that one. I haven't needed to replace, so I'm sticking with what I have. Also, for the record, Asus was essentially buying their audio chips for the Xonar cards from Creative, unless something changed when Creative moved to the recon 3D chips. IN any case, with the advances in modern digital sound, a THX certified realtek onboard card will probably give you similar quality sound compared to an aftermarket card. These days you really can't tell much of a difference, even as an audiophile [as an audiophile let's face it, any digital music you run through your system is going to have more degradation from the digital conversion to begin with, even if it's in a "losless" format]

FWIW, I have a set of mid level sennheisers for audio listening, the blacksharks for gaming, and I output either through my mac mini's standard audio out or my PC's X-fi 5.1 usb sound card [my onboard card has . . issues].

Another plus to the blacksharks, they work with my S3! The headset comes with a splitter for standard dual plug in headphone/mic, but is capable of working with the fancy phone headset/double duty mac jacks ^^

Edited by Sen, 03 January 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#7 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

View PostSen, on 03 January 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

I wouldn't recommend the Tiamat series . . . Too plasticky and if you move the mic while the channel is open EVERYONE hears it. For not much more, the razer blackshark is a MUCH sturdier and better sounding set of headphones. I originally ordered the tiamats before seeing the blacksharks [which were out of stock online] and then found them in a brick and mortar store by luck before the Tiamats came in. The sound on the blacksharks is crisp, clear, and decent low end for headphones, as well.

As far as sound cards, anything Creative Pre "recon 3d" is decent [xonar buys their audio chipsets from creative guys. . unless something has changed recently] but with the advances in modern digital sound, a THX certified realtek onboard card will probably give you similar quality sound. These days you really can't tell much of a difference, even as an audiophile [as an audiophile let's face it, any digital music you run through your system is going to have more degradation from the digital conversion to begin with, even if it's in a "losless" format]

I have a set of mid level sennheisers for audio listening, the blacksharks for gaming, and I output either through my mac mini's standard audio out or my PC's X-fi 5.1 usb sound card [my onboard card has . . issues].

Another plus to the blacksharks, they work with my S3! The headset comes with a splitter for standard dual plug in headphone/mic, but is capable of working with the fancy phone headset/double duty mac jacks ^^

The blacksharks are only 2.0 whereas the Tiamat is true 7.1 surround, which is the reason to recommend them for gaming - in the positioning.

#8 Sir Roland MXIII

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

View PostVulpesveritas, on 03 January 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

The blacksharks are only 2.0 whereas the Tiamat is true 7.1 surround, which is the reason to recommend them for gaming - in the positioning.

True but I was refering to the 2.2 Tiamat.

Sen, as for the Blacksharks, I'll give them a look but if they don't have subwoofer drivers then it's a non-starter.

EDIT - Wow, Sen, the Gamecoms I have already are more powerful than the Blackshark. Um. Sorry, but, that's really hilarious that you recomended me to get something that not only doesn't have what I desire but also isn't as good as what I have already.

Sure the construction of them is better. But that's not a selling point for me. I want my cannons to be LOUD and EARSHATTERING, Blackshark isn't as capable of that as what I have, and even the Gamecoms aren't good enough for me.

EDIT II - Just to illustrate and underline what I mean and why I say that, heres a side by side of the two.
Drivers: Gamecom = Blackshark
Frequency Response: Gamecom = Blackshark
Impedance: Gamecom > Blackshark

I have a headphone amp, so anything under 32 ohm impedance isn't something I can use. Gamecom is 32, Blackshark is 29. So, literally, I cannot use the Blacksharks because it wouldn't be SAFE unless I turned off the amp, which is... regressive. I bought that amp card so I could use that amp. I'm not about to consider buying something that negates that.

EDIT III - One last thing, sorry if it seems I'm insulting you, as I intend no offense whatsoever. I just got a chuckle out of this is all. <grin>

Edited by Sir Roland MXIII, 03 January 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#9 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

Sure the construction of them is better. But that's not a selling point for me. I want my cannons to be LOUD and EARSHATTERING, Blackshark isn't as capable of that as what I have, and even the Gamecoms aren't good enough for me.

I truly do apolgize, part of my criteria for audio gear is being able to interpret what a given sound is actually SUPPOSED to be, rather than just a loud squeal that qualifies as "loud" and "earthshattering". I can fart into a megaphone and produce what you desire.

And then I read the 2nd half of your post, but I'm letting my last paragraph stand because it's about the funniest thing I've thought of in awhile, and it seems such a shame to waste it. What I can't fathom is. . if you're already at this level of sound, How are you [not deaf] still seeking more???

Granted, for regular sound I run a set of M-Audio self amplified "monitors" which give me enough clarity and volume to keep my desk relatively free of gear, and the blacksharks/sennheisers for audio clarity when external audio just isn't feasible. The blacksharks are run through an X-fi 5.1 USB and are clear enough to give me excellent positional data. . yet loud enough to make me deaf after about an hour. . and I'm fairly certain there's no overly insane amplification in the sound card to warrant it.

Or in short, you're a level or two above me and thanks to the fuzzy blanket of medication I'm having a hard time envisioning your desired end result. And to make it worse, now I want higher end audio, thanx :)

And I almost forgot the tiamat came in a 7.1 package, as it's A) not my thing [good stereo > gimicky 7.1 anyday] and

B ) not my thing [I prefer as pure a stereo signal as I can get, and 7.1 is designed for a completely different application]

The price tag doesn't help either :D

[post generated with a healthy dose of humor, good cheer, and light hearted sarcasm and is made under the influence of prescription pain medication. ]

Edited by Sen, 04 January 2013 - 07:58 AM.

#10 Randall Flagg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 590 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

The Razer Blacksharks look pretty sweet for the money.

The drivers for the headphones have to be fairly fast for deathmetal while mech'n to.

Edited by BDU SKINLESS, 06 January 2013 - 01:22 PM.

#11 Sir Roland MXIII

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

By the way, I completely forgot to mention something BDU. Well until I reread your OP and realized that, I have experience with Grados, and they are just drop-dead-wickedly-GOOD. I blame the pair my music-recording father gave me for turning me into the audiophile I am today. They are really, REALLY sweet. I don't have experience with the other brand but the only thing keeping me from using Grados for gaming is the fact they don't have headset mounted microphones.

View PostSen, on 04 January 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:

I truly do apolgize, part of my criteria for audio gear is being able to interpret what a given sound is actually SUPPOSED to be, rather than just a loud squeal that qualifies as "loud" and "earthshattering". I can fart into a megaphone and produce what you desire.

And then I read the 2nd half of your post, but I'm letting my last paragraph stand because it's about the funniest thing I've thought of in awhile, and it seems such a shame to waste it. What I can't fathom is. . if you're already at this level of sound, How are you [not deaf] still seeking more???

Oh that's easy to answer. I can get the level of bass I would like by maxing out the volume on my currnet setup. However that maxes out the volume on everything else as well. So the trick to getting the bass I want, at a non-deafening decibel level, is having seperate discrete subwoofer drivers. Granted, both the 7.1 and 2.2 Tiamats have that. But I don't need true 7.1 surround, really. I just want the bass without losing my hearing. Cake + eating it too, and all that jazz.

Granted, for regular sound I run a set of M-Audio self amplified "monitors" which give me enough clarity and volume to keep my desk relatively free of gear, and the blacksharks/sennheisers for audio clarity when external audio just isn't feasible. The blacksharks are run through an X-fi 5.1 USB and are clear enough to give me excellent positional data. . yet loud enough to make me deaf after about an hour. . and I'm fairly certain there's no overly insane amplification in the sound card to warrant it.

Or in short, you're a level or two above me and thanks to the fuzzy blanket of medication I'm having a hard time envisioning your desired end result. And to make it worse, now I want higher end audio, thanx :)

Hehe, sorry about that, but as I stated above getting a hand-me-down pair of Grado headset did the same thing to me. Grados are what studio recording artists use, as well as sound technicians, etc. Or at least one of two or three brands they use. Thing about Grado is, every headset they make wins awards. That's a hard thing to equal, much less surpass.

And I almost forgot the tiamat came in a 7.1 package, as it's A) not my thing [good stereo > gimicky 7.1 anyday] and

B ) not my thing [I prefer as pure a stereo signal as I can get, and 7.1 is designed for a completely different application]

The price tag doesn't help either ;)

Well with high price, usually comes worthwhile product. Of course, in the computer world theres an endless supply of examples to the contrary. Windows for example... But Razer audio products are one of those lines that people mostly swear by. I agree with you as far as the 7.1 goes. It's more gimick than anything, but I'm tempted to try them.

Although using a Creative X-Fi, you get better positional audio for games with that than you would any headset on it's own. Together, on the other hand, would be an interesting experiment - but one I will not perform, Creative no longer meets my needs for audio outside of gaming.

[post generated with a healthy dose of humor, good cheer, and light hearted sarcasm and is made under the influence of prescription pain medication. ]

Heh, indeed, humor is one the best medicines, but I do hope whatever is making you take pain medication clears up soon.

#12 Randall Flagg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 590 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Something like this:

Soundblaster Z--> SPDIF cable with 2x male ends--> TOSLINK to RCA Adapter-->Analog cables---> SCHIIT LYR AMP ---> AKG 702 Headphones.

Headphone AMP:
http://schiit.com/ca...0&products_id=3

Soundcard:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16829102048

Headphones:
http://www.amazon.co...eywords=AKG+702

Adapter:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16815158316

Edited by BDU SKINLESS, 06 January 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#13 TheFlayedman

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

cmon the soundcard market is dead, the onboard audio on modern motherboards is more than capable for sound effects and music.

#14 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

Unless you do music creation you don't need a sound card.

Also, if you're interested in desktop speakers at all you should consider the m-Audio AV40 since they are fabulous quality for the money. Better at music than explosions but they've got good low range as well. You can probably find a refurbished set for $100 or so fairly easily and then add a cheap mic for when you need to talk. An audio system like this is much easier to live with every day than headphones IMO.

If you for some reason want ear buds, klipsh makes a nice set that are really good value for money. I use them for music at work since they're nice and portable and keep the distractions (AKA coworkers who are morons and think idle chat is good for morale or something) away. They work quite well for late night gaming when you have insomnia as well.

For headphones, well... see the above posts.

#15 Sir Roland MXIII

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

View PostTheFlayedman, on 06 January 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

cmon the soundcard market is dead, the onboard audio on modern motherboards is more than capable for sound effects and music.

That's true for deaf people and those who don't care. For the rest of us, there's still good choices in the discrete audio card area, it's just that Creative flushed it's edge down the toilet about 6-8 years ago and hasn't looked back since.

ASUS and HT Omega are where it's at now, although for pure gaming, Creative is still pretty good - just not for anything else.

EDIT - And... in other news... I just managed to yank the headset cord out of the computer in a bizarre set of circumstances and break the plug off inside the Asus audio card. GRRR! Guess I'll be buying a Tiamat 2.2 tomorrow, rather than the Logitech G600 I wanted. <BLEEPBLEEPBLEEP>! Oh well. I can report back here after I try them out I guess.

Edited by Sir Roland MXIII, 06 January 2013 - 04:40 PM.

#16 Randall Flagg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 590 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

View PostSir Roland MXIII, on 06 January 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

EDIT - And... in other news... I just managed to yank the headset cord out of the computer in a bizarre set of circumstances and break the plug off inside the Asus audio card. GRRR!

LOL!

gg

#17 Sir Roland MXIII

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

View PostBDU SKINLESS, on 06 January 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

LOL!

gg

Heh, aye. Although in further researching my former headset it turns out I had the 380s, not the 780s. So I was more in need of an upgrade than I thought. Providence has an odd sense of humour it seems.

EDIT - Oh man. These 2.2 Tiamats are pure YARRRRRRRRR. LOVE 'em. Absolutely, completely, wickedly good.

Edited by Sir Roland MXIII, 07 January 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#18 madcatmike

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

View PostVulpesveritas, on 03 January 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

High-end gaming audio:
ASUS Xonar Phoebus + RAZER Tiamat (lacks bass, if you want bass you may want to opt for 'overall audio' option)
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16829132054
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16826153089

I beg to differ... The Razer Tiamat 7.1 can have absolutely wonderful bass in 7.1 mode. The problem is that the headset does not natively route to the subs when the headset is in 7.1 mode. I've theorized before that it's a software solution. I managed to get it working correctly on my older soundblaster.

With a Phoebus, I've read that there should be a setting for something like "Phoebux flex bass". Set that to on and set the crossover frequency to something like 80hz or whatever you feel comfortable with. There's a solution if you want to use onboard sound with this headset too. It's a bit more involved though.

#19 Sir Roland MXIII

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Well, I got those Tiamat 2.2s, and really loved them, until last night, when I was removing a usb drive from my front panel, where I had the mic plugged in at, and I lost the left drivers. So, no huge deal, just had to wait until today when I could go replace them. So I did, and the new pair worked great until I had a static charge jump from my finger to the in-line volume control. Of course, this killed the drivers, this time the right ones.

Getting something... else, tomorrow. Not Razer, either.

EDIT - Of course, I say that, and then I go looking at reviews for other 'sets, and frankly, I can't really see myself going back to non-subwoofer so easily. Let's hope third time is the charm... <sigh>

Edited by Sir Roland MXIII, 18 January 2013 - 12:48 AM.

#20 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

If you buy a Soundblaster DO NOT buy the "Recon" series (including Z) - its bad, its onboard sound sold as dedicated soundcard.

Get yourself an "X-Fi Titanium" or "X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty" - otherwise chance is its an old relabled model with an old generation soundchip.

Edited by Thorqemada, 18 January 2013 - 02:32 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users